Armed Boston apartment dweller confronts burglar

THR is blocked for me at work. Could someone summarize the story or cut/paste salient portions of it? I'm riveted by this thread so far and I have no idea of the specifics. Sorry to be a PITA.

*Guy breaks into my apt while I'm here
*I pull a gun on him
*He flees out my door cause even though I kinda wanted to, I didn't shoot him 'cause I was pretty sure I'd end up taking it in the ass (no homo)
*Cops say gun saved my life
*Cops say because no FID card- I'd be in pretty big **** had I shot the guy
*Cops take my gunS
* I get guns back on Friday (hopefully)
*Neighbors got ALL their stuff back- and personally thank me.
*Even though handled well (aside from not registering with Boston) and I wasn't even shakey/nervous like I thought I would be from something like this

In his own words.

I guess this is true...I actually wonder if he falls into the "couldnt pull the trigger" category. After all, if the first thing that came to his mind was the law, it'd probably have crossed his mind at some point before illegaly brought non-compliant and unlicensed weapons into Boston.

The handgun compliance status of the gun is irrelevant to ownership in MA- Those are dealer sales regs. On the other hand, If his mags were over 10 rounds, he might have committed a felony there, but that has nothing to do with "handgun compliance" in MA. That's a whole separate dish of law.

Also, registration of firearms on a move in is not compulsory in MA- although you must get your LTC within (60?) days. (May be longer than this, I
forget offhand. ) He may or may not have violated that, that is unclear. (Is also unclear to me if you're even allowed in home access to your
guns during the grace period- I would guess the answer is "no" and they're supposed to stay locked up until you get your LTC. )

This guy did get REALLY lucky, though, esp. given the locale. I guess BPD had better things to worry about than hanging the victim out to dry.

I realize ignorance of the law is no excuse, but frankly MA gun laws are not even approaching the norm in this country, and are rather an exception than the rule nationally. "Mere Possession" of a handgun in one's home is "legal by default" in all but like a half dozen states, at the most. Without knowing another gun owner that lives here, someone that moves here would have no clue, and likely never expect it to be any different
than the other places they've been.

To put things in perspective MA gun laws sound something approaching the insanity of "License required to ride bicycle in MA- felony if caught riding
without license". The gun laws in MA are so unreasonable that people don't believe you at first when you tell them about how bad they
actually are.

-Mike

Last edited:
Very sad and scary all around.
But, I really feel for the kid. Assuming he is a student from a same part of the US, why would he initially (read before coming here) go through the hoops to investigate the minutae of Mass laws. Look at the group of us here, we live here and there is often squabbling about the laws in Mass. How is an outsider that has not been here forever to get them?

I would presume that in his mind he went through the necessary hoops to aquire the firearm legally in his home state. he does not intend to take up permanent residence, and never intended to "carry" the gun.

If I were from a free state, coming to mass for a short time and not intending to take up residence, and not intending to ccw. Why would I assume that I would need a license to carry to keep my legally owned and aquired firearm in my residence?

I think it is akin logically to making the leap that he would also need to take a driver's Ed, road test, get a Mass driver's license and have his car re-registered and inspected and plated for Mass..

All of that said, he was in the wrong legally, for posessing the firearms in mass.. He got very lucky that the crook knew enough just to walk past him (the crook was obviously, a life long mass resident) without fear of repercussions...

The OP in that thread needs to get his head out of his ass. He himself is in clear violation of Mass gun laws.

Yes and no.

If he was within the grace period for moving into the state (180 days), he wouldn't need a license to posess them in his home. If this was the case, Boston shouldn't have taken his guns either, but this is Boston we're talking about.

Last edited:
Actually, any state that also has law like "Stand your Ground" or "Castle Doctrine". He came into my apartment like that he would have 3 .45 FMJ's center mass (got a 1911 and doesn't feed the hydroshok's etc well).

Not to go too far OT, but try out Remington Golden Saber 230 gr JHPs. I've found that these cartridges will usually even feed reliably in the fussiest
guns. (The bullet profile seems to lead to better feeding characteristics).

-Mike

I call BullShit!

there is NO WAY that Boston Police don't arrest this kid, or at the very least bring him into the station.

Yea, they took his guns (he thinks he'll get them Friday- Yea, the Friday after NEVER)

As much as I'd like to believe that the cops would cut him a break (for laws that are stupid), I don't believe it for a second.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry

now if it IS true. . .

Now lets say he didn't want to shoot the guy. Someone is coming in my window and "maybe" shooting isn't the 1st answer, something heavy across his head is for sure.

That might be true for some people, but based on this guy's story, the first thing that crossed his mind when he confronted the guy was that he already knew he hadn't dont the right thing legally when he brought the guns in.

Sure, I certainly wasn't trying to give the guy a pass, or pass judgment on him. I was simply responding to the 'culture shock' comment.

I don't presume to know what this guy was thinking, but I think the most likely solution is that he brought the guns in without knowing the extent of the law. Once he got here, he looked into it and found how how complicated it is to become legal. Due to lack of time, money, or just plain laziness, he never quite got around to getting the licensing process started. I have several friends that have started into it, found how how ridiculous it was, and stopped. He had probably all but written off the liklihood that he would ever have to even use his guns in self defense... and then this happened.

As much as I'd like to believe that the cops would cut him a break (for laws that are stupid), I don't believe it for a second.

I've seen stranger things in MA. I know of at least one person who didn't get hit on an obvious, blatant safe storage violation. It's obviously not a good idea to ever rely on that kind of thing, though. Anyone could get the LEO that doesn't care or the LEO + DA that wants to nail you on every
possible violation imaginable.... and there's no telling ahead of time who is going to respond.

-Mike

Sure, I certainly wasn't trying to give the guy a pass, or pass judgment on him. I was simply responding to the 'culture shock' comment.

I don't presume to know what this guy was thinking, but I think the most likely solution is that he brought the guns in without knowing the extent of the law. Once he got here, he looked into it and found how how complicated it is to become legal. Due to lack of time, money, or just plain laziness, he never quite got around to getting the licensing process started. I have several friends that have started into it, found how how ridiculous it was, and stopped. He had probably all but written off the liklihood that he would ever have to even use his guns in self defense... and then this happened.

Yup.

I have met several people who simply refuse to believe that one needs a license to posess a gun in their home, and have moved here from Free America. Even in California one doesn't need a license to posess a gun in the home.

Michael Flaherty introduced a home rule petition that has been approved by all his fellow councilors and Menino to make possession of guns in one's home without a license a criminal offense. You may have read about this in the Outdoor Message or in one of the topics posted here in NES. This home rule petition is in response to the Liquarry Jeffereson fiasco. An "illegal gun" was brought into the home by the 16 year old and with the knowledge of the boy's mother. BPD claim they couldn't file "illegal possession charges" because the gun was in the home, thus protected from prosecution.
If the police decide to return the guns to the owner,
how is this fellow going to transport his guns from the police station to his home without having a valid FID or LTC? Check your rear view mirror for the blue light special if they even let you get that far. [wink]
Best regards.

I think there is some culture shock, people from other states just can't imagine how warped the laws are here. It's like if you went to Canada and went to a store to buy a television, and the cops stopped you and asked you for your license to watch video or something.

You mean like in Britain where a tax is levied on TVs per unit, per year... [grin]

I call BullShit!

there is NO WAY that Boston Police don't arrest this kid, or at the very least bring him into the station.

Yea, they took his guns (he thinks he'll get them Friday- Yea, the Friday after NEVER)

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry

now if it IS true. . .

Now lets say he didn't want to shoot the guy. Someone is coming in my window and "maybe" shooting isn't the 1st answer, something heavy across his head is for sure.
I second that motion. A handgun in Mumbles' Boston and no permit plus illegal high cap magazine and the cops didn't slap the cuffs on him sorry this sounds like a nice piece of fiction

don't know the guy from a hole in the wall but he may have a bit of Baron Munchhausen in him. Some get a thrill from "broadcasting" there heroics to strangers. again Mumbles' and Chief Davis are serious anti gunners,as we all know,can't tell me that the cops don't have standing orders to arrest ANYONE with a firearm and no permit.

don't know the guy from a hole in the wall but he may have a bit of Baron Munchhausen in him. Some get a thrill from "broadcasting" there heroics to strangers. again Mumbles' and Chief Davis are serious anti gunners,as we all know,can't tell me that the cops don't have standing orders to arrest ANYONE with a firearm and no permit.

can you tell us they do?

just because the Mumbles and the Chief are anti, it doesn't mean ALL the Boston PD is.

maybe, just maybe those cops wanted to go catch bad guys.... it's possible. [grin]

Some get a thrill from "broadcasting" there heroics to strangers.
Heroics? It was heroic letting a burglar walk past him and out the door?

Come on! Give me a f@#!@#! break. It was understandably a stressful situation for him. So he wants to vent to people who might understand the situation.

Instead, people here s#@$ on him and call him a liar.

Please explain to me, why would he lie about this?

I don't know, I'm not him. . .

Now let me say that I don't agree with the "laws" he broke, but here are the ones I can think of

Possession of a firearm without license
possession of ammo without license
possession of hi cap mags
unlawful storage (or whatever it's called)
Un"registered" firearms (I'm sure he didn't fill out FA-10s)

so that's 5 I can think of (and IANAL or a cop), I just don't believe that Boston Cops would let all 5 of them "pass"

I don't know the answer to this either,

when the cops bring his 2 guns back to the station, does nobody ask where they came from. I would ASSume that there is a report that needs to be filled out when 2 guns walk into the station. Wouldn't somebody (Sargent? chief?) wonder why no arrest with the confiscation?

edited to add:

Michael Flaherty introduced a home rule petition that has been approved by all his fellow councilors and Menino to make possession of guns in one's home without a license a criminal offense. You may have read about this in the Outdoor Message or in one of the topics posted here in NES. This home rule petition is in response to the Liquarry Jeffereson fiasco. An "illegal gun" was brought into the home by the 16 year old and with the knowledge of the boy's mother. BPD claim they couldn't file "illegal possession charges" because the gun was in the home, thus protected from prosecution.

I suppose I could have read this first before my post

Last edited:
I don't know, I'm not him. . .

Now let me say that I don't agree with the "laws" he broke, but here are the ones I can think of

Possession of a firearm without license
possession of ammo without license
possession of hi cap mags
unlawful storage (or whatever it's called)
Un"registered" firearms (I'm sure he didn't fill out FA-10s)

so that's 5 I can think of (and IANAL or a cop), I just don't believe that Boston Cops would let all 5 of them "pass"

I don't know the answer to this either,

when the cops bring his 2 guns back to the station, does nobody ask where they came from. I would ASSume that there is a report that needs to be filled out when 2 guns walk into the station. Wouldn't somebody (Sargent? chief?) wonder why no arrest with the confiscation?

he doesnt necessarily need to fill out FA-10s so long as he brought them with him when he moved here, and not after (IIRC)

Go to his orig post, click on the weightlifter link he has....a ton more on the story including he picks up his FID tomorrow and

"The cops said they're pretty sure he won't come back and he'll chalk it up to a loss. But "pretty sure" doesn't work for me. The guy left a bag of goodies and maybe he thought we'd never find them and he'll come back at a later date to get them.
And on top of that, like everyone else said- who's saying he can't come back with weapons or buddies?

The cops also raid an interesting point- that if he had stolen my guns (had I not been here) and then used them...I could have been in a HUGE world of shit. I hadn't even really considered that.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112905991&page=2

Go to his orig post, click on the weightlifter link he has....a ton more on the story including he picks up his FID tomorrow and

"The cops said they're pretty sure he won't come back and he'll chalk it up to a loss. But "pretty sure" doesn't work for me. The guy left a bag of goodies and maybe he thought we'd never find them and he'll come back at a later date to get them.
And on top of that, like everyone else said- who's saying he can't come back with weapons or buddies?

The cops also raid an interesting point- that if he had stolen my guns (had I not been here) and then used them...I could have been in a HUGE world of shit. I hadn't even really considered that.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112905991&page=2

[rofl] uh oh, that place looks familiar.... the original link is dead, but.....
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47951

anyone have an account for that bodybuilding forum? reading those posts, they really do live up to "more brawn than brains"...dumbasses.

To those blasting me for my earlier comments,I am not as observant as some here(see last few posts) and I do go to other forums and see post similar to the one being discussed,reading the story set off a bell in my head saying "wait a sec something here don't sound right". The "$20 FID Card" is one point
that made me suspicious of the post.

To those blasting me for my earlier comments,I am not as observant as some here(see last few posts) and I do go to other forums and see post similar to the one being discussed,reading the story set off a bell in my head saying "wait a sec something here don't sound right". The "$20 FID Card" is one point
that made me suspicious of the post.

i didn't quote you to be a dick.

i will give a poster or anyone else the benefit of the doubt. some are better writers while others may be better speakers....

now, after after i saw the link to the body building forum.... i call 100% COMPLETE BULLSHIT as well. my concern is with the "us vs. them" mentality on certain issues that seem to keep popping up.

[smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom