Any recommendations for a fast-action knife?

Looking for a good edc knife, one that does that 'fast opening' deal. A tech I worked with had a nice S&W one, but it had Tactical or Spec Ops or Black Ops or some silliness on the blade, and I would like to avoid that if possible. I always feel like I should be wearing tactical socks or some such when using such obvious 'operator' finery. [smile]

Not looking to be too spendy as it will be my first knife of this type, rather something to see if I want to get more of later.

Thanks all.

Not "fast action" but: spyderco endura with emerson wave...love mine. After looking for a few years, I found a full serrated one. Plain blade version is readily available.
White Feather

If you're looking for something relatively cheap the Kershaw Cryo is a nice assisted opening knife. Has a deep carry clip that can be setup for tip up or down.

If you are set on a spring assist, I concur with all those who are saying a Kershaw. I have and like the Leek, but they make a few good 'speed safe' folders. I personally prefer non-spring assist folders, but that is just preference. There isn't anything wrong with them.

Sog flashback, doesn't get much faster. I had to do a little work on it when I got it to lighten up the pressure needed to spring it and to yank the safety, but it's relatively cheap, takes a beating and is fast as hell.

and yes, I recognize the whole sog stigma thing, don't care, awesome knife, low $

Oh, and I can open and close it in a single (right) hand, that was very important to me. Harder to do in left hand though, blade unlock is only on one side. So it may be no good for a lefty. That's just to close it though, you can open it either hand, no problem.

Last edited:
Another vote for Kershaw. If you want larger than the Scallion/Leek/Onion series, check out the G10 handled "Piston".

Sog Vulcan tanto. Flip the wrist and it's open, not assisted. Sharpened it to katana level, and it's just sweet looking.

I like the Kershaw AO knives. I've owned a few of them, my favorite are the leeks.

This! I have a few different models, but the Leek is by far my favorite for EDC because it is super thin, and very fast to deploy. I have models with serrations, but for EDC I prefer a smooth edge to make it fast and easy to resharpen.

Back
Top Bottom