Armed Boston apartment dweller confronts burglar

Hehe had someone done that in my place, I'd have shot him without telling him to stop. He breaches a window or door, he's dead.

As mch as that sucks, I have to ask: why did he not have an ltc? SoMeone should tell him an FID won't hack it if he has an XD pistol. Guy needs to do better research before moving or taking up soMething such as gun ownership. This of course doesn't excuse the robbers attempts.

I think there is some culture shock, people from other states just can't imagine how warped the laws are here. It's like if you went to Canada and went to a store to buy a television, and the cops stopped you and asked you for your license to watch video or something.

As mch as that sucks, I have to ask: why did he not have an ltc? SoMeone should tell him an FID won't hack it if he has an XD pistol. Guy needs to do better research before moving or taking up soMething such as gun ownership. This of course doesn't excuse the robbers attempts.

x2, college kid brings firearms with him to school in Boston and doesn't research the law? I'm surprised he's not getting in more trouble than it sounds he is.

I think he's a college student. When I moved to MA I had no idea the gun laws were as bad as they are. I had no idea I needed a LTC to have a pistol. Bottom line is yes research should have been done, however nobody should need a piece of paper to defend themselves period.

x2, college kid brings firearms with him to school in Boston and doesn't research the law? I'm surprised he's not getting in more trouble than it sounds he is.

I think there is some culture shock, people from other states just can't imagine how warped the laws are here. It's like if you went to Canada and went to a store to buy a television, and the cops stopped you and asked you for your license to watch video or something.

+1 That's the thing Starvin, needing a license to own a pistol is absolutely nuts. I would have never expect that to be a law when I moved there.

+1 That's the thing Starvin, needing a license to own a pistol is absolutely nuts. I would have never expect that to be a law when I moved there.

agree 100% that the law is insane, I just think that the thought of looking into the gun laws of the state that you're going to school in (especially in this liberal weenie-state) should have at least crossed his mind.

I'm only saying this out of fear for the kid's now potential "criminal reccord". Seems as though he is somewhat in the clear though, surprisingly.

agree 100% that the law is insane, I just think that the thought of looking into the gun laws of the state that you're going to school in (especially in this liberal weenie-state) should have at least crossed his mind.

I'm only saying this out of fear for the kid's now potential "criminal reccord". Seems as though he is somewhat in the clear though, surprisingly.

I agree. I am glad the cops seemed to understand his situation.

now hopefully the media doesn't get ahold of this and there is a "public outcry" to prosecute the kid.

The OP in that thread needs to get his head out of his ass. He himself is in clear violation of Mass gun laws.

Obviously the OP has some issues himself but my big question is: How the hell did the bad guy get from the window of that bedroom to this guy's front door with a crowbar in his hand and not get shot? Did the OP just step aside and let him out, assuming he guy was going to actually leave and not crush his skull with a crowbar?

The OP would have been in a world of hurt had he shot the guy, but its also pretty clear that he wasn't in fear of his life. No one honestly in fear of being killed would have sat there and considered the legal ramifications of what was about to occur.

I think he should have used the shotgun and not even mentioned the pistol.

now hopefully the media doesn't get ahold of this and there is a "public outcry" to prosecute the kid.

Im surprised he even posted the story online. He could still have some legal problems coming his way. It is up to the DA to decide whether he should be charged or not. All the cops do is take notes.

The OP would have been in a world of hurt had he shot the guy, but its also pretty clear that he wasn't in fear of his life. No one honestly in fear of being killed would have sat there and considered the legal ramifications of what was about to occur.
I don't think you can really know that. Many people have been in terrible fear, yet couldn't pull the trigger. Just what went through his mind is only something he knows. Maybe he was in fear for his life. Maybe he wasn't.

I don't think we can predict what would or would not go through our minds in a deadly force situation. Hopefully, we'll never have to find out.

I think he should have used the shotgun and not even mentioned the pistol.
He would have been in the same situation -- possession of the shotgun without an FID or LTC. He might have been better advised to have put both away and not mentioned either to the police.

Yep, it's sad when the laws protect the criminals and not the law abiding.

So true. Whats even more pathetic is that the criminal knew that the kid wasn't going to shoot him or else he would have been begging for his life. Criminals in Mass know the law protects them so they exploit it. Try that shit in Texas or Oklahoma and see how fast your missing a limb or dead.

I don't think you can really know that. Many people have been in terrible fear, yet couldn't pull the trigger. Just what went through his mind is only something he knows. Maybe he was in fear for his life. Maybe he wasn't.

I don't think we can predict what would or would not go through our minds in a deadly force situation. Hopefully, we'll never have to find out.

He would have been in the same situation -- possession of the shotgun without an FID or LTC. He might have been better advised to have put both away and not mentioned either to the police.

I guess this is true...I actually wonder if he falls into the "couldnt pull the trigger" category. After all, if the first thing that came to his mind was the law, it'd probably have crossed his mind at some point before illegaly brought non-compliant and unlicensed weapons into Boston. He makes like he had to let him go becaue of all the laws in boston, but himself was breaking those laws long before the thug kicked in his window.

After reading a few more of his later posts, he simply doesnt seem like a responsible gun owner at all. He is pretty dissmissive of everyone who says he committed crime as if he knows all the laws when its brutally clear he had no clue about the laws or worse, completely ignored them until now.

I am still shocked the OP isn't in jail over this...and did I read right that the police station actually gave him back his guns? Im starting to question if the story is even legit.

I am still shocked the OP isn't in jail over this...and did I read right that the police station actually gave him back his guns?

I, too, am surprised he wasn't arrested. I thought he did not yet have his guns back, but rereading that it just isn't clear to me.

This is certainly the case. I personally have two friends here in MA that brought guns in illegally without being aware of it. I'll talk about it now because both friends have now made themselves legal, one by bringing the gun back home and the other by moving back out of state.

The first one was my best friend. When I found out he had a pistol and a Virginia license, but no MA license, I let him know how much trouble he'd be in if he ever had to use it, or the cops found it. I ended up persuading him to drive it back down to VA and store it with his parents.

The second guy was a guy we hired at work. He had been with us for at least 6 months when I found out he was into guns. I started talking to him about all my guns, and he started talking to me about all his guns... and I got a bit concerned and asked him if he had a license and he said 'a what?' I told him about all the laws and told him all of his pistols were here illegally and he didn't believe a word I said no matter how much I tried to convince him that he was looking at some serious possible jail time or fines. Some months later he pulled me aside and asked if he could sell me all of his guns for $1 and if they would then be legal. I had to explain to him that the only thing he could do would be to somehow get them back to his home state and store them with a friend or family, or dig a very damn deep hole and throw them all in and hope no one finds them, hehe (joke).

If you're born and raised in a free state and don't pay much attention to firearms laws, it may just not occur to you that it's not like that everywhere.

If you're born and raised in a free state and don't pay much attention to firearms laws, it may just not occur to you that it's not like that everywhere.

That might be true for some people, but based on this guy's story, the first thing that crossed his mind when he confronted the guy was that he already knew he hadn't dont the right thing legally when he brought the guns in. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but its better than ignoring the law, which is what this guy appears to have done unless his whole story is BS. His dismissive attitude to people telling him the law is a mirror reflection of the attitude that caused him to never look into or follow the laws in the first place.

Sad as it is, one could argue that he was committing far greater a felony being in posession of non-compliant weapons and high capacity mags than the jerk trying to steal his TV.

Last edited:
So true. Whats even more pathetic is that the criminal knew that the kid wasn't going to shoot him or else he would have been begging for his life. Criminals in Mass know the law protects them so they exploit it. Try that shit in Texas or Oklahoma and see how fast your missing a limb or dead.

Actually, any state that also has law like "Stand your Ground" or "Castle Doctrine". He came into my apartment like that he would have 3 .45 FMJ's center mass (got a 1911 and doesn't feed the hydroshok's etc well).

Glad at least the cops were human and didn't arrest the guy on the spot for all sorts of violations of Mass. firearms law.

Back
Top Bottom