• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any "tactical friendly" ranges in Woburn/Reading/North Shore areas

Greetings,

I belong to MRA, and while I like the place, it has a few drawbacks. I would like to find info on other clubs in the Woburn/Reading/North Shore area that allow the following:
1. Drawing from a holster
2. Minimum range of 3 yards
3. 100 yard range with reasonable magazine limit (MRA requires you to load 1 round into rifle).
4. Indor 50 yard range - am I dreaming on thins one?

Thanks,

Andrew.

4. Indor 50 yard range - am I dreaming on thins one?
Yup, you are. I've seen some 50' ranges. The only 50+ yard indoor range that I'm aware of is at S&W Academy, in Springfield. They use it in classes and sometimes in competition, but it is not generally open to the public.

Last edited:
Indoor 50 year range is probably a dream outside of maybe a industry range.

Pelham is probably your best bet for Action Pistol ranges and matches in the area.

I've shot AR15 in an indoor 30yd range in Bellevue, WA, but it was a police range that a group from the old AR15-eList (not forum) made special arrangements to use for one of my Microsoft trips back in 1999. I also believe that AFS is 30 yds, but I don't know of any others in this area.

Hey Andy. I was in the same position as you about a year ago. I chose Harvard. Nowhere has an indoor range like MRAs, and I'm sure I'll miss it if I don't renew the MRA membership. But I can shoot prone .22 rifle in Harvard's indoor range, so that'll have to do. With what happened to the price of .308 I'm gonna be shooting a lot of .22 anyway.

Ditto. I'm former president, secretary and board of director member of Harvard. Let me know if you want to check it out some weekend. Will be there this Saturday with acoustical disturbers in hand. Thanks.

I'll second (third? fourth?) the recommendation for Harvard. GREAT place, lots of friendly people, lots of fun on the Class III range... Mmmmmm... Class III goodness...

What do you mean by MRA requires you to load one round into the rifle ? Do you mean load a mag and one in the chamber ?

Crak,being as I sponsored you(Was it you?),maybe we should actually meet one day at Harvard..LOL

I wonder how many people here go to Harvard that i talk to that are members here..

Bodybags I know,centermass I know...I'm sure I talked to some of you guys at one time or another.

Maybe a Harvard/NES members day one of these weekends.We can be all politically incorrect and stuff.

Last edited:
What do you mean by MRA requires you to load one round into the rifle ? Do you mean load a mag and one in the chamber ?

Crak,being as I sponsored you(Was it you?),maybe we should actually meet one day at Harvard..LOL

I wonder how many people here go to Harvard that i talk to that are members here..

Bodybags I know,centermass I know...I'm sure I talked to some of you guys at one time or another.

Maybe a Harvard/NES members day one of these weekends.We can be all politically incorrect and stuff.

Greg, I'm not a member at Harvard but I've been there a bunch of times... once the kids are older and I've got a little more free time I am definitely going to join, though - it's an EXCELLENT club.

And the Open House ROCKS...

bodybags,

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on this sometime.
Jay G,
On 100 yard range you can literally load only one round into your rifle at a time.
Regardles if it's an AR or bolt.

Andrew.

bodybags,

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on this sometime.
Jay G,
On 100 yard range you can literally load only one round into your rifle at a time.
Regardles if it's an AR or bolt.

Andrew.

Man that completely sucks,someone must have screwed up real bad for the MRA officers to enact that rule.I can't imagine a board of directors enacting something stupid like that without some member screwing up.

Last edited:
And auto-locking doors to the inside ranges, I guess for the ninjas who already got past the lock on the front door. I don't have any insider knowledge, but I think the place is so uptight because a very busy office/retail park grew up around it and they can definitely hear the booms.

Yeah, that was me you sponsored. Let's all hit Harvard this weekend.

Man that completely sucks,someone must have screwed up real bad for the MRA officers to enact that rule.I can't imagine a board of directors enacting something stupid like that without some member screwing up.

I am a little hazy on MRA history but this is what I believe happened.

MRA lost a lot of land due to emminent domain. Route 128 took a lot of that. At one point in time, MRA had a 1000 yard range. [crying]

I am aware of several instances where rounds went off the reservation. At least one local PD was responsible. We went without a 50 yard range for several years.

At one point, a neighbor showed the Woburn PD a handful of spent rounds that "ended up" in her yard "this morning". Woburn PD checked our records and video and found out no one had been shooting outside since the day before.

Take all of the above and I can understand the CYA policy. For what it is worth, members of the Rifle team can load more than one round at a time to practice and members can during supervised clinics, matches etc.

And auto-locking doors to the inside ranges, I guess for the ninjas who already got past the lock on the front door. I don't have any insider knowledge, but I think the place is so uptight because a very busy office/retail park grew up around it and they can definitely hear the booms.

I remember working at this building off Olympia ave some years ago, and I
could hear the shooting at MRA. I used to think it was some kids
perpetually setting off homemade bombs or something but that didnt make
any sense... then I realized that MRA was over there.

Funny thing is that part of town goes to sleep at like 7 pm. The damn
dunkin donuts on washington st also shuts down at like 10.... I've -never-
seen a dunks that closes that early, ever. It's also by far one of the
worst dunks in MA. I got the WORST cup of coffee there EVER.

-Mike

I won't say they are uptight. The new locks are and key fobs are for accountability. By doing it this way, they know who is on the range and when. Yeah, a little Big Brotherish. That is something I don't mind doing in order to be able to shoot any of my guns at any time, day or night. No range officers to wait on. Just me, my leeeetle friends and a lot of ammo.

If you think that your S&W .500s are "leeeetle", I'd hate to see what you consider a BIG firearm.

Hopefully, after the first of the year, the 4" will be "leeeetler". Gonna see if S&W will bob the barrel down to 2 3/4" and machine the cylinder for moonclips.
Then I might try this IDPA thing I keep hearing about!

A Phelps revolver in 45-70!
jpshakehead.gif

Back
Top Bottom