Anyone put ammo through the washing machine?

I've put a lot of ammo through the washer and dryer. No issues, I put a small box next to the dryer so the wife had a place to put the ammo and empty cases

Here's the real problem: HANGFIRE....................

It's a kind of misfire, of which there are THREE TYPES:

1) Dud Misfire - Just nothing happens, EVER

2) Hangfire - The burning inside the case just barely happens, and happens s-l-o-w-l-y.... and then unexpectedly, the gun goes off. This can take several seconds. The danger is that if you just jump into the breech, and open the bolt, and the round fires as the bolt is open..... BAD NEWS...

3) SQUIB - This is when there is either no powder, or too little powder, or damaged powder, which causes the round to fire, but not give the bullet enough power to leave the barrel. Usually accompanied with a lesser "pop" rather than the usual bang. Bullet gets stuck in the barrel.

The NRA recommends that when "nothing" happens, you wait 30 seconds, keeping the gun in a safe direction, and then remove the misfire. That way, if it is indeed a hangfire, instead of a dud, you won't get hurt.

Unless the rounds were some kind of military grade, with sealants on the primer and the bullet, if they have been through the washer, don't use them. Even if you get a squib as a result, it's too much of a pain in the butt to deal with removing the bullet stuck in the barrel. And, if you don't clear a bullet stuck in a barrel, it's a barrel obstruction, and any subsequent rounds down the barrel will damage the gun (and probably you also).

There could be a BIG difference between :

A) Accidentally dropping a round in a puddle, QUICKLY picking it up, wiping it off, and shooting it

B) Having a round SOAK in the washing machine during a 20 minute cycle, and trying to shoot that.

If it's been through the wash, please...... don't bother trying to fire it. If ammo is that precious to you, you need to start reloading!

If an Ipod can survive a washing, I expect ammo to be just fine.
My iPod didn't make it.

Here's the real problem:
There could be a BIG difference between :

A) Accidentally dropping a round in a puddle, QUICKLY picking it up, wiping it off, and shooting it

B) Having a round SOAK in the washing machine during a 20 minute cycle, and trying to shoot that.

If it's been through the wash, please...... don't bother trying to fire it. If ammo is that precious to you, you need to start reloading!

I used my soaked ammo just for a test. All worked fine.
I shot both factory self defense loads (124gr HST) and some of my own reloads.
No issues after soaking in my butt pocket all day in an inner tube floating down a river.
I'm not saying to use it for self defense or in a competition...but they all have still worked fine for me.

I have a collection jar near the washer, mostly 22lr. When its about half full I shoot it.

Hmm....of all the things I've ever put through the wash on accident....I don't think ammo is one of them.

Get it straight -- I didn't put ammo through the wash by accident. It was my wife who did so when she didn't empty my pockets. [wink]

Rule in my house is whoever empties the pockets (usually the clothes washer person always checks) gets to keep the spoils of war (money, etc)..

So, I make it a point to carefully empty pockets before tossing clothes into the hamper.

Get it straight -- I didn't put ammo through the wash by accident. It was my wife who did so when she didn't empty my pockets. [wink]

YOU get it straight. When I say I put something in the wash, I meant I took it off and left it on the floor, and the wife picked it up and washed it.

Back
Top Bottom