Anyone with kids have their Doctor ask if there are guns in the house yet?

My boys Doctor has asked. I simply answer no. Its no ones business if I have a sling shot or a bazooka in my safe. I refuse to entertain their question with any other information that like many others have said has no effect on my boys health care.

Here's a picture of the form, obviously I had to blur out most of the form. But the "Social History" section is on all of the forms. It appears that it'll remain in the record and be persistent in future records.

form.jpg

I have never been asked personally but it is on the forms we fill out when we go. My response has been to alternate whether I answer yes or no. Last time I answered no, next time I'll answer yes.

I figure if they finally catch on and ask me about it I'll just respond. "Well I had one but I had to get rid of the evidence"

I am a PICU doc and did general pediatrics before that. As part of residency, we were taught to ask that question, and it makes sense. It's not out of arrogance, or "empowering children" (the office that said that clearly has their heads up their asses). It's about safety, plain and simple. The follow-up question is "are they locked up"? If the answer is yes, end of story, all good. If you reply with a polite "I'd prefer not to talk about it", that would be fine in my book, too. If they're laying around for kids to get ahold of, expect the conversation to last a bit longer. But if you you want to tell me "it's none of your damn business" and puff up your chest? Ok by me - help yourself to the door and don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.

Every year WAY too many kids get hurt or killed playing with daddy or mommy's guns. I've seen it firsthand. The first time you see a child come in braindead from being accidentally shot by his younger brother you'll eat your words about getting all "offended" by the question. I couldn't care less if you're offended if it means that it'll help an irresponsible gun owner keep their children safe. Don't like it? I don't care.

When I bring my son to his own pediatrician, if they ask, I'll either say "no" or "yes, and they're locked up or on me" and be done with it. Why so many panties in a bunch over trying to keep children safe?? There are a lot of irresponsible people out there that need a reminder about their kids. That's it.

Last edited:
I am a PICU doc and did general pediatrics before that. As part of residency, we were taught to ask that question, and it makes sense. It's not out of arrogance, or "empowering children" (the office that said that clearly has their heads up their asses). It's about safety, plain and simple. The follow-up question is "are they locked up"? If the answer is yes, end of story, all good. If you reply with a polite "I'd prefer not to talk about it", that would be fine in my book, too. If they're laying around for kids to get ahold of, expect the conversation to last a bit longer. But if you you want to tell me "it's none of your damn business" and puff up your chest? Ok by me - help yourself to the door and don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.

Every year WAY too many kids get hurt or killed playing with daddy or mommy's guns. I've seen it firsthand. The first time you see a child come in braindead from being accidentally shot by his younger brother you'll eat your words about getting all "offended" by the question. I couldn't care less if you're offended if it means that it'll help an irresponsible gun owner keep their children safe. Don't like it? I don't care.

When I bring my son to his own pediatrician, if they ask, I'll either say "no" or "yes, and they're locked up or on me" and be done with it. Why so many panties in a bunch over trying to keep children safe?? There are a lot of irresponsible people out there that need a reminder about their kids. That's it.

Oh it's for the children... sniff.......sniff.....cry.........cry.... Oh the children.... Thank god I have people like you to protect me from myself. What ever would I do without the protectionists like yourself who think they know better about what happens in my home then I do.

What........... you mean I'm not supposed to keep my pistol in the cookie jar... Don't look down. It's an awfully long fall from that high horse you're riding.

Last edited:
My kids have been told since a young age that the answer to questions like that is "My father told me not to answer questions like that."

I don't choose Pediatricians by whether they ask questions like that, vote Libertarian, drive a Hummer, hate the military, narried to a same-sex partner, etc. I choose them by whether or not they are good pediatricians. I consider the gun questions to be the beginning of a discussion about proper firearm storage, secure storage laws, etc. I've never foundpicking up my marbles and going home to be a very effective way to win people over to my way of thinking.

Did they ask "Do you have a car seat? Wear seat belts? Know how to swim? Have prescription drugs in the home?" Car accidents are, by far the #1 cause of accidental death and injury of kids in the US and most other countries. In the US about 10,000 kids a year die from car crashes and about 500 are injured per day.

Rates vary by state and age but drowning and firearms each account for several thousand child deaths per year in the US. Kids 1-4, for example are more likely to drown than older kids. BTW "Poisoning" usually includes drug overdoses. Note that CDC uses 10-14 and 15-24 age groups. Other studies lump all kids 17-under together so the numbers are a little different.

Which causes more accidental deaths: guns or swimming pools?

10LCID_Violence_Related_Injury_Deaths_2010-a.gif

CDC has many reports, broken down many ways. But to deny that firearm deaths and suicides with firearms don't occur regularly in the US is belied by those statistics.

Last edited:
Oh it's for the children... sniff.......sniff.....cry.........cry.... Oh the children.... Thank god I have people like you to protect me from myself. What ever would I do without the protectionists like yourself who think they know better about what happens in my home then I do.

What........... you mean I'm not supposed to keep my pistol in the cookie jar... Don't look down. It's an awfully long fall from that high horse you're riding.
[laugh2]
I KNEW there would be some sarcastic poster to pick out the "for the children" line. As I said, it's not about arrogance or thinking I'm better than anyone.

Like Garandman said (and I don't know which way he lies on the subject from his post, but he brought up very good points): it's one of a BUNCH of questions that should be asked, along with "is there a swimming pool? If so, is it fenced in?" "Does your infant sit in a car seat in the back seat facing the rear?" "Are there guns in the home? If so, are they locked up?" And that's really the way the question should be phrased, not "Do you own guns?". It's not about pointing fingers.

Prebanman, if you're a responsible gun owner, good on you. But there are many people who aren't, and if you think that because you live in your own little world that the rest of us will just assume everyone is safe, you're off your rocker.

If that question offends you, you are WAY too sensitive, and sounds like you need someone to pat you on the bum and tell you you're the best daddy ever. With all your whining, you're sounding a lot like the liberals I'm pretty sure you make fun of.

I see a doctor about HEALTH issues, not SAFETY issues. Boundary violations piss me off.

I understand the intention of the question, I guess. However, and maybe you could answer, as you're in the field. How many parents, when asked, would say "Nope, not locked up, in fact my child is playing traffic right now with my Glock?" Does this question really yield a honest answer in cases where a firearm isn't locked up? Secondly, the only questions I've been asked at two different Pediatrician, in respects to my child's safety is 1) Do we smoke and 2) Are there Guns in the house? Never once was anything ask or documented regarding others, more dangerous and common items such as the items listed by...

garandman said:
Did they ask "Do you have a car seat? Wear seat belts? Know how to swim? Have prescription drugs in the home?" Car accidents are, by far the #1 cause of accidental death and injury of kids in the US and most other countries. In the US about 10,000 kids a year die from car crashes and about 500 are injured per day.

Additionally, I'm also confused as to why this "Social History" which I posted a picture of, is on every form, alongside known allergies...

These are honest questions, I'm not trying to give ya shit.

mine noticed that I had a holster on a few weeks ago, asked if I ever felt sad. repeatedly.

yeah, Im ****ing sad that my hc premiums went up so you could ask if I feel sad over and over again.

Im sad that the standard of care is a rushed 3 minute conversation as you try to hock pills onto your patients.

Im sad that you just told me that I could eat red meat, but it has to be the size of my palm and upon noting that I have a larger palm, to cut that down by 1/4.

Im sad that upon entering the facility, your nurse took 15 bucks I could have used to get a steak. Bigger than said palm.

Im sad that Im being referred to a nutritionist who is going to tell me about the joys of eating rice cakes and red meat smaller than 1/4 of my ****ing palm.

Im sad that I dont drink yet Im asked repeatedly how many wobbly pops I consume per week....even though I answered it the first dozen times and it still hasnt changed from 4.

Yeah, Im sad. Can I have some Xanax, a lobotomy, a membership to the DNC and my EBT card now?

I don't make it a habit of discussing my day trip destinations with the guys who do the tire and brake service on the truck, despite that's how I'd get there.

I likewise don't make it a habit of discussing decidedly non-medical matters with the family physician.

My tin foil hat is on today (keeps the snow off) but it is a fact that the Soviets used "philosophical intoxication" as a method to oppress those that did not agree and the whole Soviet mental health system was set up to support the suppression of thought and actions. That is why this whole unrelated questioning concerns me and the push to make "mental health" the standard by which rights can be granted. While the below steps to communist take over is simply read into the Congressional Record, and may simply reflect an opinion, it does seem strangely prophetic:

38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat]. 39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.

41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.

I find it interesting, that these AMA folks are so interested in promoting their beliefs that when I find one that bucks the system, it really throws me off.

A lot of nurses I know thanks to my mom are gun owners, mostly for home defense, but a good deal of them have a hidden pistol in most rooms, "just in case".

My neuro told me to take up long distance rifle shooting to address my hand tremors.

Takes all kinds, but it's sound like pediatricians are punks.

If that question offends you, you are WAY too sensitive, and sounds like you need someone to pat you on the bum and tell you you're the best daddy ever. With all your whining, you're sounding a lot like the liberals I'm pretty sure you make fun of.
Well then, in that vein.

How's your wife in the sack?

If that question offends you, you are WAY too sensitive, and sounds like you need someone to pat you on the bum and tell you you're the best doctor ever.

sorry dude. it's NOYFB what happens outside of medical treatment. If you want to play social worker, then ask if they're taking drugs, drink too much, have a gate around the pool,....on and on...

I'm spoiled, my doc is a great guy...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this appeared over at Lew Rockwell's blog:
Without a Shot

Action #2, #14, #16, #17, #21, and #22 utilize the national healthcare system

What think y'all? Tinfoil hattery?

Yes. [tinfoil]
Only #2 is really an issue. Everybody has been saying mental health was a root cause, so we should be concerned when mental health issues are part of the presidential response to Sandy Hook?

Evadd said:
I am a PICU doc and did general pediatrics before that. As part of residency, we were taught to ask that question, and it makes sense. It's not out of arrogance, or "empowering children" (the office that said that clearly has their heads up their asses). It's about safety, plain and simple.

You might believe that personally, but the truth is, the American Academy of Pediatrics is strongly anti-gun and anti-gunowner, including it's President; the AAP has endorsed Feinstein's new AWB.

Is the question about safety, or about "removing guns from homes and communities”? (Pediatrics, 11/2012).

Last edited:
Is the question about safety, or about "removing guns from homes and communities”? (Pediatrics, 11/2012).

This fact is undeniable. When I tell them, as MY professional, not to do something they should respect my instruction and abide by it. End of story. In my case, she blatantly refused despite my concerns with respect to the education I wanted to provide (not to mention the fact that the doc has never provided any safety training and I know other parents who go to her). If they had the Eddie Eagle program or something like that ready I would not be as concerned. In my mind, not all but some, of these people simply see firearms as another sickness to be dealt with and that those who have these are carriers of a plague that they need to stamp out.

/When I bring my son to his own pediatrician, if they ask, I'll either say "no" or "yes, and they're locked up or on me" and be done with it. Why so many panties in a bunch over trying to keep children safe?? There are a lot of irresponsible people out there that need a reminder about their kids. That's it.

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.
It's a free country, but when folks don't store or care for their guns, IMHO it's not helping the cause.

Wow! So much fail in there I don't know where to begin.

God complex?

My tin foil hat is on today (keeps the snow off) but it is a fact that the Soviets used "philosophical intoxication" as a method to oppress those that did not agree and the whole Soviet mental health system was set up to support the suppression of thought and actions. That is why this whole unrelated questioning concerns me and the push to make "mental health" the standard by which rights can be granted. While the below steps to communist take over is simply read into the Congressional Record, and may simply reflect an opinion, it does seem strangely prophetic:

38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat]. 39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.

41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.

Right there with you - Obamacare will be used to help engineer social change, including what you eat and drink, and of course as another venue to restrict gun ownership. 'Benign' agencies like the FCC, NOAA, etc are arming themselves and stockpiling ammunition. Schools and universities continue to grow in indoctrination versus education

The follow-up question is "are they locked up"? If the answer is yes, end of story, all good. If you reply with a polite "I'd prefer not to talk about it", that would be fine in my book, too. If they're laying around for kids to get ahold of, expect the conversation to last a bit longer.

I hate this. This issue is not a black-white, lockedup-"laying about" dichotomy.

I was raised in a house where there was a loaded gun present. And it was never locked up. The other guns were unloaded and in a glass gun cabinet. And my brother and I NEVER touched them without permission. Gun-proof your kids people.

You know what else wasn't locked up? The kitchen knives, the glassware, the pool, the biting bunny, baseball bats, etc. You cannot lock everything up, and a determined kid can probably get through your security anyway.

You cannot possibly know what constitutes safe storage unless you have seen the house and know the habits and behavior of the people who come through there routinely. If I had an ill-mannered 6 year old nephew in my house all the time, then yes, the guns would be locked up when he was around (assuming we continued to allow visits, which is wildly unlikely). With two adults and any visiting children being delightful people under their parents' supervision and capable of outshooting half the adults I know?? HA!

It's a free country, but when folks don't store or care for their guns, IMHO it's not helping the cause.

Horse dung. My glock lives on my desk when I'm in my office, and in my night stand afterwards. No silly locks, no "cases" nothing, it's in a holster.

What cause is that not helping? It's not hurting a damn thing.

But don't you all know that a gun in the home is like 8 million times more likely to kill a family member than be used against a criminal?

/sarcasm

Gun-proof your kids people.

+ a million

How many stories have we seen in the past couple of years about kids defending themselves from an intruder meaning them harm, by using the 'family' gun or their parents gun left loaded and available to them. Mom and Dad taught them about guns, trained them and trusted them.

Back
Top Bottom