• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any interest in Winter Pin Shoots?

Would you shoot pins in Central MA in the Winter?

• Total voters
I was talking to someone at the club Monday, and we agreed that we don't know of any pin shoots going on right now. It seems most places roll up the carpet in October/November for some reason. There are NO places doing pin shoots now through May.

I wonder if people would be interested in doing these over the Winter. If just ONE club were to do these, I bet there would be enough interest around the area to draw enough people to have a good competition.

Would YOU be willing to come to a once a month pin shoot over the Winter? On how much notice? (Key, because weather can change quickly)

Millis Fin Fur and Feather does one every 3rd Thursday of the month from 8pm-10pm. It's a great time. 8 pins on each side with a candle pin in the middle. 8 rounds in a mag to force a reload and it's head to head from holster on the buzzer. 5 bucks total for the night and you shoot for the entire 2 hours.

I shot a pin competition last Sunday and froze my nuts off. It sucked. I have never seen so many gun malfunctions. However, if it is closer to the western part of central MA I would be interested

I have been wanting to do one for months now, but between work and family events I have not been able to make one. The winter quiets down with all that stuff so I might actually be able to shoot!

Yeah, there seems to be a dearth in shooting fun in the Winter, and for good reason. I was thinking this might be a good opportunity if one place does it, to be a catch-all for those wanting something even despite the cold.

I would do a pin shoot as long as I can see the pins (IE; not snowing so bad there's no visibility). It would be preferable to have a covered firing line but not necessary; I've got some stainless steel guns.

I would love to see some winter pin shoots. Def at worc pistol and surrounding clubs

I have pins if anyone wants to get together to shoot. just need saw horses and some plywood

i haven't been told i CAN'T run shoots at my club--i just don't want to. after doing it all year it is nice to get a little break. i'd planned on running one in november, but it interefered with the club turkey shoot and as that was a whole-club thing i was in the minority there.

we're back in april or may, i'm yelling, my girlfriend is writing. if there were shoots in the mean time around central MA and you have a place to get warm i might do a shoot or two. i'm running seriously low on .45 and people have been snapping up everything along with prices rising. rage!

Depends on whether we make you shoot the pins at 100 yards or not. [smile]

Being serious, though, you don't want to use 5.56 or .223 - it just zips right through the pins and doesn't knock 'em over.

Full tilt .44 mag will launch them right off the table nicely [smile]

Full tilt .44 mag will launch them right off the table nicely [smile]
You've never shot pins with me, have you? I like to use my 629.

so will a .500 S&W. however if you're blowing my new pins apart with single shots i tend to not be happy with you.
Marc doesn't tend to be too happy when I do so, however. Marc, you'll be happy to know I'm gearing up to start loading a "mild" .44 Mag load. If you can apply the word "mild" to .44 Magnum, that is. Otasan mentions some lighter loads in his book on pinshooting, IIRC... if I can ever get my copy back from Luv2bfree. [laugh]

I voted no, only because it would be an hour plus drive to get there for me up in the Hampton NH area. If I could track one down within say ~40 minutes id be interested.

Too ****ing cold, unless you have an indoor facility. I can withstand about ONE cold match a year.

Atilla is right about the ammo too, the tinfoiler retard factor is in full effect. I don't have that problem because I reload, but the average smoe who cruises by dicks or walmart the day before might be SOL.

Outdoor winter pin shoot for me = no way... on the other hand, I could probably be conned into something when March comes around.

Another SERIOUS problem is when pins are cold and dry, they like to just explode. So you will go through pins at twice the rate, easily, unless someone stores them in a warm basement and trucks them over the morning of the shoot. I remember one of the early spring shoots at Winchendon pins were exploding all day. It was kinda hilarious but not so good for the club. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom