• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

As heard at the gun store

I remember I was in a store (not mentioning names) and overheard a conversation where the salesman was recommending a cleaning and lube product "because it seals in the pores in the metal and makes the barrel stronger."

I'll take a wild assed guess- they were trying to sell him Militec-1. [laugh]

-Mike

I'll take a wild assed guess- they were trying to sell him Militec-1. [laugh]

I was blissfully ignorant of what the heck 'Militec-1' was, but you made me go look it up. I just took a quick look at the website, and beside making my eyes bleed, is it me or does that guy have a screw loose somewhere?

"I will continue to fight the system bureaucrats that place their comfortable jobs over the immediate needs of our troops in combat."

Yeah, fight the good fight! Oh, wait a minute... what are you fighting? uh, the fact that they won't buy gobs and gobs of your product? [rolleyes]

I was blissfully ignorant of what the heck 'Militec-1' was, but you made me go look it up. I just took a quick look at the website, and beside making my eyes bleed, is it me or does that guy have a screw loose somewhere?

"I will continue to fight the system bureaucrats that place their comfortable jobs over the immediate needs of our troops in combat."

Yeah, fight the good fight! Oh, wait a minute... what are you fighting? uh, the fact that they won't buy gobs and gobs of your product? [rolleyes]

Traitor!!! You are so looking to get smote.

(Yes, I had to look it up too. The past tense verb form to "smite" as in "to smite the non-believer" is actually smote, and not, as I guessed, smoted.

I was in LA after the Midwest and curiosity got the best of me so I looked up some gun stores. Only thing I could find open at night was the LAX Gun Range, which is right near LAX and where I was staying while waiting for my flight home.

Me: "So what do I have to do to rent a gun"
Employee: "Are you by yourself?"
Me: "yes"
Employee: "you need to have someone with you. so, come back with a buddy"
Me: "does it help that I have a permit in another state?"
Employee: "no"
Me: "um, oh, okay"

Talking to one of the trainers--nice guy btw--he confirms what I sort of figured out: they don't let loners rent guns because of suicide risk. Not sure if that's something they've experienced or just a general fear. He thought it was kind of a stupid policy himself.

Trainer: "Do they let you have guns at all in Mass? Like BB guns even?"
Me: "I thought CA was worse than Mass, no deals on preban mags here"
Trainer: "well how can anyone tell when a mag was made if it doesn't say LE ONLY"
Me: "Glocks have different generations and they moved the caliber stamp"
Trainer: "oh, what about this one here [pulls out a G19 Mag]"
Me: "Looks post ban to me but most people can't tell"

FWIW, the rentals were $5 to $20 and nothing all that exciting. I was just killing time and figured if I was going to be involved in a shooting in Inglewood I'd rather be on the operator side [wink]

And for a completely random photo I saw this just minutes after leaving the airport. The photo doesn't do it justice but that pole made it to the shifter somehow--someone's been playing grand theft auto.

vet.jpg

Last edited:
Trainer: "well how can anyone tell when a mag was made if it doesn't say LE ONLY"
Me: "Glocks have different generations and they moved the caliber stamp"
Trainer: "oh, what about this one here [pulls out a G19 Mag]"
Me: "Looks post ban to me but most people can't tell"
[hmmm] Apologies for the multiple quotes but...
These five Glock 21 magazines were purchased in the late 90s while I was living in MA. If you look at the two magazines with the Grams Engineering base plates you can see the left hand magazine has the markings "up high" while the two on each side have the lower markings. Since then I have moved to NH and enjoyed living free so I've purchased "post ban" Glock 21 magazines but I have documents that show I purchased three "pre ban" magazines (at pre ban prices) while in MA so I consider it fairly well documented that these high marking pre ban magazines exist.

ma_glock_mags.jpg

-Nat
That info is not 100% reliable.

- Patrick Sweeney in his book on Glocks points out the fallacy with the assumption about the caliber marking being "high" meaning post-9/13/94.

- One of the AFS management folks has a G21 with pre-ban hi-caps, purchased during the Fed Ban with "high markings".

- As I reported earlier, probably in this thread (no time to look), per Glock-Legal Dept and Glock-Tech Supt, there is NO definitive way to tell pre-ban from post-ban mags. That is there position and what they have told a number of MA DA's that were looking to prosecute people.
Glock technical personnel have made it clear that there are a number of iterations of their magazines, and that for example the location of the caliber designation does not prove that a magazine is post or pre-ban in any way manner, or form. The only hard fast rule to follow is that post ban magazines either have the LEO/Military markings on the back of the magazine, or after the sunset of the AWB, newer 4th generation magazines have very noticeable changes in the magazine body dimensions, up near the magazine lips. It is ultimately the burden of any LEO and prosecutor to prove that a magazine is post ban, and possesed illegaly by a private citizen. The prosecution will have no problem doing so if the LEO/military markings are present on the magazine body, and/or you are in possesion of a new 4th generation magazine that has noticeably different magazine body dimensions up near the magazine lips. If you have magazines that do not possess one of these two features, you probably have pre-ban magazines.

I love to visit gun stores for the shopping of course and all the interesting people I meet. So traveling recently in the midwest I ran across these folks:

Owner: (talking all sorts of smack about everything pistols)
Me: I have a Sig 226 in 9 mm--I really like it
Owner: Are you in law enforcement
Me: no
Owner: because that's a cops' gun
Me: [speechless]
Owner: cops carry that

Store #2:

Me: Can I see this AR (after talking about all sorts of things with the guy and telling him I'm from Mass.)
Employee #1: OK
Employee #2 interjects: We can't legally sell you anything therefore we can't legally show you anything
Me: I thought I could buy long arms but not handguns unless there's some state law that forbids it. I'd have it shipped to an FFL if necessary
Employee #2: I could only sell you long arms if your state touches my state
Employee #3: There are two exceptions, if you have a valid hunting license or [long thoughtful pause] you are in a shooting competition
Me: [speechless]
Employee #2: [in a Mafioso like voice] show it to him

and honorable mention:

Cabela's sign that reads "please take a number". They actually have a deli-like take-a-number system.

I guess that I will beat the holy Scrivener to the punch. Anyways, federal law allows interstate commerce. Yet, it allows latitude to the states. You can not legally buy a longarm in VT, if you are a resident from ME. VT's statute is compliant with federal law and specifies that residents of adjacent states may purchase longarms.

South Carolina is like this.

You can not buy anything in Illinois as you do not have a FOID unless you are a resident. I believe this applies even if you have a C&R. You may possess in Illinois with a valid LICENSE from another state. This is one of the vagarities that IL designed to catch all of those people living in free states without licenses.

bill

You may possess in Illinois with a valid LICENSE from another state. This is one of the vagarities that IL designed to catch all of those people living in free states without licenses.

bill
Not according to the Illinois State Police:
If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
Unloaded, and
Enclosed in a case, and
Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state
I am legally elegible to possess and acquire firearms and ammunition in Ohio without any license or permit at all. Therefore, I can transport and use firearms while visiting Illinois as long as I comply with their transport laws.

Not according to the Illinois State Police:
I am legally elegible to possess and acquire firearms and ammunition in Ohio without any license or permit at all. Therefore, I can transport and use firearms while visiting Illinois as long as I comply with their transport laws.

Did you read the actual statute or case law? I do not rely upon brochures from ISP or policy statements displayed on websites.

I just reviewed the statute after I saw your quote.. You can not take the gun out of the case unless you have a hunting license and are engaged in hunting or you are at a range. If you have a valid license from another state then you may take it out of a case.

You can not legally take the gun out of the case to defend your hotel room without a valid CCW license from another state.

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑2)
Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
(a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,

stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm

ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
(1) United States Marshals, while engaged in the

operation of their official duties;
(2) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States

or the National Guard, while engaged in the operation of their official duties;
(3) Federal officials required to carry firearms,

while engaged in the operation of their official duties;
(4) Members of bona fide veterans organizations

which receive firearms directly from the armed forces of the United States, while using the firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition;
(5) Nonresident hunters during hunting season, with

valid nonresident hunting licenses and while in an area where hunting is permitted; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
(6) Those hunters exempt from obtaining a hunting

license who are required to submit their Firearm Owner's Identification Card when hunting on Department of Natural Resources owned or managed sites;
(7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range

recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
(8) Nonresidents while at a firearm showing or

display recognized by the Department of State Police; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and

enclosed in a case;
(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or

registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;
(11) Unemancipated minors while in the custody and

immediate control of their parent or legal guardian or other person in loco parentis to the minor if the parent or legal guardian or other person in loco parentis to the minor has a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card;
(12) Color guards of bona fide veterans

organizations or members of bona fide American Legion bands while using firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition;
(13) Nonresident hunters whose state of residence

does not require them to be licensed or registered to possess a firearm and only during hunting season, with valid hunting licenses, while accompanied by, and using a firearm owned by, a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and while in an area within a commercial club licensed under the Wildlife Code where hunting is permitted and controlled, but in no instance upon sites owned or managed by the Department of Natural Resources;
(14) Resident hunters who are properly authorized to

hunt and, while accompanied by a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, hunt in an area within a commercial club licensed under the Wildlife Code where hunting is permitted and controlled; and
(15) A person who is otherwise eligible to obtain a

Firearm Owner's Identification Card under this Act and is under the direct supervision of a holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card who is 21 years of age or older while the person is on a firing or shooting range or is a participant in a firearms safety and training course recognized by a law enforcement agency or a national, statewide shooting sports organization.
(c) The provisions of this Section regarding the acquisition and possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to law enforcement officials of this or any other jurisdiction, while engaged in the operation of their official duties.
(Source: P.A. 94‑6, eff. 1‑1‑06.)

This one happened a few years back when 7.62X39 was really hard to come by.

Store owner: How much 7.62 Russian do you have at home?
Me: Why, need some?
Store owner: I can't get any, and I need 400 rounds to square away a consignment customer.
Me: No problem! I'll have it here tomorrow.

Should have seen the look on other customers' faces when I walked in with a case of ChiCom ammo and divvied it up between the owner and employees!

I guess that I will beat the holy Scrivener to the punch. Anyways, federal law allows interstate commerce. Yet, it allows latitude to the states. You can not legally buy a longarm in VT, if you are a resident from ME. VT's statute is compliant with federal law and specifies that residents of adjacent states may purchase longarms.

You've contradicted yourself. If VT is indeed, "compliant with federal law," the sale of a long arm to a non-resident qualified to possess it under his home state's law and federal IS legal.

South Carolina is like this.

You can not buy anything in Illinois as you do not have a FOID unless you are a resident. I believe this applies even if you have a C&R. You may possess in Illinois with a valid LICENSE from another state. This is one of the vagarities that IL designed to catch all of those people living in free states without licenses.

bill

So by this reasoning a resident of Mass could not purchase a longarm in Maine?

There is NO "adjacent state" BS in federal gun laws WRT rifle/shotgun purchases from FFLs. Not sure where you got that idea from. There were some state laws which specified this, but none of those states were in the northeast. (I think TX and one or two other states had screwy laws like that, but that was it. )

-Mike

There were some state laws which specified this, but none of those states were in the northeast.

I believe he's referring to a VT state law, Title 13 § 4015 (see below). I remember when I reviewed VT laws that I wondered if this law had any effect at all, as it allows residents of contiguous states to purchase long guns, but doesn't specifically forbid residents of other states from doing so. I didn't follow up any further though, as it didn't matter to me personally since I'm in MA.

"Residents of a state contiguous to the state of Vermont may purchase rifles and shotguns in the state of Vermont, provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, as administered by the United States Secretary of the Treasury, and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the state of Vermont and in the state in which such persons reside."

I believe he's referring to a VT state law, Title 13 § 4015 (see below). I remember when I reviewed VT laws that I wondered if this law had any effect at all, as it allows residents of contiguous states to purchase long guns, but doesn't specifically forbid residents of other states from doing so. I didn't follow up any further though, as it didn't matter to me personally since I'm in MA.

"Residents of a state contiguous to the state of Vermont may purchase rifles and shotguns in the state of Vermont, provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, as administered by the United States Secretary of the Treasury, and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the state of Vermont and in the state in which such persons reside."

I guess I stand corrected, but as you suggest, this statute does not seem to have any real teeth to it- eg, it allows something, but does not explicitly prohibit anything, either, unless there's something established in VT case
law regarding it.

-Mike

I guess I stand corrected, but as you suggest, this statute does not seem to have any real teeth to it- eg, it allows something, but does not explicitly prohibit anything, either, unless there's something established in VT case law regarding it.

There is also a reciprocal VT law that says VT residents can legally buy guns from contiguous states, and as it turns out I uncovered a similarly worded statute in NY law (PEN § 265.40) while researching Dick's unrelated question about NY yesterday (but not one pertaining to contiguous non-residents). I'm not sure what those laws are doing for the same reason I am unsure what the one we're discussing is doing.

I made one trip up to Riley's in Hooksett and was favorably impressed with the place. When I was looking at their reloading equipment a salesman offered to help me. He gave me lots of reloading advice that I thought was very helpful but then I began to question his advice when I made a comment about steel cases not being reloadable and he said:
"All cases are brass because brass is the only metal that expands and then immediately contracts back to its original size. If they used steel it would expand and then jam in the chamber."
I'm not knowledgable enough to argue with an 'expert' but I did walk away shaking my head.

Not to mention the steel-cased pistol ammo we produced in '43 to save copper for more important applications.

Sorry about resurrecting a months-old thread, but this seemed like a good place for my question.

I was at a local gun store yesterday evening and I overheard a conversation between a customer and the employee with regards to Walmart ammunition prices. She said that one of the reasons that Walmart is able to undercut them by so much is because Walmart gets the B-stock. It may look like the same packaging, but the SKU or something to that effect was slightly different, and it denoted something like factory seconds.

Any truth to this? I've bought and shot thousands of rounds of WWB from Wally World and never saw anything to suggest imperfections.

Sorry about resurrecting a months-old thread, but this seemed like a good place for my question.

I was at a local gun store yesterday evening and I overheard a conversation between a customer and the employee with regards to Walmart ammunition prices. She said that one of the reasons that Walmart is able to undercut them by so much is because Walmart gets the B-stock. It may look like the same packaging, but the SKU or something to that effect was slightly different, and it denoted something like factory seconds.

Any truth to this? I've bought and shot thousands of rounds of WWB from Wally World and never saw anything to suggest imperfections.

highly doubtful. The prices are so cheap because its walmart.

BS!

I figured as much. She mentioned volume of sales as an afterthought, probably to try to inject a kernel of truth into her statement. I was certainly not dissuaded from going out and buying more ammo at Walmart last night. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom