Army looking for new submachine gun

How about an M2 in .30cal again?...or, .45ACP?

iu

... just more Army silliness, and they'll look at a bunch of offers from manufacturers, maybe do a lot of testing even, and then drop the project. I'm not sure the motivation but it probably involves money.

It is probably just a fun exercise for someone while they put in some time. Maybe a relative of someone makes a few bucks on the side. Nothing to see here, move along.

How about an M2 in .30cal again?...or, .45ACP?
The M2 Carbine was the first thing I thought of when reading this too.
How about a Mini-30, or just be done with it and use an AK. OK, kidding, what about 6.8? What ever happened to THAT? You know, maybe what they need is a commander in chief to make an executive decision.

I was there during the "blackwater" security days. Those a**h***s thought they were all that and a bag of chips with the blacked out suburbans and their mp5s. Case in point.....only the giggidy tacticool wannabes are the ones thinking a sub 9mm is something the army needs.

If it gets hk to mass produce the mp5sk again I'm on board with testing

The only thing I can think is maybe they feel a need for close-in combat with unarmed jihadis, a la Mogadishu, where an MP5 would have been fairly effective. Something for downed helicopter crews or vehicle crews.

But way more likely is it's just more Army silliness, and they'll look at a bunch of offers from manufacturers, maybe do a lot of testing even, and then drop the project. I'm not sure the motivation but it probably involves money.

lol M4 done. why reinvent wheel? maybe 12.5 suppressed sbr, or better yet 300 blk. PCCs are beyond the pale at this point.

Well the Army is rethinking their whole weapons concept. Now they are going to issue pistols to Fire Team Leaders in infantry squads. This change may be reflected based on CQB in Iraq. I can't think of any other reason. Everything comes full circle, so now we are back to sub-guns. The truth of the matter is the M3 would work just fine, and some were even re-chambered and re-barreled for 9mm during Desert Storm. It is a proven weapon and relatively economical to manufacture.

Personally, I thought the M4 Carbine would fill the bill nicely.

Of course now the Army wants a Main Battle Rifle in a caliber larger than 5.56 to confront conventional armies of "near peer threats." But then nothing the Army does really surprises me.

Then again the Army is seriously considering going back to the officer's "Pinks and Greens"of WW2 as the service uniform for for all ranks. (I don't have a problem with that, the Blue Service Uniform is a good looking one to, but a little too fancy for an everyday service uniform IMO, the Army is the only branch that currently lacks an intermediate level service uniform between a field uniform and a dress uniform. Again, the current Class B is still a bit too dressy.)

Who knows, Maybe the Army will go back to square divisions of the late 1930's and early 40's, and turn brigade combat teams into regiments.

Anyway, the sub gun initiative like the new pistol acquisition, just another waste of taxpayers money IMO (If the Army is going to waste money, they should give me a raise in my pension :) )

MP5, while a nice gun in its day, is very heavy and weak for any type of battlefield when most of our enemies are sporting some type of 7.62 and above.

I carried an MP5SD for years and after a few hours hanging slung across armor and digging into your traps and neck it felt like I was carrying a GD 60. Would I love to still own one? F yes. Would I want one on the battlefield? F no.

Big army needs to stop all it’s nerds from brainstorming on this crap that they themselves never even see or use, changing hats, uniforms etc every 3 yrs and use that money to actually pay their soldiers a fair wage and improve housing and benefits for their families.

Such a hard concept to acknowledge I know. Non war fighters making war fighting decisions. Idiots.

"These SCWs are “capable of engaging threat personnel with a high volume of lethal and accurate fires at close range with minimal collateral damage,” according to a June 15 special contract award notice."

US Army Seeks New Sub-Compact Weapons To Avoid "Increased Warfighter Casualties"

So a less lethal rifle? So dumb.
In terms of terminal balistics at close range and dealing with overpenetration .223 out of a shorter barrel still seems (11/10.5 HK416) like it would fit the bill.

I hope at least they choose a tried and true, purpose built sub-gun instead of a blowback AR design. The original colt SMG in service was a steaming hot pile of trash that would self-destruct itself after a couple thousand rounds. the trigger mechanism and the lower wasn't designed for the high speed bolt slap and the pins trigger would fail, bolt catches snap, and lower pin hole would get battered deformed by the abusive system.

Last edited:
MP5, while a nice gun in its day, is very heavy and weak for any type of battlefield when most of our enemies are sporting some type of 7.62 and above.

I carried an MP5SD for years and after a few hours hanging slung across armor and digging into your traps and neck it felt like I was carrying a GD 60. Would I love to still own one? F yes. Would I want one on the battlefield? F no.

Big army needs to stop all it’s nerds from brainstorming on this crap that they themselves never even see or use, changing hats, uniforms etc every 3 yrs and use that money to actually pay their soldiers a fair wage and improve housing and benefits for their families.

Such a hard concept to acknowledge I know. Non war fighters making war fighting decisions. Idiots.

Ironically I think our military would be more effective, efficient, and require less manpower if DOD management wasn't so dysfunctional on so many fronts, like all of the stuff you are talking about. Every good guy I know that's ever been in that leaves always says the same thing. "got out, red tape / dysfunction was going to cause me to have an aneurysm". The way they do things always seems like it came out of the byzantine empire. This is true regardless of branch, too. If I was going to hazard a guess most of the people who could actually change things grow frustrated long before they get promoted to some position of real power.

ETA: tinfoil = on - then again I think some of this dysfunction is by design. The last thing the real REMF types (politicians, invisible hand types, etc) want, is someone like a Gen. Patton hanging around or ever existing ever again, because those types of people have enough audacity to threaten their power structure.

-Mike

If someone were smart, they would ground up design a subgun that can use one of the half million of P320 fcgs and mags the Army just ordered. Then make them available to the civilian market.
That someone should be someone who works at Sig and figures out a way to make the MPX take those mags. Would make sense for the Army and the civvies.

But that makes too much sense for Sig, they're probably still snuffing coke off strippers' tits with the MHS contract from last year.

That someone should be someone who works at Sig and figures out a way to make the MPX take those mags. Would make sense for the Army and the civvies.

But that makes too much sense for Sig, they're probably still snuffing coke off strippers' tits with the MHS contract from last year.
To be consistent with Sig's track record: They will do this in the fall as a generational change, that is not backwards compatible with the older two generations of magazines and then stop supporting older generations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom