AR pistol vs. AR SBR

So read the following post. Now I can edit. Both choices are bad. And I have to pay extra for the SBR. Lose lose situation.

Last edited:
Interesting. The previous post was my 5th attempt to post. Now, I can't edit it. See that would have been a way to post what I wanted to say. But no matter how many times I logged in to get permission to post, couldn't. The fanboys win this one.
AR pistol in the house. SBR outside. Both stupid choices. Both underpowered. Better choices in both locations.

Because I "clear" houses on a regular basis.
Because I want to face Che at 300 yards with an underwhelming "platform"/ammunition choice.

Last edited:
Interesting. The previous post was my 5th attempt to post. Now, I can't edit it. See that would have been a way to post what I wanted to say. But no matter how many times I logged in to get permission to post, couldn't. The fanboys win this one.
AR pistol in the house. SBR outside. Both stupid choices. Both underpowered. Better choices in both locations.

Because I want to face Che at 300 yards with an underwhelming "platform"/ammunition choice.

fanboys usually win using our pure fanboy-ism.

but this time you're just plain wrong.

but please, regale us with stories of how hard you operate to back up your opinion. since you've clearly been there, done that, got the t-shirt and slayed many bodies with precision accuracy and the perfect FPS speed rounds.

This. This thread gave me canceraids.

Chloe-Reaction-GIF.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
All's I can say is that I know this guy who built a 7.5" pistol with a Sig Brace, on an 80% lower, and it is one of the funnest things I have ever shot. We ran several hundred rounds through it one day without a hiccup, and it puts out respectable groups at 50 yards with iron sights. And the whole gun fits inside a sawzall case.

I wouldn't own one as my only AR, but I just don't get calling them useless.

If AR pistols and SBR's are so useless, we would all have 20" barrels on our AR's and giant comps so we can tag prairie dogs at 500 yards.

Give it a break: The 7.62x39 round is perfect for an SBR. It loses only marginal terminal ballistics with the small drop in FPS and is accurate out to 100 yards. Past 100 yards you should be using something in .30 like 7.62x51 or 30-30 but that's an entirely different discussion.

All's I can say is that I know this guy who built a 7.5" pistol with a Sig Brace, on an 80% lower, and it is one of the funnest things I have ever shot. We ran several hundred rounds through it one day without a hiccup, and it puts out respectable groups at 50 yards with iron sights. And the whole gun fits inside a sawzall case.

I wouldn't own one as my only AR, but I just don't get calling them useless.

I want to see one in a violin case .

It is because Jesus does not want you to post this nonsense.

Wow, touched fanboy nerves. Just because you asked so nice, Atilla, some of my bona fides. Shooter 50+ years. Qualified expert M-16. War Games SE Asia 1969-1970. FFL holder for firearms and manufacture of ammunition 8 years. High Power competitor good enough to win money on occasion. Better than mid-pack Handgun Silhouette and Small Bore Pistol. And at 64 can still hit clay pigeons more often than not at 200 yards with iron sights. Got many T-shirts over the years and wore them out.

Take a pissant cartridge, cut half the barrel off, wear TC clothes, cowitness sights, hang goober shiite all over and you've done your job. And I'm sure you only use topnotch ammo to make up for the inherent failings of the cartridge plus the additional hack job. Why not get one of those 5.7x28 rifles to complete the job? Better yet, get a .300 BO because you'll get a great hunting round and it's easy to suppress. You can cut off that barrel too and impress all your friends with your cogent thought process.

Last edited:
Yeah handicap a cartridge by what 700 FPS. Logical thought there. And pay extra. Even better. And these SBR's and Pistols are for what? Please give us a raison d'etre. Fun we might understand. Functionality, good luck. SHTF you're too close. Zombies attacking your neighbor 300 yards away? Fail. Hunting medium game? Fail. Shooting Blue Helmets? Fail. Come up with a better reason than it's fun. Tell us about some fantastic, unknown, practical reason. Better yet, how about some of you who bought the Kool-Aid, realised your error and fess up. Tell us how you threw away the ONLY f'ing thing the .223 had in it's favor, velocity.

For me, I would love to make one extremely lightweight. Not sure how much you could shave off with a 11.5 inch barrel with a 10 inch rail but someone who is small with short arms could easily hold the rail right behind the muzzle (hopefully it's a forward blasting brake) and have excellent control without experiencing fatigue. Just spit balling lol

Yeah handicap a cartridge by what 700 FPS. Logical thought there. And pay extra. Even better. And these SBR's and Pistols are for what? Please give us a raison d'etre. Fun we might understand. Functionality, good luck. SHTF you're too close. Zombies attacking your neighbor 300 yards away? Fail. Hunting medium game? Fail. Shooting Blue Helmets? Fail. Come up with a better reason than it's fun. Tell us about some fantastic, unknown, practical reason. Better yet, how about some of you who bought the Kool-Aid, realised your error and fess up. Tell us how you threw away the ONLY f'ing thing the .223 had in it's favor, velocity.

What the **** are you even talking about? 700fps? Do you even read?

- - - Updated - - -

For me, I would love to make one extremely lightweight. Not sure how much you could shave off with a 11.5 inch barrel with a 10 inch rail but someone who is small with short arms could easily hold the rail right behind the muzzle (hopefully it's a forward blasting brake) and have excellent control without experiencing fatigue. Just spit balling lol

BCM 11.5" ELW with a 10" KMR is my dream light weight shorty.

I'm not sure what the problem is with, it's fun...
That's one of my top three reasons... (fun, edc, target shooting... then comes hunting and shtf)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Do you realize that an SBR is the primary rifle for a huge segment of the U.S. Military?

Lead chip eating champion 2014.

Andythrowingconfetti.gif

I don't get what you're trying to say here. So what if it's useless in those manners? It's fun. Because one would want it. Because bang.

Like a Ferrari or Lamborghini, sure it gets shitty MPG, doesn't carry any cargo, the ride height is so low it's nearly useless around rough roads.. and I have to pay how much more than a regular car for one??
Because vroom vroom.

[hmmm]

It's similar to explaining a $65,000 shotgun: Because I can and I have fun with it. Honestly, 90% of firearms never fulfill their intended utilitarian purpose so what are you even arguing about?

Why do you even give a rat's ass why a 7.5" SBR exists and who buys/makes it? Does your butt hurt so much that you need to stick your nose into jungles and nests that are not your own?

I don't have to pay extra and I'm losing what I would consider a negligible amount of velocity. Apparently you missed the actual data we posted. As for caliber, I'd certainly rather carry more ammo in .223 than less in .30 or larger.

I own a nice M14, I would not want to carry that gun over my ARs. Maybe a variation of an AR10 platform, like an OBR but still not in a barrel longer than 16-18".

If I was a sniper, I'd change my mentality, but I'm not. So engaging people long distance for head shots is not really in my wheelhouse of preference.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not to mention if you free float a 12" barrel with a full length rail you don't really lose any sight radius over a normal 16-18" rifle.

The AR15 .223 SBR is not the end all of rifles. But it is certainly the leader in form and function for the majority of people, who frankly, can't shoot for shit anyway.

Not to mention if you free float a 12" barrel with a full length rail you don't really lose any sight radius over a normal 16-18" rifle.

The AR15 .223 SBR is not the end all of rifles. But it is certainly the leader in form and function for the majority of people, who frankly, can't shoot for shit anyway.

I also think the velocity loss is overemphasized. 10" still produces decent wound ballistics at close ranges. I mean anything less than that is going into retard land, but there is no way in hell you're losing 700 fps on a 10" SBR/pistol vs a 16" gun. If that is happening then something is seriously wrong.

-Mike

M193 out of a 20" barrel was 3250 FPS. According tom the chart edmorsii linked us to 2431 FPS. 819 FPS penalty for the privilege of owning a barrel cut in half. ( 1290 FPE vs. 722 FPE )

M193 out of a 20" barrel was 3250 FPS. According tom the chart edmorsii linked us to 2431 FPS. 819 FPS penalty for the privilege of owning a barrel cut in half. ( 1290 FPE vs. 722 FPE )

First, I didn't post the chart, Ben did.

Second, it shows a 20" barrel shooting something at around 3000 fps and a 10 inch barrel shooting that same something at 2600 fps.

So again, do you even read? Or subtract?

Back
Top Bottom