Article: SEATTLE CITY COUNCIL IGNORES STATE LAW: PASSES PER-BULLET TAX IN CITY LIMITS

The Seattle Times explained that statute forbids municipalities from passing regulations that impact “registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation… or any other element” of firearm ownership or commerce. Because of this, Burgess himself admitted that the city will likely face lawsuits if his tax is enacted. Yet the City Council unanimously supported the measure by an 8-0 vote?

The definition of insanity. Mr. Burgess and the rest of the council should be declared unfit for office. He, and the council, knowingly wasted the time and treasure of the city on legislation that is unconstitutional in the state.

First we allow state laws to supersede Federal laws, then we allow municipal laws to supersede state laws. So, what comes after this ? Will there be local laws that only effect certain parts of a city ? The 2nd amendment was written for all the people, meaning every American, no matter where they lived. Unfortunately, the states and cities have over time rewritten the 2nd amendment to suit their own purposes. As far as I'm concerned, the most troubling thing about this new law is the fact that they can easily convince the average American that it can and will work.

I expect gun dealers within the city limits will be either moving their businesses or closing up shop as it would appear that most would just go out of town to buy guns and ammo.

First we allow state laws to supersede Federal laws, then we allow municipal laws to supersede state laws. So, what comes after this ? Will there be local laws that only effect certain parts of a city ? The 2nd amendment was written for all the people, meaning every American, no matter where they lived. Unfortunately, the states and cities have over time rewritten the 2nd amendment to suit their own purposes. As far as I'm concerned, the most troubling thing about this new law is the fact that they can easily convince the average American that it can and will work.

Cities are, for the most part, islands of progressive scum......let them destroy themselves. At least we know where they are and can keep them in out sights

So every successful gun store in Seattle will move to just over the town line into neighboring towns.

And how about law enforcement? Will they be exempt from said tax? Did it also not occur to these motards that folks shot out side of the city will be treated in city hospitals?

So they passed a tax that will be crazy easy to avoid and they will lose the tax revenue from the businesses that leave the city. The net effect will be a reduction in tax revenue plus the damages awarded from the impending lawsuits.
These are the same idiots that imposed a $15 per hour minimum wage too? In ten years Seattle will be the Detroit of the Pacific coast. Someone needs to test that coffee for toxins. Gotta be something in there.

So, if the stores simply fail to collect that tax, what happens? It's absolutely clear that the new tax is illegal and counter to a specific state law, even its authors admit that.

Could the city council members be held personally liable under a civil rights lawsuit? The city council president admitted to the press that he expects to be sued over it. There's no way that they are not aware of the state pre-emption law.

I expect gun dealers within the city limits will be either moving their businesses or closing up shop as it would appear that most would just go out of town to buy guns and ammo.

I suspect that was the whole idea, to drive the gun dealers out of the city. I think the tax was just a smoke screen in order to achieve their goals.

The definition of insanity. Mr. Burgess and the rest of the council should be declared unfit for office. He, and the council, knowingly wasted the time and treasure of the city on legislation that is unconstitutional in the state.

Maybe we can make an illegal law free zone.

Mighty convenient that the 2AF is located in the neighborhood [smile]

So, if the stores simply fail to collect that tax, what happens?
The state declares the tax is owed; estimates the amount; seizes funds from the stores accounts and the store can spend a few tens of thousands on legal fees sorting it out.

Or, some gun rights organization sues the city, wins, asserts a 42USC1983 claim, and collects their legal fees.

Last edited:
Cities are, for the most part, islands of progressive scum......let them destroy themselves. At least we know where they are and can keep them in out sights

It's a smugness contest with San Francisco. Seattle wants to be able to say, "See, we are way more progressive than you San Francisco, we have $15 min wage AND tax guns and ammo out of our city!"

Last edited by a moderator:
San Francisco beat Seattle to the smugness. SF banned all private handgun possession except persons with CA permits (the ones only people like Feinstien could get) decades ago, but that ordnance was litigated into oblivion based on state pre-emption (this was pre-Heller/McDonald)

Maybe we'll get lucky and this overreach will result in precedent (commerce clause or something) which knocks this shit off at a national level.

Heh. If the city council really wanted to get re-elected, they should've made it 5 cents tax per firearm and $25 per round (the Chris Rock theory).

They'd have enough cash to build a Seattle city-run firearms/ammo manufacturing company in no time, and then they could increase their profits more by only exporting to Massachusetts.

Should get interesting. Hopefully they have the equivalent of GOAL to sue the shit out of them.

They are located right around the corner of the Second Amendment Foundation.

I have confidence Alan Gottlieb will deal with this effectively.

Scumbags. I'm always fascinated by how "progressives" are blatantly anti-commerce. They don't want anything to actually make any money or succeed, it's all about feeling good. That kind of thinking is going to be the downfall of the United States. They passed their moronic $15/hour minimum wage, causing companies to leave the city in droves, the idiot who decided every single employee including himself needed to be making 70K a year is finding that it's impossible to sustain that and now they're going to run every single gun shop in the city into bankruptcy (which is probably the end goal).

My ex graduated from BU with a master's degree. She went out interviewing for a job and they asked her what salary she would like. "Oh, salary doesn't matter....I have to be happy about what I do." There's a reason we split up.

Mighty convenient that the 2AF is located in the neighborhood [smile]

The state declares the tax is owed;

But it's not a state law, it's a city law in direct violation of the state law.

Or does "state" mean "a governmental organization"?

Scumbags. I'm always fascinated by how "progressives" are blatantly anti-commerce. They don't want anything to actually make any money or succeed, it's all about feeling good. That kind of thinking is going to be the downfall of the United States. They passed their moronic $15/hour minimum wage, causing companies to leave the city in droves, the idiot who decided every single employee including himself needed to be making 70K a year is finding that it's impossible to sustain that and now they're going to run every single gun shop in the city into bankruptcy (which is probably the end goal).

My ex graduated from BU with a master's degree. She went out interviewing for a job and they asked her what salary she would like. "Oh, salary doesn't matter....I have to be happy about what I do." There's a reason we split up.

Part of my personal happiness consists of having spending money after I pay my bills...

Back
Top Bottom