Anyone with kids have their Doctor ask if there are guns in the house yet?

I took my 7 year-old for his annual and the nurse asked(with the usual "do you wear your helmet") *him* if he knew if therewere guns in the house and then asked me *in front of him* if I had guns. Myimmediate response was "That is a bloody stupid question to ask in frontof the kid don't you think?" I told her that she had better think abouthow prudent it was to inquire in the range of kids and that I wanted to speakto the doctor and the managing partner. They were "unavailable" so Idemanded they call me.

Call went like this:

Claim: We do this to educate and empower the children. Response: You haveapparently been asking this over a year now (as she claimed) and NEVER have youperformed any "education" about guns. Moreover, what form of expertare you on guns?

Claim: It "empowers kids." Response: What right do you have to"empower" my child? I am the parent and I decide when my son willlearn about firearms and use them (which he started shooting already). What youhave done is decided for me. The response was that the AMA suggests we do thisand that I will continue it. I said wouldn't it be wise, if indeed you aregoing to educate about safety (which you are not) to ask the parent? She said"no."

Claim: Guns kill X many kids a year. Response: Can you sight me the source ofthat study? Do you know how the study defined a "Kid?" Did it include18 year olds? Did it include persons killed in the process of committing afelony? Or killed by police? You really should not quote a study if you do notknow the basis and its facts. She was quiet.

It went on from here. Needless to say, she had complete contempt for parentalchoices and I'll send her a pick of my son on the M1 Carbine.

After all was said, she said that despite my, or any parent's desire to nothave the question asked, she and the practice would continue to ask. So I toldhe that my 5 kids would be leaving the practice soon.

Anyone else deal with this crap? I can only see this getting worse.

I have been asked, and I get mad, I've also posted in the numerous other threads about this we've had before...The General Forum has been pretty full/active lately so it's probably buried somewhere but i think this came up just a couple weeks ago

This is a old topic, I know there are some members that have run into this at there kids doctors, its nothing new just the same ol bs

easier just to tell the doc "yup, and man does he love to shoot em!"...when they give you the look of horror say "oh I know what you're thinking and don't worry, he's not allowed to use anything larger than a 38 until he's 10"

i also replied, none of your business. side note-my doctor asked ME the same question and I told him it was none of his business either..........

I haven't experienced it yet...my girls are only 2 & 3...but it's def on par with the ER question - "Do you feel safe at home?" that gets asked even if you're coming in with a hang-nail (not that I have done that...but I'm sure someone on Masshealth has).

My kid has always declined to answer, and leaves the questionnaire blank. When he was younger, I, or my wife, was always present for any pediatrician visit and would tell them plainly that we would not answer questions which we felt were inappropriate or unrelated to his medical care.

Must be buried in the forums. I guess I'll get it no matter where I go. The arrogance is what set me off the most. Then this stuff goes into a file and where that file goes, nobody knows...

New doc, mouth shut.

My physicians assistant spotted my holster during my physical. Once she figured out what it was I had a barrage of questions regarding if I feel safe, and my mental health quality.

This was all after going over what I needed to go through meds for the local PD.

I jokingly told her to come to the range, and how it relieves stress.

Can just say "We try to maintain a safe household environment, whether that is regard to locking up typical household poisons, covering electrical sockets, gates on stairs, etc. There's just so much stuff in a typical house that can be dangerous if mishandled." Next question.

My kids say "Yes," as do I.

Hell, he's been in the paper for being a good shot, so it's not like it's a secret. Besides, when he wears a NH State Trap Shoot shirt to the doctor, it's kind of a "tell".

The above being said, often with kids, "MYOB" is a good answer, but the medicos will "know" that you really mean "Yes."

This is an old issue but it going to become more pervasive. The antis know that it will be an uphill fight legislatively, so they will turn it into a "public health issue" just like they did with cigarette smoking, a perfectly legal act. It is another way in, and once you convince people it's bad, then the laws will follow. No, tobacco isn't banned, nor will it probably ever totally be banned, but look at all the restrictions.

The anti-2A people are smart, they know that the only way they will win is through hearts and minds and it starts with your children. Stalin, Hitler, Mao all figured that out too.

The medical profession will go right along with it because they have been brainwashed to "do no harm."

are they compiling a list of houses to rob and selling that list to gang members to obtain their illegal arsenals?

you can never be too safe

- - - Updated - - -

are they compiling a list of houses to rob and selling that list to gang members to obtain their illegal arsenals?

you can never be too safe

This is an old issue but it going to become more pervasive. The antis know that it will be an uphill fight legislatively, so they will turn it into a "public health issue" just like they did with cigarette smoking, a perfectly legal act. It is another way in, and once you convince people it's bad, then the laws will follow. No, tobacco isn't banned, nor will it probably ever totally be banned, but look at all the restrictions.

The anti-2A people are smart, they know that the only way they will win is through hearts and minds and it starts with your children. Stalin, Hitler, Mao all figured that out too.

The medical profession will go right along with it because they have been brainwashed to "do no harm."

The cloak is very transparent. It is to make it a "health" issue. Yet they never ask "do you parents beat you" or "does your father drive fast" or "do you have a swimming pool?" This is why this whole "mental health" slope is getting so hard to tread. We are being marginalized quickly. If they do not will on the bans, the next push will be for business' to ban and give those bans the force of "zero tollerance zones" so that you will not be able to carry anywhere. I wonder how long it is before a parent asks me if I have guns before the kid comes over? Seriously, where do people get off?

my wife got asked for the first time a few weeks back...all she said was they'll have to ask me. She said she has no idea what I own. [smile]

I wonder how long it is before a parent asks me if I have guns before the kid comes over? Seriously, where do people get off?

This has already happened to me...when my youngest kid (now 19) was at a friends house, he mentioned I have guns (he thought it was pretty cool and he was just bragging on me). I found out later that when that friend was later invited to my son's 8th birthday party, the mother wouldn't let him come because there were "guns in that house".

Doctors, Schools, School venues...My youngest who is spry like myself always says " its none of your business. My oldest who is gonna graduate this year always said to the Moonbats " whats it to you what I have or keep in my house " ...love my girls.

Last edited:
Well The nurse at my boys doc asks but it don't really matter as the doc carries he also happens to be a shooting buddy of mine. Hell everybody up here has guns most all have more then one. It woudl be far easier to ask who does not have them.

Until they ask about swimming pools, porch railings, seat belts, under-sink poisons, and power tools, they're just pimping the AMA's agenda.

I was asked this years ago by my son's doctor. The only thing he did as a response was to schedule him for a lead levels test to make sure his lead levels were clean since I shoot. Everything came back fine, but there's nothing in my son's medical record regarding the answer.

No, there's nothing illegal about lying to your doctor. Currently at least, the government is actually prohibitted with collecting the data outside of agrigate data collection. Hospitals must summerize the individual data before forwarding it and can't enter the response into your medical record (so they might ask every time you meet with the doctor)

It's not your business is still a valid answer.

my fiance and i both work in healthcare, yet here i am, but i know there are many in the field that dont feel the way i do, easy to educate people tho

Back
Top Bottom