Anyone put ammo through the washing machine?

Yes the washing machine.
2 rounds

I'm wondering if the primer will still go off and whether the powder is dry.

9mm round with a medium crimp on it. Winchester primer.

I'd be tempted to chuck 'em. They may be fine, but you may also end up with a 'squib load' and a bullet stuck in the bore. You could also break them down and salvage the case and bullet, discarding the primer and powder.

If you do decide to fire them as an experiment, keep them separate from your other ammo and single load them in the gun. Also, bring a rod of some type and a hammer with you to the range....[smile]

I and others on here have experimentally tried firing rounds that have soaked in motor oil for several MONTHS, that went off fine. I've put speed strips of carry ammo through the wash accidentally and never had a round that failed to go off, but if it's carry ammo, everyone would be used for such an experiment.

They'll go off. and if you're married, you wife will go off, too... on you.
I can tell you from experience that telling your wife that if she'd just checked your pockets before putting your pants in the washer, that the ammo wouldn't have wound up in there, is not a good strategy.

I put a couple Brenneke slugs and buckshots through the wash and a gas dryer last year.
Nothing went off but they sure were nice and shiny when they came out.
I didnt even try to shoot them .

Mrs. Mongoose doesnt complain about whatever is in my pockets when the wash gets done but she does complain that I always leave my pants with one leg inside out. [thinking]
Her rule is if she finds any money, its hers.

I've not done it, but as tele_mark points out I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe use those rounds for your next training evolution.

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone else find a bit of humor/irony in a user named "underwhere" posting about washing something?

After coming back from the field when I was in the military I sent 2 rnds of 5.56 through the wash AND dryer and neither detonated whatsoever. I wouldn't dream of attempting to fire them. Your just lucky that you found them, and your wife didn't.

Washing them still doesent make the ol'wolf smell any better either,
BTW mine shot fine.

Keri

I can tell you from experience that telling your wife that if she'd just checked your pockets before putting your pants in the washer, that the ammo wouldn't have wound up in there, is not a good strategy.
Yeah... I know.

OTOH, I can conclusively state that TSA isn't too swift on finding loose rounds, either... when I flew to Miami for a cruise two weeks ago, I unknowingly had a loose round of 9mm and a .45 casing in my jacket pocket... fortunately, I'm in the habit of stuffing my jacket into my checked luggage before I check in. I found them in my jacket pocket when unpacking on board the ship.

I decided that rather than hope that Miami TSA was as incompetent as Boston TSA, I'd just toss them overboard... they're somewhere between the USVI and Miami... probably in about 2000' of water.

Since the primers as well as the bullets are essentially an interferance press fit, that makes them gas tight for normal atmospheric pressure. I would not expect water to do a thing to them. The dryer however, is another issue. I have sent handgun ammo through the wash a number of times and fired every round that went through with no problems.

Not with ammo but i've done that [smile] Didn't end well for me.

When I get a chance I will be shooting these :) I'll report back my findings.

Apparently I never reported my findings.

They fired just fine.
On a side note I floated down a river for 4.5 hours with a Glock in my swimsuit, submerged under water most of the time.
Every shot went off just fine.

Yep,
I tried that one once...not a good strategy at all. Unless you like doing laundry of coarse!!

I had two different ammo washing experiences.

One was a 9mm reload. I brought it to the range and it went off like normal.

The other was a Hornady 17 HMR round, like a vmax or something like that. I brought it to the range and no matter how many times I struck it, it refused to go off. I even kept removing the cartridge, rotating it a little, and then seating it again so the pin would hit the rim in a different place. I think I had 6 hash marks on the thing by the time I was done trying. I think the water somehow got into it.

-Mike

I had a few .308 reloads that were in the ashtray during a car fire. The dashboard was pretty well melted and the rounds were intact. Haven't attempted firing them though and I don't know if I could even ID them among the rest of my stash...

Back
Top Bottom