• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pics of my latest cannon project- finally done! :)

have to share completion of my latest project. been out on disability for spine surgery a couple months now with some time on my hands, been spending more time on my lathe / mill - finished my salute cannon that I started years ago and just too busy to dedicate time on finishing it. 100% handmade on my lathe & mill, the brass is 5" across by 12" long with a 1 3/4" bore / 1" gunpowder well at the bottom- solid naval brass. all stainless steel, pewter and brass accents. brass trunnion and trunnion caps, oak sled carriage, 6" oak wheels with 3/4" brass axle and axle pins. has a stainless & brass fuse holder with a pewter skull fuse cap- (to keep the fuse from burning the oak)
I fired it yesterday (loaded with "ffg" blackpowder and newspaper wadding) it was truly magnificent! a deep thunderous crack that echoed for several seconds around the lake - it weighs about 55 - 60lbs. my neighbor saw (heard) it and now I'm making him one! you can probably hear this thing 2 miles away lol

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 195
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 197
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 181
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 173
  • c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 169
  • c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 164
  • c8.jpg
    c8.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 162
  • c9.jpg
    c9.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 191
some pics of the cannon I'm cutting now for my neighbor- turning & boring the barrel (60 lb stock 360 brass bar), milling the trunnion caps and trunnions and axle ;) (same size cannon)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 74
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 79
some pics of the cannon I'm cutting now for my neighbor- turning & boring the barrel (60 lb stock 360 brass bar), milling the trunnion caps and trunnions and axle ;) (same size cannon)

Probably can't turn them out fast enough to make it a business, but if you want extra coin I bet you would get a slew of people from NES who would want one made. (ME, ME, ME!!!;))

What’s the going rate per pound?
$15-$20?
not really sure- the 360 brass barrel stock (5" x 12") alone is over $750. then you have the trunnion brass ($45) axle brass ($50) and trunnion cap brass ($40) then the oak and metal accents which adds another $150 in stock and a lot more time to build. my neighbor wants to build his own carriage, so I just did the barrel, trunnion, trunnion caps and axle for him.
i guess if I had to put a price on my cannon above with the finished carriage- it would be somewhere around $1500 - $1700. I see other similar cannons on-line selling for around $2500- it's actually not easy to find salute cannons this large on-line.
just to add (i know you didn't ask ;) ) to play nicely with the regs I choose to keep it muzzle loading- or if it's breech loading, it can't accept a preloaded cartridge (like a 12 ga or 10 ga for example) or use an automatic firing mechanism like a firearm would use. percussion cap, flint or fuse keeps it legal everywhere. and I always like to reiterate, NEVER use smokless powder or load any projectile into these- FFG goex or pyrodex-rs is the recommended charge packed with newspaper or damp rag. ;)

most peop
Probably can't turn them out fast enough to make it a business, but if you want extra coin I bet you would get a slew of people from NES who would want one made. (ME, ME, ME!!!;))
most people run away when they find out how much these things cost to build "turn-key" ... you're looking at $800 alone just in brass (barrel, axle, trunnions & trunnion caps +stainless hardware)

That is a LOT of Brass. I turned down purchasing a piece of large
Brass Round at the Scrap Yard. Even at $3 per pound it was still very
expensive.

I have a Steel .50 Cal Cannon Barrel I need to make the carriage for. I am
looking to cut most of the wood out with a 80W Laser first. The Hubs of
the Carriage will be done on one of the wood lathes.

Malodave

Saw this, then clicked your profile. It all checks out now, I knew you had to be in NH.
yep- lived in mass for 42 years, which was 41 years too long! moved to Nh 6 years ago- I refused to raise my family in massachusetts.
and one of the first things I did when I moved to nh was a form 1 suppressor build! lol

yep- lived in mass for 42 years, which was 41 years too long! moved to Nh 6 years ago- I refused to raise my family in massachusetts.
and one of the first things I did when I moved to nh was a form 1 suppressor build! lol
Ya someday I’ll have nice things like a can on my rifles lol. One can dream.

Back
Top Bottom