Appleseed Project

Yeah, if you mean AppleSEED, one of the best things I've ever done.

I went to one in the spring, and I learned how to shoot a rifle. I thought that I could kinda shoot before, but Appleseed showed me how to do it right. It's SO worth the time and money.

Slightly off topic...

We're having a FULL DISTANCE Appleseed THIS WEEKEND at Jericho Vt.

Targets at 400 yeards ! [smile] No guts, no glory ! [laugh]

Whenya gonna get another chance for this. eh ? [thinking]
For those who may not be aware, Jericho is Appleseed's only "known distance" (KD) range in New England, with distances out to 600 yards. We only get this range once a year, if that. This is a precious opportunity, not to be missed.
<snip>

This chance doesn't come along often so make it count !

There will be the usual 25m COF and the we're reccomending a minimum of 400 rounds of .22 and 200 rounds of centerfire ammo for this event.

Hey, the camping's free ! What more could you ask ? [smile]

Your right, I do mean AppleSEED Project. Thanks for the correction, I am thinking of going with my 2 boys, 11 and 9, this weekend in Colebrook, CT.
B.E.

The Full Distance AQT may go to 400 yards, but, we always try to get you out to 600 yards at Jericho, just to prove to you that it CAN be done, and not by just competition shooters.

Yup, that's the event to be at this summer.

And, as to the program itself, I'm somewhat biased. I'm one of the head people in the program, both on the Admin side and the Instructor side. Yeah, I think it's a great program. My first appearance at an Appleseed was the very same event (Hartford, CT, April 2007) Dwarven1 was at 2 1/2 years ago. I ended up helping on the line and not shooting. I had the other end of the line, working with Fred himself.

I know this will make me sound like a dumbass but..what is appleseed??

A rifle marksmanship program that also teaches an appreciation of what our founders did on April 19th, 1775.

Click on the link in my signature line to see for yourself.

We can help total beginners and experienced shooters alike.

Appleseed is dollar-for-dollar the BEST firearms training out there. It's fantastic for beginners and even better for experienced shooters who want to solidify their fundamentals. Hell, I've even done Appleseed shoots with active duty servicemen.

One of the things that's really nice about Appleseed is while the training is focused on the rifle, many of the skills and lessons learned also transfer to pistol shooting.

Jericho is my favorite shoot of the year; the range is beautiful, and I love shooting the full distance. I have a fundraiser this Saturday, but I'm going to try to make it up for Sunday (if I make it I'm bringing the M14!!!).

Are kids welcome? I'd love to go to one of these and bring my two sons (age 11 & 12).

Absolutely! Appleseed would be excellent for your boys, so long as they're mature enough to handle their rifles safely and act accordingly on a firing range. There's a safety lecture every morning before you start shooting, so make sure they pay attention.

Nickle, Dwarven et al, ever think about incorporating a pistol segment into an Appleseed? Someting I thought of the other day. Could be fun if run between 10 and 25 yards.

No time for pistols over the weekend. There's enough to do with rifles!

Talk to Jim and Mike and Bobby at NEShooters (they have their own section on this forum under training) for excellent pistol instruction. Another way to do it is to head down to your local IPSC/IDPA practices and those fine shooters will help you along.

Your right, I do mean AppleSEED Project. Thanks for the correction, I am thinking of going with my 2 boys, 11 and 9, this weekend in Colebrook, CT.
B.E.
I'll be there as an "instructor in training". Did you check the schedule? Last I saw it was sold out, but they may have had cancellations.
It is two pretty long days of shooting, shooting, more shooting, and a lot of instruction and history throughout. Lots of fun, lots of nice people, who end up tired and sometimes a little dirty but usually smiling :)

When is the next MA, RI or Southern NH one...anyone know offhand?

http://www.eventbrite.com/org/28719640?s=442480

Colebrook isn't showing as sold out any more I notice.

Last edited:
A few host ranges/clubs limit it to .22, but other than that, any rifle will work. You'll find that something like a 10/22 or semi automatic with extra magazines is the easiest for what you'd be doing. Sights capable of being zero'd at 25 yards. People do it with scopes too.
Doesn't have to be a fancy rifle. If you are willing to make do with it, it's fine. People do the program with bolt action rifles also.

Last edited:
A few host ranges/clubs limit it to .22, but other than that, any rifle will work. You'll find that something like a 10/22 or semi automatic with extra magazines is the easiest for what you'd be doing.
Doesn't have to be a fancy rifle. People do the program with bolt action rifles also.

This sounds like fun.. I have a 10/22, that is old, but I love shooting it..

Supposedly where people go to really learn how to shoot a rifle
Supposedly? I had one new shooter on the line that went from never having touched a rifle to grouping under two inches this weekend at 25 meters.

Are kids welcome? I'd love to go to one of these and bring my two sons (age 11 & 12).
If they're responsible enough to listen to the safety briefing and apply the lessons, we have no problem with them coming. There was an 8 year old on the line this weekend that came damn close to cleaning the Redcoat target... and I happen to know that his best AQT score was 181. Rifleman is 210...

Nickle, Dwarven et al, ever think about incorporating a pistol segment into an Appleseed? Someting I thought of the other day. Could be fun if run between 10 and 25 yards.
As Crak says, there's just not enough time in the weekend. Try hunting up your nearest IDPA practice, though - IDPA is a ton of fun, and you learn a new skill.

A pistol is for self-defense. A rifle is for defending your country and your liberties.

When is the next MA, RI or Southern NH one...anyone know offhand?
Harvard, MA, end of this month. I'll get the event notice up in the training forum tomorrow morning.

ok, can you use any kind of rifle?? I only have 2, and don't know if they would be good enough..
Yes. We recommend that you have peep sights that are click adjustable, a sling, and, if it's a magazine fed rifle, enough magazine space to load 40 rounds. And that it be RELIABLE!!! (Can't stress that enough - if you're futzing with the rifle, trying to get it to work, you're not learning... and you're wasting your time, and ours. If your rifle has "issues" - finicky feeding, or problems extracting - either make arrangements to borrow one, or get it to a smith to get it fixed BEFORE you take it to an Appleseed.

This sounds like fun.. I have a 10/22, that is old, but I love shooting it..

Find and read the thread on the Liberty Training Rifle for some inexpensive and easy mods you make to the 10/22. Do those mods you can afford and feel you can achieve. Sign up and GO. Ladies go free. Your only challenge will be finding 1,000 rounds of .22lr.

You'll love shooting it more when you not only shoot it well but understand WHY it is performing for you.

Back
Top Bottom