• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Self-Contained Recoil Springs

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Has anyone tried any of these, such as the one below? If so, what did you think of it?

I have one. Works well with my x39 and 223 SBR uppers

I installed these (see links below) in my home-built Poverty Pony lower AR, and another home-built Aero Precision lower AR for my wife (both AR's were specifically built for live-fire AR shooting classes).

There is a definite difference in the smoothness of the operation, and it is very noticeable because its much more easy (and smooth) when pulling the charging handle back.
Others in the class and the instructor tried both AR's and they observed and stated the same.

Bear in mind, I tried a lower cost, different manufacturer's version of the capture spring.
It was a little smoother, but it was no where as nice (in terms of the differences that I listed above) as compared with the JP version capture springs.
BTW, those cheaper brand ones .... are still sitting in a box.

Last edited:
It may seem weird but the buffer spring noise has always driven me nuts.
Like nails on a chalkboard.

But im still too cheap to swap out all my buffer springs.
I was actually really really bothered by that noise last week at the range. Seems more noticeable when your doing move/shoot drills than it is sitting at a bench.

I picked up some Geissele braided springs when they were on sale last month. Maybe they will help.

Yep, me too. [laugh] The 'sproing' of the buffer tube bugs me like the smaller 'sproing' of a striker-fired pistol trigger.

Lightly oiling or greasing the buffer tube spring lessens the annoyance to the point I can ignore it.

I was actually really really bothered by that noise last week at the range. Seems more noticeable when your doing move/shoot drills than it is sitting at a bench.

I picked up some Geissele braided springs when they were on sale last month. Maybe they will help.
I'm "on the spectrum" so some audio stimulus is enhanced - crunching a bottled water bottle is worse but the crunchy springs noise kills my concentration.

I could always hear the buffer noise, but I didn't notice it because I learned on an M16 and never really knew much else until I got out of the Army.

I immediately noticed how much smoother and less annoying every other rifle was.

Interesting- had not heard of those until now. I'd guess that the braids will dampen any ringing and/or vibration. Please post your opinion once you try them.

if spring was properly lubed with lithium grease - it makes almost no noise.
I use Mobil 1 for greasing up my M1's and M14's, including the op rod springs. I've tried it on my 6.5 CM AR buffer spring and it does greatly reduce the noise. No issues with it thus far.

I use Mobil 1 for greasing up my M1's and M14's, including the op rod springs. I've tried it on my 6.5 CM AR buffer spring and it does greatly reduce the noise. No issues with it thus far.
white lithium goo stays there longer. mobil 1 is also fine.
no lube at all is not fine and indeed will make some funny noises. but, to buy that $90 BS when you can get a stock, tube, spring and buffer for $30 - no, my cheapness revolts against that. :)

no lube at all is not fine and indeed will make some funny noises. but, to buy that $90 BS when you can get a stock, tube, spring and buffer for $30 - no, my cheapness revolts against that. :)
Not to mention making something simple more complicated, and thus more prone to failure. I also refuse to buy anything billet for AR's.

Have to try some lithium on mine instead of light oil.

Have to try some lithium on mine instead of light oil.
i think even larry recommends it in his videos.
at 15:45, yes.

he dumps shitload of it in his video, i usually put it in 3 lines on the sides of the spring itself - buffer will get plenty of it as it flies in there.
at first you will have to wipe off some excesses from buffer face and bolt end, but, it is not hurting anything.

FWIW, I've got a number of AR's (both home-built & factory-ready).
But, I only installed the JP capture springs in our (2) Range & Class AR's

We need an official NES "Poors" thread section ....

;) [laugh]

Last edited:
Silent capture spring systems like JP work really well on suppressed range toys where you really hear the clang of the recoil spring. BUT they’re heavier and I don’t find that they work any better to quiet the action or smoothen the action than the much lighter flat wire springs like Tubbs makes for around 30 bucks.

Just be careful with the grease, It tends to gum up in freezing temps and can cause failures if you use too much or it gets too cold.

Didn't try these on my AR-15 or AR-10 but I'm going to try the JP one and BCG for my AR-9. It seems like they may help with bolt bounce and the adjustable weights can be nice.

Back
Top Bottom