ar scopes

jeepsrt8

NES Member
[SUP]I am in the market for an optic for my ar. Originally I was looking at the eotech either 512 or xps2, but feel like I want something with a little more distance. I am wondering to see what you guys and gals have put on your ar for a scope with a nice magnification. I am not looking to drop 1200 on a trigicon, but don’t want a pos. Thank you for all advice.
[/SUP]

A couple weeks ago I got a Burris MTAC and really like it. Kind of a reddot meets scope thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Not all ACOGs are $1200. If you're looking for an optic with an effective range of up to 300m-400m then check out the TA33 series. You can find them new for $850 if you look around the web hard enough. Relatively lightweight, 30mm objective, 3x fixed magnification, tritium and fiber optics. The TA33 is designed to be used with both eyes open. Lastly, I've noticed that ACOGs maintain their resale value well... at least based on what I've seen for used ones. If you ever decide to get rid of your ACOG, then at least you won't have much of a sunk cost.

photo11.jpg

EDIT:

By the way, you could always get a magnifier for the 512 or XPS2. Primary Arms sells one for around $100.

Last edited:
This is actually the exact question I've been throwing around with myself. I'm building up my first AR and I currently only have some Samson Flip-up sights. Eventually, I'm adding some form of magnified optics. I'm going somewhere in the 1-4x to 3-9x range. I just can't decide on what I want. I have my list narrowed down to 12 different models.

1) Illuminated vs non-Illuminated?
2) 1-4x, 2-8x, 3-9x?
3) Price range from $380 -$1200?

I shot a AR with the Leupold VR-X 3-9 today and was overall impressed. I think had it been my carbine I would opt for the x1.5-4 vs the 3-9 power but it seemed Like a nice product.

Are you looking for a red dot/holo optic or an actually variable scope? From what it sounds like, you should maybe consider a trijicon accupoint.

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

Last edited:
I have the 1-4x Leupold with illuminated dot. Works great, I normally leave it at 2x, but if I need to shoot over 100 yeards, I do up it.

The advantage of a 1x at the low end is that you can shoot both eyes open just about as quickly as with iron sights (or a red dot), but a better hit rate. This is idea for close quarters.

Then by cranking the scope up to 4x, you can hit targets pretty consistently at 100 or 200 yards.

The M4 variant is unusual in its effectiveness both as a CQ weapon and a medium range rifle. The 1-4x compliments that capacity nicely.

OP, I'm wondering if you purchased a scope yet? I've been haphazardly looking myself for one of my AR's. When you get something maybe you could follow up.

Vortex 6-24x50. $400 and change. Some blems were for sale near $100 a coupple of years ago, I forgot where.

As far as magnified optics go, for the money, a scope like the Nikon or Super Sniper is tough to beat. If you're looking to spend a little more and get a few more features and clearer glass, start looking into Leupold and similar brands, a little more ($1000 and up) Nightforce, S&B, US Optics.

I have a Mueller APV on a 10/22... 115 bucks for the scope, 4.5-14x. Also pretty tough to argue with in terms of cost vs quality. Should be fine on top of an AR I'd imagine.

As for CQB, I prefer aimpoints for the dependability. I love the EOTech reticule, but I've had 4 SEPARATE units go dead due to batteries on me during range sessions/training classes. Maybe I'm just unlucky. But the micro series aimpoints are tough to beat IMO, and have never done me wrong. Cheaper versions would be something like the Primary Arms. Great little red dots, just lack the parallax-free feature, which you may be able to do without.

I have very little experience with the ACOG type optics. The ones I have used, though, are really quite nice. Seem to be well worth the money if that fits your application.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes/sidewinder-tactical.html.........My eyes are going slowly. I have mounted scopes on most of my Air rifles and 22s.
I recently got a chance to try the above scope. I must say for the money Hawke are very good for me so far. I have the Airmax on my air rifle with the map 6 reticle 4x12x40. With the software Hawke has for there scopes so you know what the hold over aim points are ect ect. They have a cool feature that you can print out cheat sheets that fit in the scope covers. This software has saved me money and time. I like this scope if battery goes down your left with a standard black reticle.

Anyone have any experience with this one?

41fgOKArT-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[h=1]AR-332 Tactical Sight 3X-32mm[/h]
I currently have an EOTech and I'm not a huge fan. Looking for something with some magnification...

Interesting.

I know Walmart has a .223 specific scope now. I'm not sure if it is this one, or a Tasco or something else.

My ideal would be a 3x fixed power, so as to be a little more compact than 4x fixed power. I don't think they make such a thing, and I'd rather not have a zoom. Heck, even a simple 2x would be good enough for me. I think 200 yards would be my max distance for the most part, and most time will be spent at 100. I just need something for my tired eyes to see the target. This would be to go on top of a carry handle. Also looking at mounting options, so as to leave iron sights usable.

EDIT: I just found this:

Looking for Retro Carry Handle 4x Scope

Last edited:
I just picked up a Primary Arms Compact 3x and I like it a lot. Got it sighted in last weekend at the range and it really is a great deal for the money. I think it was about $180 if I recall correctly. Illuminuted reticle if you want it. Nice clear glass with lots of viewing area.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_3X_Compact_Scope_PAC3X_p/pac3x.htm

I had a Nikon M-223 2-8x on there but took it off a while back to get better with my irons. I ended up mounting the M-223 on my 10/22 and getting the Compact 3x for my AR. Love it.

I picked up 2 of the Nikons, beautiful picture, crystal clear and easy to pick up the target. These old eyes can't make out the sights and the target at the same time...

I run a acog ta44 on my ar and absolutely love it. The scope is crystal clear and dead on from 25 feet right out to 300 yards.

Back
Top Bottom