• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR pistol vs. AR SBR

DarthRevan

NES Member
Why should I pick one over the other?
Not having to register the AR pistol with ATF seems like a great selling point to me.
This would be a free state purchase when I move so please don't lecture about MA law.

The SBR is more practical. I don't see any use for an AR pistol other than to say you have one.

I'd put AR/AK pistols in the same novelty category as Tec-9's, Mac-10's etc, (only more reliable).

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people that actually own one, shot it once or twice, then stuck it in their gun safes

never to be seen again.

unless you buy one of those $200+ arm braces

They're under $200 now. Depending on where you get them from they can be closer to $100.

With the Sig brace you can get the same functionality of a SBR without sending $200 to the .gov and begging for permission (and waiting X months).

They're under $200 now. Depending on where you get them from they can be closer to $100.

With the Sig brace you can get the same functionality of a SBR without sending $200 to the .gov and begging for permission (and waiting X months).

permission doesnt take months. efiled and in 2 weeks have the approved tax stamp.

permission doesnt take months. efiled and in 2 weeks have the approved tax stamp.
And the .gov will know you have a SBR. I've learned to not trust the .gov to not abuse information, so I provide it with as little as possible. Especially when it comes to my firearms, and firearms related items.

How much was the trust? $300+?

If in a free state, the Sig Brace is only $150... $500+ vs $150.... I'll take the $150.
Exactly. Granted a trust can offer other advantages. I'm not ready to dump the hundreds into getting a trust set up. I might eventually, but no idea when.

BTW, I've just used a cheek weld to the pistol buffer tube so far. Zero issues shooting that way. I'm waiting for my Sig brace to arrive which I'll then try out.

How much was the trust? $300+?

If in a free state, the Sig Brace is only $150... $500+ vs $150.... I'll take the $150.

The biggest advantage to the pistol is no 5320s for free state transport. You can move that AR pistol to any (relatively) free state in the US without having to file paperwork on it every year.

-Mike

F the brace, bulk up and use the buffer tube as a cheek rest. Recoil is
down to pansy level on pistols. I cheek fire all my AR's, which are in 'rifle' configuration. Helps to have a foregrip when you do that, but they are an ATF-no-no on a pistol. For what a $200 brace costs, most would just prefer the SBR.

I take it a pad on the end if the tube is a no no?

How big? If it can be considered to be stock, then you'll be illegal. I would rather be safe. I got a KAK pistol buffer tube specially made for the sig brace, and a sig brace. I'm still building it. A lot easier imo.

How big? If it can be considered to be stock, then you'll be illegal. I would rather be safe. I got a KAK pistol buffer tube specially made for the sig brace, and a sig brace. I'm still building it. A lot easier imo.

Did the KAK buffer tube and sig brace and I love it. It's only a 7.5" barrel so it's as accurate as a pistol but it's just fun to shoot. Worse problem I have is during the red dot with such a short sight line.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

A little birdie tells me that the rubber pad from a magpul stock will "fit" in the opening of the brace and works pretty well.

Those braces can be had for $150 with the tube. They work very well making the pistol "usable." It is not the same as an SBR, but it is close.

The one drawback with the Sig Brace is that it's not adjustable.

I've never seen or held an AR pistol with the Sig set-up, but it also appears to be on the bulky side.

IMHO, AR pistol is just a way to shoot my short upper while I wait for my tax stamp.

Personally, I started down the SBR path before SIG announced their brace; I don't regret my choice.

F the brace, bulk up and use the buffer tube as a cheek rest. Recoil is down to pansy level on pistols. I cheek fire all my AR's, which are in 'rifle' configuration. Helps to have a foregrip when you do that, but they are an ATF-no-no on a pistol.
Another definite plus in the SBR column -- vertical foregrip.

You can use the AFG instead of a vertical grip. I have an SBR AR and a pistol with a Sig brace and find them both very usable. As noted, the main difference is the time to acquisition. I had my pistol together in a few days vs the months it took me (at the time) to get my stamp for the SBR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

There are several posting in this thread who clearly have never tried an AR pistol with a Sig brace. Try it sometime.

Aside from the no NFA paperwork part, in many states you can have a pistol loaded in your car, but not a long gun.

Also, they're not $200. They're $125. And a pistol tube doesn't cost any more than a standard 6 pos tube.

I own several SBR's, and I have shot AR's with the brace before.

I'm not a fan of the Sig brace. It's a novel idea, but personally, I would rather spend the few extra dollars and put whatever stock I want to on it, and maintain the adjustability of the stock (sorry MA guys, haha). Don't really care about not being able to cross state lines with it since none of my SBR's are MA legal anyways and I don't know anyone that shoots in ME or VT.

I've always wanted a 7.5" and a holster to carry it around in [laugh]

I have a 12" pistol without the sig brace (yet) and frankly I can hold it reasonably well on my collar bone and easily hit a person at 200yds. What the hell else is needed?

Pistols make great car guns.

I've always wanted a 7.5" and a holster to carry it around in [laugh]

I have a 12" pistol without the sig brace (yet) and frankly I can hold it reasonably well on my collar bone and easily hit a person at 200yds. What the hell else is needed?

Pistols make great car guns.

Rifles do too though. It's not like you can stash an AR pistol in your glovebox. It's going to be in a case or mount somewhere, probably in the trunk. I would think slapping a mag in when you lug it out from it's hiding spot would only take a second.

I'd rather have a Glock for when I'm in the driver's seat anyways. Way more maneuverable than a long gun in that position. Outside of the car? Yeah, rifle. But while still seated inside, Glock.

I paid $99 cash for mine at the Manch gun show over the winter.

attachment.php

Definitely not useless.

Also note in NH, regardless of whether you have a pistol (sig brace or not) or a legit tax stamped SBR, you can legally keep it loaded anywhere in the vehicle as long as you have a Pistol & Revolver License.

NH considers any firearm with a barrel length of less than 16" to be a pistol.

159:1 Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length.

Back
Top Bottom