• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed Shoots

I was just on the Revolutionary War Veterans Association website reading about the Appleseed shoots. Is this the group that does the local shoots you guys talk about from time to time?

I thought Appleseed shoots were a competition but they are actually a "training" session of sorts, right? I am now very interested in going to one b/c my rifle experience is almost zero and just recently decided to get a new rifle. I was going to get a WASR but I may need to upgrade that….

Anyways these Appleseed shoots seem pretty cool. Are they worth going to?

If you read thru the Appleseed forums and general info you will see that pretty much everybody with a rifle is welcome. They mention having guys with .22's, Garands, M1A's, bolt guns, SKS'es, AR's, etc. I keep meaning to attend an Appleseed, bought an M1A with the intent of going - and just haven't had the time lately. Hopefully in the fall I will be able to free up some time and attend one.

Appleseed loves all rifles that work!

Aside from the Vermont one this weekend, my next one is scheduled for this coming Tuesday (August 14) 6pm-Dusk at Harvard Sportsmen's club. Check out http://www.harvardriflemen.com for details.

Everybody says they mean to come but the past couple of times I'm getting one or none! It's a hell of a drive from Kendall Square to Harvard in rush hour traffic just to be there by myself. Not complaining too much, but it's getting a little lame.

Next one after this will be Monday August 27th... resuming the 2nd and 4th monday schedule after that. Will have a weekend one in September as well (had no available weekends this month).

Appleseed loves all rifles that work!

Aside from the Vermont one this weekend, my next one is scheduled for this coming Tuesday (August 14) 6pm-Dusk at Harvard Sportsmen's club. Check out http://www.harvardriflemen.com for details.

Everybody says they mean to come but the past couple of times I'm getting one or none! It's a hell of a drive from Kendall Square to Harvard in rush hour traffic just to be there by myself. Not complaining too much, but it's getting a little lame.

Next one after this will be Monday August 27th... resuming the 2nd and 4th monday schedule after that. Will have a weekend one in September as well (had no available weekends this month).

I'm going to try to come by to at least watch for a bit. It is on my way home, but I'll need to get home... call it moral support![wink]

OK guys, Appleseed is a great program.

We don't care what you bring, within reason. A Barrett .50 or a muzzleloader would be seriously frowned on.

We prefer you bring an easily reloaded rifle between .22 and 8mm. Bolt guns are fine, scopes are OK. Bring enough mags to hold 40 rounds, preferably 4 or more mags.

What we really suggest for most of the program, believe it or not, is a Ruger 10/22 with either a scope or Tech Sights (they are exactly like AR -A1/SP1 sights). We want you to have a sling for your rifle.

This program mirrors what High Power competition does so much, that I would have to say it would be an awesome training program to prepare you for High Power.

And, we have another one coming up in Jericho, VT on the Oct 20-21 weekend. And, there should be several in New England next year. You will want a centerfire rifle for a portion of the Jericho event, as we should be shooting to at least 400 yards.

If you have questions, contact myself or Crak. I'm an RWVA Instructor, Crak is an Instructor In Training, will be a Full Instructor pretty soon. We know the program completely, and we WANT you to attend.

If you're thinking about attending one, I also strongly suggest you make it to a couple of Mini-Appleseeds. This will give you a taste of what to expect, as well as a chanve to make sure you have a zero and the basics into you first. That is a big step up in the program.

Mikey, this is the shoot I keep inviting you and your lovely bride to!

I'll be trying to make the shoot on the 27th. I was also at the one in VT last weekend, along with my 17 year old niece. (Missed shooting Rifleman by 7 points on one Classification AQT target...)

Seriously, if you want to come out to Harvard, I'll bring my 10/22 (if I have it repaired by then) AND my M1 Garand if you want to try something with a little more recoil. It's a great time, great training, and some great history.

It's got the Dwarf's seal of approval! (and as soon as I can shoot Rifleman, I'm planning on volunteering as an Instructor In Training, too.)

Mikey, this is the shoot I keep inviting you and your lovely bride to!

I'll be trying to make the shoot on the 27th. I was also at the one in VT last weekend, along with my 17 year old niece. (Missed shooting Rifleman by 7 points on one Classification AQT target...)

Seriously, if you want to come out to Harvard, I'll bring my 10/22 (if I have it repaired by then) AND my M1 Garand if you want to try something with a little more recoil. It's a great time, great training, and some great history.

It's got the Dwarf's seal of approval! (and as soon as I can shoot Rifleman, I'm planning on volunteering as an Instructor In Training, too.)

ummm.... don't you mean the Dwarf One's seal of approval? [thinking]

I really want to come to one of the Harvard shoots. I need help!! One of these night's I'll get out of work early enough to get there!

Nope. "The dwarven one" is merely a fancy and formal way of saying "the Dwarf". [wink]

Don't worry about it; I read Tolkien a little too much and played a little too much D&D when I was growing up. Other than my delusion that I'm a Dwarf, I'm pretty normal.

Except for riding a motorcycle that thinks it's a dragon, that is. (I don't argue the point as I make it a policy never to argue with fire-breathing dragons.)

And owning guns in Massachusetts.

Oh, yeah... and thinking that my vote counts here in Massachusetts.

Other than all that, I'm mostly harmless. [wink]

Last edited:
Anyways these Appleseed shoots seem pretty cool. Are they worth going to?
Depends if you want to learn a little about April 19th, 1775, help turn America back around, and produce targets like these (or better - I'm trying for better, myself - the 200 yard portion of the classification target and the 300 yard section on the redcoat target are driving me crazy...).

If you don't, then don't bother. [wink]

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

It is easy for me.. Mike son of Mike...

Ross or Nickle how would my new to me Arsenal AK be for an Appleseed? I have a 10/22 but would like to use the AK.[mg]

You need at least 400 rounds for a full weekend Appleseed.

And how are the sights on the AK? That's key - the stock sights on a Ruger suck; swapping them out for AR-type sights from www.tech-sights.com makes your groups shrink amazingly. Never had an AK, so I don't know anything about the sights. I won't ask about reliability - I've heard about AKs. [wink]

Yeah they definitely are not as good as AR sights. Those tech-sights are pretty cool, wish there was a conversion for an AK. Maybe I will look into getting them for my 10/22.

Ross, what rifle do you use at the shoots?

First shoot, I used my M1 Garand. Second shoot, I used a borrowed 10/22 with a 2x scope on it (the rifle I'd brought up, an M1 Carbine, turned out not to be as reliable as I was hoping it was - it was all over the paper. Soon as I changed to the 10/22, my groups shrank).

Kreb's Custom has a peep sight for an ak. Snaps into where the old notch was in 2 seconds (after you spend a day cursing at the old notch trying to get it to come out).

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml#akpeepsight

There's one called a mojo sight too and it has a click adjustment for windage, but I liked the look of the krebs one better so that's what's on my ak. I'll bring it next time so you can see.

Everything learned in Appleseed works for any rifle you pick up. Usually no matter what you bring, shooter inaccuracy greatly exceeds rifle inaccuracy to start. It's great to get the basics worked up with cheap .22 ammo. Shooting these things with a 10/22 is like being on easy mode (no recoil) so you get to really concentrate on firing the shot without having to tame the beast. That's all well and good, but once you get that stuff worked out you should be going back and applying it to centerfire rifles.

Next Appleseed is Monday August 27, 6pm at Harvard. Do bring your AK and a sling. We probably won't shoot more than 80-100 rounds, so bring ~150 or so just in case.

Last edited:
Those Krebs sights look pretty good I think I might try those. Don't think I can make it the 27th I still have to order a sling and mags among other things.

Is there any mini shoots in September?

AND What is the cost of the mini shoots in Harvard?

Harvard shoots are free.

September will have 2nd and 4th Monday shoots but in October I think there's not going to be enough light to actually accomplish anything. So after September's over, I'm just going to concentrate on one good weekend afternoon shoot a month because Mondays are a big pain in the ass for everybody to get to.

There will also be a September weekend shoot but I don't know the day yet.

Harvard shoots are free.

September will have 2nd and 4th Monday shoots but in October I think there's not going to be enough light to actually accomplish anything. So after September's over, I'm just going to concentrate on one good weekend afternoon shoot a month because Mondays are a big pain in the ass for everybody to get to.

There will also be a September weekend shoot but I don't know the day yet.

Thanks crak all that sounds good especially weekend stuff.

Another questions.

I was just on the appleseedinfo forum reading about what you should bring and it says 5 mags with at least 20 rd. capacity. I only have 10 rd. mags for the 10/22 that will either be my "buckup" rifle or what Mrs. Magnum will use if she goes. I assume the 20 rd. limit is not too "important" right?

Back
Top Bottom