any good books?

Hello. I am very new to firearms, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few good books. I am a big geek when it comes to reading about things I am interested in. Any and all topics would be helpful. One of the many things I need help with is the dominant eye thing. I am left eye dominant and right handed, and a crappy shot as well. I just purchased my first gun. A sig 226. I put just shy of 200 rounds through it today, and still can not decide whether or not to shoot righty, lefty, right eye, left eye, no eyes, no hands, no feet, ect.

Thanks

Hello. I am very new to firearms, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few good books. I am a big geek when it comes to reading about things I am interested in. Any and all topics would be helpful. One of the many things I need help with is the dominant eye thing. I am left eye dominant and right handed, and a crappy shot as well. I just purchased my first gun. A sig 226. I put just shy of 200 rounds through it today, and still can not decide whether or not to shoot righty, lefty, right eye, left eye, no eyes, no hands, no feet, ect.

Thanks

[rofl] Grab a pen and some coffee![laugh] Start withe the owners manual. (sorry, thats the best I could come up with[sad])

Boston T. Party's "Gun Bible" is an encylopedia of gun knowledge. Not so much a "how to shoot good" resource, but good bedtime reading on a variety of gun-related topics, and as good a place to start as any.

Just picked up Armed Response the other day by Dave Kenick...(sp).... very well worth the price... goood information on the dynamics behind a shoot, no shoot. The legalities and all ... goood read to go with the gravest extreme and any of Ayoobs other books

Depends on what kind of shooting you want to do. Many professional shooters are cross dominant and do fine. On the other hand if you just wanted to shoot bullseye you may want to consider shooting lefty.

Here are some of the BEST books for action shooting. Fundamentals are the fundamentals but action shooting adds another dynamic to it.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/books.html

I hightly recommend the Brian Enos book and Saul Kirsch's "Thinking Practical Shooting"- both are books you can read and read if you're into that stuff.

Matter of fact I believe the Brian Enos was moderately cross dominant.

Just picked up Armed Response the other day by Dave Kenick...(sp).... very well worth the price... goood information on the dynamics behind a shoot, no shoot. The legalities and all ... goood read to go with the gravest extreme and any of Ayoobs other books

David is a member on the board here, you can find a link to his site, I think, in his member page. A great read and a good guy. I brought mine to jury duty last year and got through the whole book that day (got some horrified looks too).

Two books I can recomend- To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth by Jeff Cooper and Unintended Consequences by John Ross

Competitive Shooting by A.A. Yur' Yev is a classic. Probably the best book of shooting technique available. Translated from Russian. It reads like a medical text book. It might be out of print, but it's worth finding.

Second Amendment Primer by Les Adams.

Pistol Shooters Treasury by Gil Hebbard.

Shooting from within by J. Michael Plaxco.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom