AR-15 Shopping List: First Time Builder

Mike, I'd stay with the tried and true methods. So I'll have to keep the tapered pin set up for the gas block on my List.

Due to good ole'Mass I'll stick with the 14.5 barrel length and do the lovely Pin and Weld compensator on it to make it 16".

Just make sure when going with a comp it is the proper length and mass "compliant." I personally went with the FSC556 and I have friends who've gone with the battlecomp1.5 and we love them all. There are also cheaper options out there but you may or may not lose out on some functionality.

Mike

This.

Stag 3H upper MSRP at $465 (this is complete)
Your lower 125
LPK by RRA 69 (@ Acme)
Buttstock ~ $60 - 120
Total $ 719 - 779

Sights, (Acme prices)
Magpul MBUS, $38.95 front & $64.95 rear = $103.90
BSA RD30 red dot $40
Millet RD00005 red dot $74.49

Building an AR for ~ $850 = do able.

Very good info, thanks a lot. I don't know whether to buy a Stag Model 3 or just build an AR. My budget is going to be $800-900

Just make sure when going with a comp it is the proper length and mass "compliant." I personally went with the FSC556 and I have friends who've gone with the battlecomp1.5 and we love them all. There are also cheaper options out there but you may or may not lose out on some functionality.

Mike

Is the "pin and weld" criteria still mandated in Mass? I can pin it no problem but I don't have any welding equipment.

Is the "pin and weld" criteria still mandated in Mass? I can pin it no problem but I don't have any welding equipment.

If you're going with a 14.5 inch barrel its federally mandated to meet the minimum length requirement. If over 16 inches in order to not be considered "threaded" which is an evil feature in Mass, you must follow federal guidelines for "permanent" muzzle device attachment. So yes, you must pin and weld or 1100 degree silver solder, but I'd recommend the former. Many shops can do it for not much money. John at Remsport charges 35 bucks. Elsewhere it ranges up to 60 to 80 bucks.

Mike

Why are threads an "evil feature"? Does that mean they are illegal? Can you just saw off or file off the threads, with a plain end?

Why are threads an "evil feature"? Does that mean they are illegal? Can you just saw off or file off the threads, with a plain end?

The 'evil feature' is "flash hider or barrel threaded to accept same" (or close to that). Like 100% of the AWB, it doesn't have to make sense.....cuz its for the children(tm)

ETA: and yes, you can, if your barrel will still be over 16" after doing so, but to do it right (aka have it done) will likely be close in cost to buying a cheap brake and having it pinned/welded.

Last edited:
Your best bet if you wanted to do it yourself would be to grind off the threads rather than saw off that portion (then you need to have it re-crowned, etc), but just do it right and get a pinned and welded brake, or buy a non-threaded barrel from the get go.

Mike

Oh, Ok! I thought getting a threaded barrel with the break and then have a shop pin & weld is the way to go but it looks like I shouldn't even bother with a threaded barrel at all since it's going to be pin/welded anyways. Thanks for the good info!

Another question on Lower Parts Kit....mainly on the trigger action. Who makes a good lower parts kit with a nice trigger action? Just tossing it out there, Spikes? Spikes has one for $72. There's an "enhanced" version for $170. Don't even know that's worth it for a 1st build. Mind you, my second build won't be a while anyways.

To sum it up, the next item i need on my shopping list is the Lower Parts Kit. Which one do you folks have and the approx cost? Obviously a nice trigger action is key for me [smile]

For the most part, all the LPKs in the $50-80 range will be the same as one another, with varying degrees of QC/QA. Go with a company like Spikes, DD, BCM, etc., and you'll get the best of the normal LPKs.

The Spikes Enhanced LPK has parts coated in a nickel boron finish. This, especially if paired with a coated BCG (and upper, sometimes) can help reduce the amount of lubrication and cleaning required to keep the rifle running, but its far from necessary.

ETA: the 'normal' triggers that come in these LPKs aren't the best available, but are generally acceptable for all-around use from the get-go, and will smooth out from use.

Very good info, thanks a lot. I don't know whether to buy a Stag Model 3 or just build an AR. My budget is going to be $800-900

Your welcome.

Replaced prices with my versions (best guess) from above:

Do "your versions" and "best guesses" include shipping? The prices quoted by me are in-store prices, no guessing.

well if you don't want anything on the end of the barrel, than don't get it threaded. If you like the look/function of a muzzle break than get it threaded and have a shop pin and weld. Just keep in mind that the length as measured from the face of the bolt to the end of the barrel must be at least 16 inches. Personally, I like the look/functionality of a muzzle brake.

With regard to lower parts kits and so fourth, the spikes battle triggers can be had for 50-60 bucks and you can find lower parts kits that do not include the trigger group for about 30 bucks if you look around. You may also end up replacing the grip. I think the spikes battle triggers are a definite noticeable improvement over a USGI trigger, but they are still not incredible. They are worth the extra 20-30 bucks though, at least to me.

Mike

For the most part, all the LPKs in the $50-80 range will be the same as one another, with varying degrees of QC/QA. Go with a company like Spikes, DD, BCM, etc., and you'll get the best of the normal LPKs.

The Spikes Enhanced LPK has parts coated in a nickel boron finish. This, especially if paired with a coated BCG (and upper, sometimes) can help reduce the amount of lubrication and cleaning required to keep the rifle running, but its far from necessary.

ETA: the 'normal' triggers that come in these LPKs aren't the best available, but are generally acceptable for all-around use from the get-go, and will smooth out from use.

Awesome info! Thanks! I figured the "enhanced" was a little overboard at this point....for me at least.

well if you don't want anything on the end of the barrel, than don't get it threaded. If you like the look/function of a muzzle break than get it threaded and have a shop pin and weld. Just keep in mind that the length as measured from the face of the bolt to the end of the barrel must be at least 16 inches. Personally, I like the look/functionality of a muzzle brake.

With regard to lower parts kits and so fourth, the spikes battle triggers can be had for 50-60 bucks and you can find lower parts kits that do not include the trigger group for about 30 bucks if you look around. You may also end up replacing the grip. I think the spikes battle triggers are a definite noticeable improvement over a USGI trigger, but they are still not incredible. They are worth the extra 20-30 bucks though, at least to me.

Mike

I definitely like the look and feel of the muzzle brake. I've shot some without and my opinion is egh.

I couldn't find too many "good names' that have the lower parts kits without the triggers. I'll probably stick with that kit for now and upgrade later. I just didn't know if there was a massive difference and to make sure it's not a"don't get that one" situation.

Awesome stuff! Keep'em coming.

... Do "your versions" and "best guesses" include shipping? The prices quoted by me are in-store prices, no guessing.

Fair enough question. I guess what I was getting at is I am not really interested in the latest trendy fashionable stuff like flat tops, fancy feed ramps, rails, fancy front ends, BUIS sights, collapsible (though non-collapsible) stocks, rubbery grips, zombie colors, or muzzle blasters. I just want the basic rifle parts is what I meant. Point taken on the "in store" versus cheap price without shipping factored in. This is true of ANYTHING you get on the computer or by catalog, not just AR parts.

Last edited:
Amazing how much prices have dropped. I wonder how much the overall equation changes in light of $35 lowers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom