AR love/hate curiosity

Over 40 Under 40 pos/neg view of AR15 platform

• Total voters
Over 40. It's a gun, what's not to like???

I'm not one to bastardize a nice original firearm. However, the modular nature of an AR makes mods easy and reversible. Plus, building them is a blast.

I'm waaayy over forty, and love the AR platform! Most here would guess I'm a FUDD...far from it. Age has nothing to do with it. It's attitude!

What about some more "esoteric rifles'?
Like the hk 93, stoner, 74, Cetme, Hk 91, Gallil and the old M1 Carbine?
It's kind of liking fast cars...they will all get you from point a to b but some due it with a
little more "style.
I am WAY over 40, first ar in in 1968.
Love it. Still.
ggboy

Mid-20s and don't really care about ARs. I have nothing against them, it's a great platform, but I just don't like tacticool guns. Give me wood all day (not in a p-town kind of way).

Approaching 40 and I love my AR. It goes to the range with me every time, and usually gets the most rounds through it. My dad shot it once and hasn't touched it since.

I'm in my mid 20s and have had my LTC since 09' but have yet to buy/build an AR. I guess I've been hooked on the cheap ammo to shoot out of my AK, SKS, and various Mosins. I definitely like the wood and steel on guns but I have nothing against ARs. I have so many friends with ARs and have shot numerous variants but I guess I like the recoil from the mosins and AKs. Someday I'll buy/build an AR.

I feel like everytime I go to my range every person there is shooting an AR so I like shooting something different - not that an AK, mosin, or sks are that uncommon.

Love how modular the AR platforms are (AR10 and AR15). Take an AR15 lower and you have several caliber options for the upper you mate to it. You have a few caliber options for the AR10 too. You can even pair an AR15 lower up with a 50 BMG upper to really feel the BOOM!

I have two complete AR15's currently. One rifle and one pistol. The pistol is in 300 Blk. At some point I'll build an upper for that lower in 5.56 NATO. I'm also working on a 300 Blk rifle build. I have a couple more lowers that I need to color and add LPKs to. Then make uppers for them too. My plan is to have at least two uppers for each lower. Oh, and I fully intend to machine my own AR15 lower, with a solid mag well, to mate to a 50 BMG upper. Want the upper with the side-mount 5 round box mag. I have an AR10 lower that I need to complete (it's 100% machined, just need to color it then install the LPK and build the upper for it). I'm also seriously thinking of making an AR10 pistol. Just need to get another lower (80%) and make some more chips. 12.5" barrel on an AR10 pistol platform (Sig brace of course, I'm crazy, not stupid).

Realistically, I could do most of the builds I want (for the AR15 platform) with just two lowers and a slew of uppers. I'd just rather have more uppers. That way if I take people shooting, we can all have something to use without swapping parts around. Or swap parts around, keeping the lower we each like. [smile]

For the record, I'm 44...

Last edited:
Im over 40 and although I voted in favor of the AR I think its a bit of a "Trendy" thing for alot of people to own an AR, myself included. The AR was my first rifle I bought mainly because I thought they were going to be banned at some point, now that I been involved in shooting more and am more familiar with rifles I completely prefer the AK, for me its so much more easy to strip and clean than the AR which is a big thing for me.

I know the AR is a great gun to build to your liking but for me I enjoy setting up my AK's the way I like them IE refinishing the wood, putting different stocks on them ect..

All ages on NES like the AR.

The survey is skewed to show that people who use the internet like the AR.

People who would run out of space for their mouse hate them because they are such luddites that they don't appreciate anything newer than blunderbusses.

How so? Do you mean anything but iron sights, or just lights/lasers? Just curious.

Lights, lasers, vertical fore grips, collapsible stocks, pic. rails, rangefinders, jungle-clipped mags, p-mags, bungie-cord slings, etc., etc..

None of it improves the basic A2.
Just my opinion and I know I'm in the minority. To each his own.

Over 60 and voted incorrectly, what, you didn't expect that? In my haste to educate, I voted in the under 40.
In 1968, half way through Basic, they took away our real rifles and gave us M-16's. Well at least it was something else to shoot the hell out of. Didn't have to clean it for 3 days in a row either. I was next to the youngest guy on the line (I was 2nd youngest) and when he missed the target, a disappointing amount of sand was kicked up. How could something that didn't hurt on the shooter's end hurt on the other end? MAGIC bullets is how. Right. Now admittedly at 17, my knowledge of ballistics was less than sparse.
Fast forward a year. Magic bullets seemed to work...... up close. But no more so than my M-60 bullets. No, let's change that to not even close to 7.62x51. How about at distance? Are you friggin' serious?
5.56x45, 55 grain bullet @ 3250 FPS, 248 ft. lbs. at 500 yards. Drop with 250 meter zero, 39 inches.
7.62x51 147 grain bullet @ 2750 FPS, 848 ft. lbs. @ 500 yards. Drop with 250 meter zero, 39 inches. (334 ft. lbs. @ 1000 yards)
Now, as a 63 year old man, I realize that the .223 is easier to shoot than a real, by-God rifle, but until I can no longer shoot said real, by-God rifle, I'll stay away, far, far away from an AR-15.

hey you 5 haters...

vxc2mh.jpg

I sometimes run into guys who describe themselves as Vietnam vets who claim to hate the AR platform because they saw so many of their buddies die with jammed guns in their hands. Then they go on to tell me that they personally saw M16s with the Matel logo on them. I think that generation smoked too much bad weed.

For the record I'm 49 and love my AR.

Last edited:
AR is on my shopping list... I have always gotten good comments from people at the range (in Austin, TX) with my DSA FAL. Will see if that changes when I shift to a brake.

Back
Top Bottom