As heard at the gun store

So was in Bass Pro yesterday looking to spend a gift card on some supplies and see this older guy march up to the counter and ask for a FA-2 form. The guy working the counter says "you much mean a FA-10 Form" you can get those online. The customer again says FA-2 form and goes on to describe the form needed to sell a firearm to someone, "you know like if I wanted to sell this guy a gun we would both fill out this FA-2 form and file one with the state and each keep on" The clerk again says that it's called a FA-10 form.
Customer says he has been to multiple pd's as well as MSP police and no one will give him a FA-2. Clerk while still remaining very patient says that it's a FA-10 form and that a FA-2 does not exist.
Customer's reply?..."Look do you want to argue about this or are you going to give me a FA-2 form?" I had had enough of this guy at this point but couldn't stop watching, it was like a car wreck in slow motion...The clerk said, "if you want a FA-2 form I have no idea what that is so I can't help you...but if you want a FA-10 I can try and help". I kind of lost track of the guy at this point but I think he just left the store.[rolleyes]

Should have given him the form: http://www.g3visa.com/visa_code/pdf/Philippines05NY.pdf

I was informed yesterday by a customer in Callaghan's that if you moved into MA with a post-ban large capacity magazine you were OK since it didn't need to be Mass-compliant when you were moving in. [rolleyes]

He was a NESer, too.

So was in Bass Pro yesterday looking to spend a gift card on some supplies and see this older guy march up to the counter and ask for a FA-2 form. The guy working the counter says "you much mean a FA-10 Form" you can get those online. The customer again says FA-2 form and goes on to describe the form needed to sell a firearm to someone, "you know like if I wanted to sell this guy a gun we would both fill out this FA-2 form and file one with the state and each keep on" The clerk again says that it's called a FA-10 form.
Customer says he has been to multiple pd's as well as MSP police and no one will give him a FA-2. Clerk while still remaining very patient says that it's a FA-10 form and that a FA-2 does not exist.
Customer's reply?..."Look do you want to argue about this or are you going to give me a FA-2 form?" I had had enough of this guy at this point but couldn't stop watching, it was like a car wreck in slow motion...The clerk said, "if you want a FA-2 form I have no idea what that is so I can't help you...but if you want a FA-10 I can try and help". I kind of lost track of the guy at this point but I think he just left the store.[rolleyes]

Maybe it really is an "FA Two" form. As they say, there are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.

I was informed yesterday by a customer in Callaghan's that if you moved into MA with a post-ban large capacity magazine you were OK since it didn't need to be Mass-compliant when you were moving in. [rolleyes]

He was a NESer, too.

He probably owns property here, so he knows.

While at Dick's in Worcester a few months back:
ME: (thinking out loud) "Where is your pistol ammo..." - it was hidden in the bottom right corner behind some popup stand.
Clerk(very young assistant manager? judging by his keys): "Sorry sir, we don't sell anything related to pistols here. Only rifle and shotgun stuff.
Me: "hrmmm... what is that box of 9mm?"
Clerk: "Oh what?? I had no idea!"

Me: "Alright, how much is a box of that Remington .45 Auto?"
Clerk: fumbles around with his scanner for a few minutes and finally gets the price "$25"
Me: "thats a little pricey..." - "I used to work for a store called Big 5 back on the westcoast and it is similar to Dicks sporting goods, and we used to sell Mosin Nagants. Do you guys sell any? I don't see any on the racks"
Clerk: "No we only sell popular brands like Savage, Mossberg, Etc..."
Me: "Alright, thanks for your time."

He was a NESer, too.
I have been told that by many different gun shop owners... And I simply have to tell them "let's agree to disagree"

I was in a gun shop in RI today and heard some gems (I mean I learned something).

The kid behind the counter was helping another youngish person and I heard him say. "If you get shot in the leg with a .22 it will bounce off the bone, but if you get shot in the leg with a 9mm it will bounce around and come out of your head. The 9mm is a nasty nasty little round." He actually said it on two occasions.

Then I heard him say " You should buy a handgun because there will always be someone around with a rifle to take the long shot" preceded by "The only people who can make long shots are SWAT."

He said a couple more dumb things, but I was trying not to listen to him. The worst part was the people he was talking to were agreeing with him. They'll be out on the street repeating everything they heard.

Kittery wouldn't sell me 9mm ammo today for my Hi Point. (18 years old)

I told them specifically it was for a rifle, the guy was all douche-y and basically didn't give a shit.

(i need to get it there anyways, i have a giftcard lol)

I told them specifically it was for a rifle, the guy was all douche-y and basically didn't give a shit.

I'm pretty sure Maine is 18 across the board for ammo.... but my memory could be failing me.

If this thread accomplishes nothing else, it clearly shows the number of a**h***s out there who have no clue, but are more than willing to spew their BS.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but where do you get Federal .223 in NH for 32 cents? I just bought my first AR and the best price I've seen so far is $40 per 100 at Wally World.

Thanks.

I've been paying .353 per round for Federal American Eagle .223 55gr. at Cabela's, and that includes two dry-storage boxes per every 1,200 rounds that you buy so you can carry them home.

Thats pretty funny since you could buy any caliber you want to go into a contender pistol.

Went to buy my nice new SR22 today at FS and while the bg check was going on heard a gem. *realized after typing that this turned into a mini rant on idiots*

Basically what I gathered of it was this older gentlemen who had no knowledge of firearms at all, came in and asked one of the guys behind the counter something to the extent of:

Customer: "Yeah, I want a Beretta"
Employee: "Beretta? Do you want the 92FS?"
Customer: "I don’t know, I just want a small Beretta"
Employee: "Alright well why do you want a Beretta?"
Customer: "Oh well I have a small cabin up in NH that I want it for"
Employee: “Oh, so something maybe like this?” *showing him a smaller looking Beretta, excuse my ignorance to the model*

So the guy behind the counter (same guys who sold me my Ruger 10/22, can’t remember his name but is a really nice guy, I think it was Ed) starts showing him a few things and asking him some question trying to find out what the guy wants. At this point I was a little distracted so I think I might have missed something but all of a sudden I hear

Customer: *in a very aggressive voice* "LISTEN, I don’t know what I want, I want something small, maybe a Beretta, if I knew what I wanted I wouldnt be asking you for your help, either you want to help me out or not but you don’t have to be rude about it!"

There was maybe around 15 customers in there as well as the 7 or so employees and at that moment the place went silent and pretty much every head in the place looked up and at the guy.

Employee: *standing there with gun in hand shrugging shoulders* "Listen I don’t know what you want me to say, I'm trying to help you out but you have no idea what you want!"

That’s when the gentleman came back with all my bg check so I kinda stopped paying attention, but as I was getting ready to leave I see another guy helping Mr. Beretta (honestly I probably would have just told the dude to f*** off and get out of the store he was being that much of an asshat, but FS handled it VERY well). This guy was asking "Well what do I do, do I pull the slide back? How do I put the magazine in?" blah, blah, stupid question, blah, blah.

Now this is only the fourth time I've been in FS (if you include Bob's Indoor range maybe all together 9 times in a gun store in general) but I was shocked to hear something like this. Every time I've walking into the place I've known or had a damn good idea what I was going there for (unfortunately walking out with more than I want to sometimes, but that another problem!) I’m sorry but if you’re going to buy a drill press from the hardware store, you have an idea of what you want, maybe how to use it, and have most likely done some RESEARCH. Either way it aggravated me that this guy would be that much of a jerk to the employee, when he himself had no clue what he was doing there. Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but a gun store seems like the last place you'd want to go looking for a fight/argument.

Last edited:
Maybe one just needs a few manners instead.

" Hi , I'm a noob. Please be patient with me while I ask a lot of questions without being a dikfor. I'd like a small handgun. What do you have ? "

" Hi , I'm a noob. Please be patient with me while I ask a lot of questions without being a dikfor. I'd like a small handgun. What do you have ? "

Although I generally agree with this statement. I don't think that a CUSTOMER should need to politely ask a RETAILER to be patient. Part of being a good sales person is to read your clientele and aid them in their decision.

This is true as well. Granted I knew what I wanted the first time I went in and did my research, I pretty much did say to the guy helping me. "Just so you know, this is my first purchase. I have an idea what I want, but please school me on it"

It really was just the way he went about it so rudely; not so much that he had no clue what he wanted; that threw me off. After rereading my post, I thought I’d clarify on that a little.

Went to buy my nice new SR22 today at FS and while the bg check was going on heard a gem. *realized after typing that this turned into a mini rant on idiots*

Basically what I gathered of it was this older gentlemen who had no knowledge of firearms at all, came in and asked one of the guys behind the counter something to the extent of:

Customer: "Yeah, I want a Beretta"
Employee: "Beretta? Do you want the 92FS?"
Customer: "I don’t know, I just want a small Beretta"
Employee: "Alright well why do you want a Beretta?"
Customer: "Oh well I have a small cabin up in NH that I want it for"
Employee: “Oh, so something maybe like this?” *showing him a smaller looking Beretta, excuse my ignorance to the model*

So the guy behind the counter (same guys who sold me my Ruger 10/22, can’t remember his name but is a really nice guy, I think it was Ed) starts showing him a few things and asking him some question trying to find out what the guy wants. At this point I was a little distracted so I think I might have missed something but all of a sudden I hear

Customer: *in a very aggressive voice* "LISTEN, I don’t know what I want, I want something small, maybe a Beretta, if I knew what I wanted I wouldnt be asking you for your help, either you want to help me out or not but you don’t have to be rude about it!"

There was maybe around 15 customers in there as well as the 7 or so employees and at that moment the place went silent and pretty much every head in the place looked up and at the guy.

Employee: *standing there with gun in hand shrugging shoulders* "Listen I don’t know what you want me to say, I'm trying to help you out but you have no idea what you want!"

That’s when the gentleman came back with all my bg check so I kinda stopped paying attention, but as I was getting ready to leave I see another guy helping Mr. Beretta (honestly I probably would have just told the dude to f*** off and get out of the store he was being that much of an asshat, but FS handled it VERY well). This guy was asking "Well what do I do, do I pull the slide back? How do I put the magazine in?" blah, blah, stupid question, blah, blah.

Now this is only the fourth time I've been in FS (if you include Bob's Indoor range maybe all together 9 times in a gun store in general) but I was shocked to hear something like this. Every time I've walking into the place I've known or had a damn good idea what I was going there for (unfortunately walking out with more than I want to sometimes, but that another problem!) I’m sorry but if you’re going to buy a drill press from the hardware store, you have an idea of what you want, maybe how to use it, and have most likely done some RESEARCH. Either way it aggravated me that this guy would be that much of a jerk to the employee, when he himself had no clue what he was doing there. Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but a gun store seems like the last place you'd want to go looking for a fight/argument.

Sounds like this guy should have started a "what gun should I buy?" thread on NES.....so he could have gotten totally fxcking confused.

meh.
I was at a store in the worcester area that I wont name because im hoping the store manager was just having a bad day....

but Im looking at knives and some of their shitty rifles when I decide to check out the pistol case. Hes talking to a middle aged couple about handguns, how to go through the classes, what to look for and he's showing them firearms.

great, at least he's being attentive and answering their questions about how to do it.....attentive my ass - the woman is standing there, she's muzzle sweeping him, her husband then ME.....

I tell her - ma'am, while Im aware you were told it was unloaded, really, please don't point that at me...its really unsafe, not to mention a bit disconscerting.

- but its empty. you know its empty.

Yes, you, YOU know its empty, Im going to assume that it is, but I really dont know, and at the end of the day, its a basic rule of gun safety, please point that at the floor or somethng that you don't intend to kill.

the shopkeeper was looking pissed. I threw my hands up and walked out. dumb**** still had it aimed at her husband.

This guy was asking "Well what do I do, do I pull the slide back? How do I put the magazine in?" blah, blah, stupid question, blah, blah.

This is fairly common especially amongst older folks. Nothing against them, it's just more common. Kinda like you and them are apeaking two different languages.

Although I generally agree with this statement. I don't think that a CUSTOMER should need to politely ask a RETAILER to be patient. Part of being a good sales person is to read your clientele and aid them in their decision.

^ that. A professional retailer who has good customer service skills will not get upset or flustered at a minor instance like the OP described.

I wish Four Seasons did this on Saturdays. There isn't really anywhere for a line to form, and then I could browse accessories while I waited.

Jim, that's certainly a rare find. I bought some components at Blue Northern and had a good experience. Nice shop with nice people.

I was at Four Seasons yesterday and the place was packed. They have a number sign up but it just stayed on #1 the whole time lol.

I was at Four Seasons yesterday and the place was packed. They have a number sign up but it just stayed on #1 the whole time lol.

All of Carl's customers are #1! It may take a while, but when he or one of his folks are taking care of you, you're the only one in the store. There's a reason he's so busy all the time, and it ain't (only) price!

I was at Dick's today buying some stuff when I heard the two guys behind the counter...

Guy 1: Have you seen these new PDX .410 rounds?
Guy 2: No.
Guy 1: I saw a guy shooting these at a car last weekend. (I perked up) He had an AR-15 set up for .410s. The thing was awesome.

I took a peek at Guy 1's name tag, asked if he was MassMark and introduced myself. What a fun way to meet a fellow NES'r.

Then I lugged all of my equipment up to the counter. The young girl who rang me up saw the clay pigeons and said "That looks like a lot of fun." I confirmed that it was. If she wasn't half my age I would have offered to take her shooting, but that would have bordered on creepy.

heard this last week:
customer: "I'm looking to buy my first handgun and I think i've narrowed it down to a 40caliber glock"

employee: "Here's a nice glock 27 that we just got in"

customer: "ya it looks nice but it says 40s&w, is that a smith and wesson?"

employee: "no its just the name of the caliber, its a glock that shoots 40cal s&w"

customer: "well do you have any 40caliber glocks that don't shoot smith and wesson?"

employee: "every 40caliber is labeled s&w"

customer: "so should i just buy a smith and wesson then?"

at that point i couldn't keep myself from busting out laughing at the guy so i had to go to the other side of the shop and didn't hear the rest of the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom