Anyone with kids have their Doctor ask if there are guns in the house yet?

Medical Chart:
"Inquired about child safety in the home. Pt's father became aggressive and belligerent. Pt education concerning gun safety in the home was refused by pt's father. Pt's father threatened to remove his five children from the care of this facility. Incident was reported to child services."

I think it is best to redirect the provider to the task at hand. Do not attend, "check ups" or "routine preventative" visits. When they are not focusing on an illness all these other issues come up. Use the medical services for active medical issues. You have no obligation to answer any of their questions and you can ask them to move onto the next question.

I would either say no guns in the home or "next question please."

Years ago a Doctor asked my son in front of me, my son was around seven at the time and hadn't seen my guns.

Doc: Are there guns in your home?

My son: No.

Doc to me: Any guns in your home?

Me: Not as far as either one of you know.

Our Pedi has never asked my sons or I about guns in the home. However aside from being a great Doc he's an outdoors man, a heck of a hunter and knows I teach Hunter Ed. He's a keeper.

You must be a conspiracy theorist. I wish my profession was so organized as to accomplish this. So you are saying that the Gov tells me what to ask and document? No. You are completely wrong. We all practice how we feel based on evidence-based medicine, studies, stats, and experience. Nobody tells me what to ask and report, with the exception of abuse. I am a mandatory reporter of abusive situations, not guns or what you choose to do on the weekend.

Your profession should be organized enough to accomplish this and more, I depend on you for life changing calls every time I see a doctor. Not to worry though the government is here to help. Your being shifted to the ICD-10 encoding standard shortly and the The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, which is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) will assure every thing you record will be in standardized format for a full roll up into the stage 2 meaningful use standard (yet to be announced)

I gave the doctor the shock of her life when she was asking this at one of my 2yr olds appt. I stated I couldn't speak for my tenant downstairs but I'm sure this is the safest doctors office in the state right now. The look on her face was priceless and she moved right along.

I haven't read the entire thread but as a psychiatrist I can tell you that access to firearms is a standard question on all initial evaluations, particularly in patients with current or past suicidal thoughts/violent ideations. I can't speak for general pediatrics but in terms of youth suicide, access to firearms is the most important measure to assess. Most youngsters commit suicide via firearms. It's a question on the board exam every single year. Not only psychiatry but the psychiatry section of general medicine boards.

Serious questions. I have no first hand experience with care of suicidal patients from any perspective, but your comments trigger a number of questions for me. If they come off as combative, I apologize, I do not intend a personal attack, but rather an honest questioning of the science and SOPs in this field.

Isn't it most MALE youngsters who commit suicide by firearms? I believe the total male rate is something like 55% by firearms while for females it is 30% (please forgive me if the numbers are a bit off - I no longer have access to all the journals, much to my dismay, and this is not my area of expertise so I may not be looking at the best sources). So is it standard practice to handle female patients on the basis of male standards of care? Females are not most at risk of suicide via gunshot, so focusing on the presence of guns, as opposed to the means which they, statistically do prefer, is providing substandard care for women by assuming that they function the same as men. I had thought that such things were discredited some time ago as science has realized that different age/gender/ethnic backgrounds are not interchangeable and that biological differences which are critical for providing good care must be considered.

If the presence of a firearm is in fact a RISK FACTOR for suicide, then one would expect to have seen a decrease in suicides in, e.g. the UK and Australia after they instituted gun bans. Can you point me to any such study? All I see are reports of decreases in suicides by gunshot, which is not the same thing. If there is restricted access to firearms, one would logically expect gunshot deaths to decrease. However, logically, I would also expect suicide deaths overall to be unchanged - there are a number of alternative means, and I would expect that you would simply see an increase in suicide by non-gunshot methods. So is the presence of a firearm a risk factor for suicide or just a risk factor for suicide by gunshot? One is important, the other is immaterial. I don't give a fig HOW they die, they're still dead.

I can't speak for general pediatrics but in terms of youth suicide, access to firearms is the most important measure to assess.

I would love to have you clarify this, because as written, i.e. "the most important measure to assess," it would seem that the field believes that access to a firearm is more important than, e.g. existence/strength of a support network, family history of suicide/suicidal thoughts, intensity of suicidal thoughts, presence of depressive triggers (such as a bully, abuser, etc), desire to seek help, etc. Is that really what you mean? If a patient says "I am feeling suicidal", the most important thing to know is whether or not they have access to a firearm?

My wife and I have the same primary care doctor. She's from the mountains of NC and I'm pretty sure she assumes there's guns in every home. She's never asked. My kids pedi has never asked either. This thread, however, prompted me to bring the subject up at dinner last night.

I said to my wife "You know that if the doctor ever asks if there's guns in the house you should tell them 'Its none of your goddamn business' but the 'goddamn' is optional" Her reply was "First, you're bringing the kids to the doctor until I get out of school next year and second, I'm not stupid!" That's my girl.

Especially after the points Nicole brings up I'm failing to see HOW it is even a relevant question. No offense DrDavid but all shrinks feel they can solve all problems and talk them through. First off if a question is just being asked and noted in a chart(especially that of a 2yr olds), what good is it doing besides that of an alterior motive. Second of all, do these doctors really believe that it is even relevant. They for one are insinuating and assuming that all gun owners are irresponsible. They also apparently don't realize how extensive the laws are in this state. They also apparently are assuming parents will not utilize due diligence to safeguard their children from possible firearm incidents, let alone educate them about them... Gasp. As previously mentioned this question was used as an in for dcf and to let the state steam roll through that families privacy and home. I'm sure the percentage with a MD with a firearms safety knowledge is at the rate of overall society. Therefor there are a lot who are asking questions on a subject they are completely ignorant in. I will note that from what I have seen those that are familiar with them DO NOT ASK. It is those that have no knowledge in them that as stated above are looking to demonize the issue. An issue where uneducated doctors should not be sticking their nose.

"Guns in the house, Doc ?" "Yeah, this is our Living Room - but it's nothin' compared to the Garage"

gun_collector_4.jpg

Rome learned this lession more than 1500 years ago. The Roman Empire tried to subjegate the Saxons and Celts in Britian by force. After taking such heavy losses that the value of the land no longer justified the cost to rule it, they built a wall to protect themselves. A few hundred years later, a different Roman Empire subjugated them without a war, by offering their children a free education. The erradicated the Saxon and Celtic cultures in 2 generations.

The power of FREE STUFF.

Many studies have concluded that the Homosexual Lifestyle takes an average of TWENTY YEARS off your life.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2005/jun/05060606

Do ya think Doctors will start asking THAT QUESTION ? And if the Patient replies in the affirmative, the Doctor will point out the associated Health Risks, and advise against it ?

Last edited:
Do I own a gun? No, I don't 'a' gun.....

Sort of when I was asked "Assault weapons, do you own one?", I replied "no I don't own ONE".....

Do you smoke? I replied Tobacco?, no never touch the stuff.....

My primary care doc asked me what I have for guns. Of course this was after a lengthy conversation about how he would go about getting his license. If anyone is looking for a doc in Metrowest let me know......

They asked me during a physical when I was 18. I said yes and they're mine. It just kinda caught me off guard so if they ever ask again I'll say they all got lost in a boating accident.

As a new resident of MA I was surprised when our pediatrician in Cambridge did NOT ask. I was all ready with feigned anger and the mother of all statistics.

60 kids are killed in accidental shootings every year.
600 kids are killed in accidental drownings in swimming pools every year.

If you really cared about keeping kids safe, you'd be asking me if I had a swimming pool.

This idea of people other than the parents being responsible for my kids well being is just infuriating. When we had our first child we were given a form to fill out that would set up an account where the state would send us reminders when inoculations were due.

I left it blank. The hospital administrator (not a member of the clinical staff, they were AMAZING) came back and said "you forgot to fill this out"

I told her No. I didn't forget. I wasn't going to fill it out.
Well, you are supposed to, was her reply.

I told her to get out of our room before I called hospital security.
The next day she came back while I wasn't around and tried to talk to my wife.
I was very proud of her. My wife told her that our child's care was our responsibility. We would consult with our doctor and do what we felt was best, without the involvement of the state.

Don

Last edited:
My kids have been instructed to tell anyone who asks "My father says not to answer questions like that."
No one has pursued that line of questioning beyond that.

Medical professionals are the sum total of their education and experience. Four years of undergrad, then med school followed by residency and maybe a post med school PhD or MPH is going to be a long time to spend in academia and become convinced that "progressive" values are the only values.

I wonder how many faculty members of the medical schools in Boston are pro-2A and of those that are, keep quiet about it lest they rock the boat and not get tenure or experience peer rejection? It's not about a medical conspiracy, it is about, as the late Charlton Heaston said cultural warfare which crosses through every demographic and social dynamic in our country. In one sense it is almost akin to the impact that the issue of slavery had on 18th and 19th Century America.

There are many silent conservative pro-2A's even in the bowels of Boston's academia. We stay silent because as you said, the cultural milieu is just so "progressive" (insane). Pro Obama. Pro government. Pro gay marriage. But very very very anti-2A. I let it slip I was an NRA member once. Like a fart in church...

I've grown sick of concealing this. I told her that not only do we have guns, but that when I saw my sons penis in utero on the ultrasound, I ordered a collectors' grade M1 Garand for him, and that now he is one of a select cadre of thee year olds in Massachusetts who owns a battle rifle. She was unfazed.

I've grown sick of concealing this. I told her that not only do we have guns, but that when I saw my sons penis in utero on the ultrasound, I ordered a collectors' grade M1 Garand for him, and that now he is one of a select cadre of thee year olds in Massachusetts who owns a battle rifle. She was unfazed.

Admit it. If it was a girl, you'd have bought one for her, too.

Short version...

My kids doctor asked and I started to get agitated...doctors asked me to hold on a minute and handed me a bunch of "Eddie Eagle" stuff. She and her husband (also a doctor) are both gun owners and believe education is the safest think for kids.

We were sad to leave her practice when we moved.

There are many silent conservative pro-2A's even in the bowels of Boston's academia. We stay silent because as you said, the cultural milieu is just so "progressive" (insane). Pro Obama. Pro government. Pro gay marriage. But very very very anti-2A. I let it slip I was an NRA member once. Like a fart in church...

This is VERY true. I adjunct at a law school and it is virtually a given that you are part of the "club." The only one who can openly be conservative on issues withut being run out of town on a rail is the university prof. emeritus who use to be an SJC justice (a good one). They can't touch him because prestige of having a former SJC justice on the staff roll.

If you have the kid wear the "NRA Sports" tee shirt to the doctor's, they won't have to ask.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom