• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone with kids have their Doctor ask if there are guns in the house yet?

I think the proper response is "No" and look like you think they are crazy for asking.

Any other answer is going to be interpreted as Yes. The MD will right down patient refused to answer or simply put your statement in quotes.

My daughter is 17 MONTHS old. On our first check up at just a couple of days old they asked us. WTF. The answer was no. They also told us that breast feeding wasn't "THAT" important??? NO breastfeeding advice when we said we were having difficulty just "don't worry too much about it" This was in a practice in a very wealthy Boston suburb

They also asked us if we wanted to get her vaccinated for Hep B. I told the doc that neither my wife nor I were IV drug users and that my daughter wasn't sexually active yet as she was only a few days old so we'd pass for now.

They've been asking since we brought my first kid home 6 years ago. And getting the same answer- "none of your business, thank you" as well.

Never trust a skinny chef, nor a doctor who votes democrat.

My doctor bought his first gun from me a few decades back, I think he has a fair idea what the score is.

ask the doc if she knows how many are killed by doctor's mistakes every year?

The REALITY is that the people that make ignorant statements like this are the same people that beg and pray for our help when something goes bad. If we're so accident prone, why bother? We "sometimes" make mistakes because we are human and unfortunately our job has no margin for error. There is such an elitist attitude in this place. Go ahead, flame away. I know it will make you feel all powerful.

Stop for a second and actually use your head to think about why some providers ask the question. It is not to punish you. It is to try and help. I don't personally ask this question, but I respect those that do. I also respect your right not to answer. Just be respectful about it. A lot of you talk down to people and it really makes you look foolish.

Last edited:
My kid has always declined to answer, and leaves the questionnaire blank. When he was younger, I, or my wife, was always present for any pediatrician visit and would tell them plainly that we would not answer questions which we felt were inappropriate or unrelated to his medical care.

Win.

My answer to this from 5 yrs ago.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...atrician-paranoia-runs-deep-9.html#post398656

- - - Updated - - -

The REALITY is that the people that make ignorant statements like this are the same people that beg and pray for our help when something goes bad. If we're so accident prone, why bother? We "sometimes" make mistakes because we are human and unfortunately our job has no margin for error. There is such an elitist attitude in this place. Go ahead, flame away. I know it will make you feel all powerful.

Stop for a second and actually use your head to think about why some providers ask the question. It is not to punish you. It is to try and help. I don't personally ask this question, but I respect those that do. I also respect your right not to answer. Just be respectful about it. A lot of you talk down to people and it really makes you look foolish.

united states - Are more people accidentally killed by doctors than accidentally killed by guns and traffic combined? - Skeptics

While I agree with most of what you said, I don't agree with the " it is to try and help" part when asking the question. Doctors are forced to snoop for the bureaucrats so that they can plan their next intrusive regulation. It will sooner or later be used by the insurance industry to raise insurance rates. That's why some doctors also ask you if you wear a seat belt? WTF does that have to do with why I'm there? Would a seat belt prevent my hemorrhoids?

Strongly anti-gun, the American Academy of Pediatrics promotes these questions

I disagree. I don't believe these doctors are asking the gun question because they know asking is the right thing to do, or is helpful -- if Pediatricians wanted to protect children from risks, they'd be asking about swimming pools and cleaning products and high places, all much more serious risks to children 0-12.

Pediatricians are asking gun questions because the American Academy of Pediatrics indoctrinates them with belief that asking this question is proper. As it happens, the same American Academy of Pediatrics has endorsed Feinstein's new AWB, publishes a book for expectant mothers which states in part “Guns should not be in the home of any child”, and “The best way to protect children from firearm-related injuries is to remove guns from homes and communities”. In the November 2012 issue of their journal, Pediatrics the academy states : "The AAP affirms that the most effective measure to prevent fire-arm-related injuries to children is the absence of guns from homes and communities.".

The AAP also recommends that parents “NEVER have a gun in the home” (“NEVER” capitalized in their statement). (Found via Forbes)

From A letter by the president of the AAP:
AAP said:
"The AAP supports regulation of the manufacture and importation of high-powered assault weapons. With the expiration of the 1994 federal Assault Weapons ban in 2004, some states have considered enacting their own assault weapons ban. An effective ban on assault weapons should a broad definition of an “assault weapon.” It should ban possession, manufacture, transfer, sale, and import of assault weapons. Current assault weapons should not be excluded from the ban by “grandfathering” them. The ban should include stiff penalties for violating the statute. Civil and criminal sanctions should be included. The ban should also include a prohibition on the purchase, sale, or possession of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds.
The AAP urges that guns be subject to consumer product regulations regarding child access,
safety, and design.
AAP’s practice guide, Bright Futures, urges pediatricians to counsel parents who possess guns that safe storage and preventing access to guns reduces injury by as much as 70%, and that the presence of a gun in the home increases the risk for suicide among adolescents. Physician counseling, when linked with the distribution of cable locks, has been demonstrated to increase safer home storage of firearms. The removal of guns or the restriction of access should be reinforced for children and adolescents with mood disorders, substance abuse (including alcohol), or history of suicide attempts."

Doctors are not immune to propaganda.

My point is i don't need a docor or PA to HELP me know how to properly store my fire arms.....especially from a doctor or PA that probably knows not one damn thing about fire arms. THe PAA with thier propaganda war is just another instance of the liberal fools telling the american citizen what is best for them! If I run into a situation with a PA or doc asking my child about fire arms in my home he/she will be politely asked to have a chat in a private office and get an ear full!

What makes you look foolish is feebly trying to defend the AAP's propaganda campaign.

The visiting speech therapist today asked, "Are there any unsecured weapons in the home." I was ready for the gun question and she took me completely off guard. I am actually okay with that question. It leaves it open ended, is not asking specifically about guns, and does consider a lot of hazards to children. My answer was no with the exception of the baseball bat at the front door. She laughed and we moved on. I didn't feel compelled to lecture her on the the number one weapon used in violent crime by the FBI stats.

While I agree with most of what you said, I don't agree with the " it is to try and help" part when asking the question. Doctors are forced to snoop for the bureaucrats so that they can plan their next intrusive regulation. It will sooner or later be used by the insurance industry to raise insurance rates. That's why some doctors also ask you if you wear a seat belt? WTF does that have to do with why I'm there? Would a seat belt prevent my hemorrhoids?

This right here is the biggest reason why this question should not be asked, and it has nothing to do with the safety of children, even though the MDs themselves have been indoctrinated into this belief. Once this information is on record, it will remain so forever, regardless if you "lie" at another point down the road. This information WILL eventually be used in actuarial calculations to determine your "risk profile" to the insurance company. This is not tinfoil, it is fact!

We ask about seatbelt use because in certain age groups, the causes of death are different. My well-physicals are age-specific. If you are a male in your 20s, I ask about testicular exams, sunscreen, and seatbelt use, as well as the usual smoking, drugs, and ETOH stuff. If you are in your 50s, your prostate takes on more of a focus. These are health matenance issues, not snooping for your insurance company. You can all go ahead and think I am secretly plotting with the GOV against you. Does not bother me. Your paranoia (some of you) is quite entertaining though. Actually, I take that back, a little worrisome at the same time.

Gringo, you really need to find another hobby! Lol.

This right here is the biggest reason why this question should not be asked, and it has nothing to do with the safety of children, even though the MDs themselves have been indoctrinated into this belief. Once this information is on record, it will remain so forever, regardless if you "lie" at another point down the road. This information WILL eventually be used in actuarial calculations to determine your "risk profile" to the insurance company. This is not tinfoil, it is fact!

This part about the insurance companies is an interesting point. I recently adjusted my life insurance and, as part of the process, you consent to have they contact the doctor about your medical records. It is not without reason that they may put this as a factor into your calculation. However, I will defer to any docs here who have been contacted by insurance agencies in the past about what they ask for. I would assume they are more interested in whether or not I have a large growth of cancer sticking out of my head.

For you, personally, you believe the question is about safety.

For the AMA and AAP, the "guns" question is 99.99% political.

I would not disagree that at "political" levels, motives are not pure. Thankfully, nobody ever sees my patient's info unless they sign a release. Privacy is sacred. Yes, the GOV can always do what they want, but none of us are that important...well, maybe not.

Life insurance is a totally different issue. They are a business covering you up to $500k to $1M. They have EVERY RIGHT to see what they are betting on. If you are obese, smoke, never exercise, and eat like crap with a strong family history of heart attacks, then you deserve to pay a much higher premium than me who runs 6 days a week and eats healthy. No different than if you suck as a driver, you pay more because of your risk to the person that is gonna have to pay the policy.

We ask about seatbelt use because in certain age groups, the causes of death are different. My well-physicals are age-specific. If you are a male in your 20s, I ask about testicular exams, sunscreen, and seatbelt use, as well as the usual smoking, drugs, and ETOH stuff. If you are in your 50s, your prostate takes on more of a focus. These are health matenance issues, not snooping for your insurance company. You can all go ahead and think I am secretly plotting with the GOV against you. Does not bother me. Your paranoia (some of you) is quite entertaining though. Actually, I take that back, a little worrisome at the same time.

Gringo, you really need to find another hobby! Lol.

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not one of the paranoid types that believe that you are out to get us, as my wife is also in your field, as am I indirectly on the business end. When documentation is accessible through the MIB, especially with more current computerized systems, this information can be used by insurance companies to adjust their risk profiles, which is why I was pointing out the fact that despite your intentions being pure, there are other entities whose use of that info is likely not so pure.

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not one of the paranoid types that believe that you are out to get us, as my wife is also in your field, as am I indirectly on the business end. When documentation is accessible through the MIB, especially with more current computerized systems, this information can be used by insurance companies to adjust their risk profiles, which is why I was pointing out the fact that despite your intentions being pure, there are other entities whose use of that info is likely not so pure.

yea, but I still do think that is a little much. Believe me, I trust nobody, especially the GOV. But, our medical records are secure and nobody is getting to them without a release. Now, if it happens by some major conspiracy to snoop into the computer system, well, that would not surprise me. But, I do not think that is the case. You would have to read through millions of pages of dictations.

Just went to the doctor's office today with my daugter and they did not ask the question. At least she seems to have respected my request to prospectively cease asking the question.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this appeared over at Lew Rockwell's blog:
Without a Shot

Excerpt:
On January 16, 2013, President Obama released 23 “Gun Violence Reduction
Executive Actions” of which Action #2, #14, #16, #17, #21, and #22 utilize the
national healthcare system to collect gun ownership information. As Obamacare
grows over the next decade, unwary citizens will voluntarily divulge firearm
ownership information including serial numbers in exchange for routine
healthcare.

What think y'all? Tinfoil hattery?

I wasn't going to revive the thread, but, last week, we got packet in the mail from our current Pediatrician. Apparently, the previous Pediatrician's office sent over copies of all the previous records to the current and the current sent us copies as well. No big deal, right? Well, I went through all of the Dr notes and forms and to my surprise, almost ALL of the forms (besides birth record forms) notes have a section that start with...

Smoking: No Guns: Yes, locked. etc, etc (my wife apparently answered the question early on...)

It appears to be a standardized part of all the forms now, not sure why, but every form has this information on it. I won't start folding my tinhat but I find it peculiar that on notes from a phone from a call we made to the Pediatrician, reporting that our son has a 102 temp is prefaced by GUNS: Yes, locked. I guess I'm just getting paranoid.

I wasn't going to revive the thread, but, last week, we got packet in the mail from our current Pediatrician. Apparently, the previous Pediatrician's office sent over copies of all the previous records to the current and the current sent us copies as well. No big deal, right? Well, I went through all of the Dr notes and forms and to my surprise, almost ALL of the forms (besides birth record forms) notes have a section that start with...

Smoking: No Guns: Yes, locked. etc, etc (my wife apparently answered the question early on...)

It appears to be a standardized part of all the forms now, not sure why, but every form has this information on it. I won't start folding my tinhat but I find it peculiar that on notes from a phone from a call we made to the Pediatrician, reporting that our son has a 102 temp is prefaced by GUNS: Yes, locked. I guess I'm just getting paranoid.

Thats not paranoid at all. This information is completely unnecessary for them to serve your childrens' health care needs.

If they were being rational, they would have a check box for "Pools". Since 10x as many kids die in accidental drownings every year as die in accidental shootings.

Don

Thats not paranoid at all. This information is completely unnecessary for them to serve your childrens' health care needs.

If they were being rational, they would have a check box for "Pools". Since 10x as many kids die in accidental drownings every year as die in accidental shootings.

Don

I'll take a picture of some of the documents tonight, scrub them of PII, and post them here for you all to see...

Back
Top Bottom