Anyone know this thieving scumbag?

If your property is open for use (hunting fishing, hiking, cross country skiing, nature watching, and snow shoeing per NH RSA) with out a fee then you can not be sued for someone's injury. Mass has a very similar law.

This does not apply if the hunter has been hired to perform a service for the landlord. One hunter who got permission to hunt claimed that the hunting was a "service" to the landowner (reducing pesky annimals) and therefore the liability exemption did not apply. I don't think the court bought it.

Wait, wtf?

l5nYIy3.jpg

treebeard-the-ent-e1269783419659.jpeg

You never mess with a tree stand. Just take it down. People die falling out of stands.

This.

It's not worth killing someone over a deer they tried to poach off your land. Just take the stand down. Leaving a note suggesting they pick it up at the police station is funny. (And no, I wouldn't expect you to actually give it to the police.)

My father in law has some land and he read the law but still thinks there is a hole big enough to drive a truck through on the liability part that some lawyer will use.

Ask your FIL to search for case law that will support his case. I don't believe that he will find it.
The statute says plainly that your conduct must be willful, wanton or reckless.

This.

It's not worth killing someone over a deer they tried to poach off your land. Just take the stand down. Leaving a note suggesting they pick it up at the police station is funny. (And no, I wouldn't expect you to actually give it to the police.)

Last time I checked there's not law about spreading dog shit all over somebody else's tree stand.

My son had a tree stand up on land that was not posted. One afternoon when he went out to it a guy had set up his stand about 30' from his stand. The guys looked at him and said "better move on boy (my son is 22), this area is locked up". My son got a little irritated and told the guy he had put his stand up long before the guy had put his up. Still the guy gave him an attitude so my son took his climber off the tree and left.
It just so happens that day I had gotten my own deer and was gutting it out when he came over. He told me he would get rid of the hide and guts for me (I gut my deer at home, not in the woods). Turns out when my son got home that night with my bag of guts and hide, he got on his ATV, drove out to the guys stand, and put the gut pile/hide right under his stand! The guy deserved it. My son had picked out a good spot and this guy muscled into it.

I get what you're saying, but in that case just shoot him. He's trespassing, stealing, AND armed on private property. Wouldn't be hard to prove justification in that situation...

Good thing it wasn't a couple teenage girls on a porch though, need the 5.0 for that! [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom