• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Self-Contained Recoil Springs

My oldest AR, A 22 year old DPMS Southpaw that is stock from the factory is like velvety smooth when you pull the charging handle back, makes hardly any noise too. It looks like a normal buffer spring and receiver extension, I don't get it. None of my other AR's are that smooth.

Just be careful with the grease, It tends to gum up in freezing temps and can cause failures if you use too much or it gets too cold.
Mobil 1 won't freeze up. So far my cold record range day is minus 7 with a M1 Garand lubed with Mobil 1. RemOil turns to gum ~13°F. I literally saw it making little crumbs in my AR.

Mobil 1 won't freeze up. So far my cold record range day is minus 7 with a M1 Garand lubed with Mobil 1. RemOil turns to gum ~13°F. I literally saw it making little crumbs in my AR.
i have no idea a nd never tried to check.
a usual

Lucas Oil 10533 White Lithium Grease​

it told to be operational from -35 to +175 Celsius. to what level is it true - i did not check, i never shot my gun in under 0F conditions.

i have no idea a nd never tried to check.
a usual

Lucas Oil 10533 White Lithium Grease​

it told to be operational from -35 to +175 Celsius. to what level is it true - i did not check, i never shot my gun in under 0F conditions.
It might be. And its a perfectly fine and cheaper way to silence the twang of the stock buffer spring for most of our use cases. But I think for an apocalypse rifle, its worth spending the extra dough on the flat wire springs and skipping the grease in the tube. Chances are the apocolypse won't bring beach weather.

I noticed the O-ring on my armaspec buffer is getting chewed up. This is used for my 5.56 and 7.62x39 10.5" uppers. Several thousand rounds. Still works of course. Not really sure how critical that rubber ring is 0A75B32C-C4B6-4A0B-B0B9-5A7BBFA70D20.jpeg

I noticed the O-ring on my armaspec buffer is getting chewed up. This is used for my 5.56 and 7.62x39 10.5" uppers. Several thousand rounds. Still works of course. Not really sure how critical that rubber ring isView attachment 730852
Its been a while since you shared a “this broke” post, but this is only a 1 or 2 on the scale and NES has been patiently waiting for a 7+ post…. Come on, you can do better!

Chances are the apocolypse won't bring beach weather.

I'd wager that the apocolypse (sic) is going to bring 3000F weather, but
just for a moment or two!

Back
Top Bottom