• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Ultralight .38 snubs out there with an exposed hammer? Traditional DA/SA?

Aside from the Smith 637, which doesn't seem to like our local shops and hasn't been seen for a while.

I like the option to thumb back the hammer for a lighter pull and more precision.

Thanks much,
Pelikan

Love the S&W 360PD - it's my hiking/backpacking gun. Don't like shooting .357 defensive rounds from it, but it's nice to know that it can.

What about the S&W 438 or 638. Both are airweights with a shrouded hammer that you can still cock it if you like. They are also rated for +p ammo.

What about the S&W 438 or 638. Both are airweights with a shrouded hammer that you can still cock it if you like. They are also rated for +p ammo.

I thought the shrouded hammer meant one could not cock it?? I'll have to check them out, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I love my 637...Collectors in Stoneham has one I believe...

Thanks, I'll check...

- - - Updated - - -

Smith 360. Very expensive!

I checked the price...then checked it again, figuring they somehow got the serial number in the wrong place or something...expensive indeed.

I thought the shrouded hammer meant one could not cock it?? I'll have to check them out, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

The tip of the hammer spur protrudes a tiny bit above the shroud. It's not nearly as easy to cock as it would be in a 637, but it's useful for SA work at the range. I wouldn't plan on using it defensively.

the shrouded hammers have an exposed part that allows you to cock it, but is still rounded in profile so it won't snag like a regular hammer.

The one you are thinking about is the "hammerless" versions like the S&W 642. Kind of a misnomer really as there is still a hammer, it's just completely covered up so you can't cock it (or see it).

Getting hard to find these days but if you don't mind used and some good searching the 337PD is the lightest exposed hammer snubbie Smith ever made. 38+p rated.

Thank you all for the 'hammer schooling', I shall stick to the fully exposed one for now.

I shall also keep an eye out for that 337PD, hopefully it isn't priced stratospherically like the 360.. :)

I'll be giving Stoneham a call tomorrow morning, thanks again everyone.

Thank you all for the 'hammer schooling', I shall stick to the fully exposed one for now.

I shall also keep an eye out for that 337PD, hopefully it isn't priced stratospherically like the 360.. :)

I'll be giving Stoneham a call tomorrow morning, thanks again everyone.

I have a 337, LOVE IT! It's not a range gun, the light ones like this have a surprising amount of recoil. But are very easy to carry. I sold a Glock 27 to buy this, no regrets 12 years later....

I have a 337, LOVE IT! It's not a range gun, the light ones like this have a surprising amount of recoil. But are very easy to carry. I sold a Glock 27 to buy this, no regrets 12 years later....

Nice. Same here. Is yours a pre lock? They did actually make a few. I've never seen one in person. Very very rare.

Nice. Same here. Is yours a pre lock? They did actually make a few. I've never seen one in person. Very very rare.

Yes, pre-lock. I forget the year I got it but 1999-2000 comes to mind. The weight sold me. I tried the standard air weight and after handling this I coughed up the extra $100 for this.

I can just carry it in the front pocket of jeans in a cheap UM pocket holster. But mostly its my winter jacket pocket gun.

As much as it's a bad idea, it is also a great gun for "Mexican Carry" here is a bad pic of it.
337.jpg

Yes, pre-lock. I forget the year I got it but 1999-2000 comes to mind. The weight sold me. I tried the standard air weight and after handling this I coughed up the extra $100 for this.

I can just carry it in the front pocket of jeans in a cheap UM pocket holster. But mostly its my winter jacket pocket gun.

As much as it's a bad idea, it is also a great gun for "Mexican Carry" here is a bad pic of it.
View attachment 79811

Ok but isn't that a lock under the cylinder latch?
Also never seen the silver aluminum version but I've read they did make one.

Ok but isn't that a lock under the cylinder latch?
Also never seen the silver aluminum version but I've read they did make one.

Bad angle, no lock... Look on line, I have seen a few when I did a google image search. I actually would have preferred black. Here is another shot.

337-3-1.jpg

Of the light-weight Chief's Special J-frames, the 637 would be the easiest to find. If you aren't seeing them at your local shops, it would be a miracle to find anything else that would fit the bill; 337s are getting pretty rare, and the 360PD will set you back a pretty penny whenever it pops up. Might want to hit up Gunbroker and arrange something with your local FFL.

I have found one 637 'locally' (have to drive through or around Boston to see it) and nothing else.

Will give gunbroker a try too.

I wonder how long before the libtards try to ban these? Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom