Answering Door While Open Carrying

Just moved to NH. Carbon monoxide alarms went off in the house. FD came out as well as the one officer on duty to make sure the issue was gone before my mother in law took the kids back inside (I was at work) and the cop saw my safe in the basement. He said "guns?" MIL replied "yep, ex military" and the cop said "glad he's in town, makes my job easier" and they all went on their way. I love my new home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't necessarily consider that a good thing.

I've talked to the guy since then. Really cool, offered to show me the places around town that I can shoot at that are owned by the town. I was a bit confused why the PD had someone come out to check a carbon monoxide alarm but then I found out that our town only has 1 cop on duty at a time. So I assume it was the most exciting thing of the month and the guy just wanted to get out of the office. No harm no foul, not looking to raise the rebel flag over it.

I've talked to the guy since then. Really cool, offered to show me the places around town that I can shoot at that are owned by the town. I was a bit confused why the PD had someone come out to check a carbon monoxide alarm but then I found out that our town only has 1 cop on duty at a time. So I assume it was the most exciting thing of the month and the guy just wanted to get out of the office. No harm no foul, not looking to raise the rebel flag over it.

Not every LEO is a JBT or looking to jack you up. Some are damn fine folks. Small town PDs tend to have more "customer" oriented cops than big cities.

In suburban MA it is very common for LE to respond along with Fire/EMS to every call, no matter what the reason.

Not every LEO is a JBT or looking to jack you up. Some are damn fine folks. Small town PDs tend to have more "customer" oriented cops than big cities.

In suburban MA it is very common for LE to respond along with Fire/EMS to every call, no matter what the reason.
I respectfully disagree. The "us versus them" attitude has saturated the police community from the biggest cities to the smallest towns at this point. Small town cops are no better than big town cops WTR wanting to jam people up. If anything, they are less likely to give someone a pass on a victimless crime because they have less to occupy their time and, frankly, need the excitement.

I respectfully disagree. The "us versus them" attitude has saturated the police community from the biggest cities to the smallest towns at this point. Small town cops are no better than big town cops WTR wanting to jam people up. If anything, they are less likely to give someone a pass on a victimless crime because they have less to occupy their time and, frankly, need the excitement.

You keep believing that!

I'll contend that in a small town "where everyone knows your name" cops are less likely to unnecessarily jack up citizens vs. big cities where nobody knows the cop because there are 400-20000 of them "and they all look alike", so they figure that they can get away with stuff without being caught.

You keep believing that!

I'll contend that in a small town "where everyone knows your name" cops are less likely to unnecessarily jack up citizens vs. big cities where nobody knows the cop because there are 400-20000 of them "and they all look alike", so they figure that they can get away with stuff without being caught.
And you're welcome to keep believing that small town cops are heroes nobly and selflessly serving the public out of the goodness of their hearts.

Cops exist as revenue sources everywhere. Period.

And you're welcome to keep believing that small town cops are heroes nobly and selflessly serving the public out of the goodness of their hearts.

You're the expert!

I only worked for a small PD for 17 years, so what do I know!

Unfortunately for your argument, my small town police department is really relaxed and more willing to help than any other PD I've come across. Very willing to assist with CCW questions and even laughed when I asked what the open carry laws were and said "live free or die man, you're not in the communist republic anymore. You can walk right in our office with a AR on your back and we'll probably ask to see it so we can compare optics."

I live in a small town. I hired the CoP and half of the 8 officers. They ARE community oriented and if they are not the BoS will come down on them ultimately resulting in termination (failure to renew contract for CoP, failure to reappoint for any officer).

The police in my town do not have ticket books. The BoS has never taken the necessary legal step to allow for ticketing. Parking illegally gets you a call at home from the dispatcher asking if everything is all right and asking you if you can move the car. Out of towners just get towed. ZERO revenue for the town in either case.

You can be cynical, but you are way off base for the majority of towns in this state. Small towns are very different from 10,000+ population towns/cities

Worked for small PD for 17 years and thinks small PD's are the greatest thing ever....hmmmm.

Never said that. Just putting it in perspective. I know many of the officers in my town even though I haven't worked for the PD for years now, I listen to the scanner all the time I'm in my office to hear what's happening.

I worked with other officers from other jurisdictions at BC football games. Had one discussion with a young Boston PO where I gave him an earful for his bragging about what he had done to someone who spit in his face (literally). I've been linked with LE only forums/Email lists since the early 1980s, many national in membership.

Not every PD is great, not every PO is great . . . but just like gun owners . . . painting everyone in a blue suit (or scrubby looking detectives) with the same paintbrush isn't accurate the same as everyone on here aren't druggies and gang-bangers.

everyone on here aren't druggies and gang-bangers.

DAMNIT! I have to find a new forum now. I was just here for the street cred.

I still don't feel that my experiences with cops as a whole and the experiences of other trusted people have been anything like yours and I would suggest that your experiences are drastically different than the average persons, coming from the other side, as it were. We can agree to disagree to disagree, however.

DAMNIT! I have to find a new forum now. I was just here for the street cred.

I still don't feel that my experiences with cops as a whole and the experiences of other trusted people have been anything like yours and I would suggest that your experiences are drastically different than the average persons, coming from the other side, as it were. We can agree to disagree to disagree, however.

I do want to make it clear that I believe you wrt your experiences. It is the "broad brush" that we disagree about.

When I worked for the PD, there were 2 officers that I wouldn't trust at any time, period (both now retired). Today there is one who gets off on writing everyone and everything, more complaints from citizens about his aggressive manner than all other officers combined (but nothing illegal). He even barked at me when I tried to get across the street to help him when the kickstand gave way and the police motorcycle was about to fall on his leg! He's one you just throw raw hamburger at his feet (kind of like distracting a hungry lion) and then get out of there before he comes after you.

Big mistake. That's like catnip!

Not true. They skip my house now. I can see them hitting the house around me as I get all gitty when I see them. I creamed one trainee so badly once on authority and tradition that the handler had to break it up and purport that they were "late for dinner." Now my fun is gone.

P.S. it seems like most of these times I always had a bag of chips in my hand too for some reason...

I think it is pretty safe to say I am one of the more critical people on this forum of cops. I'm also aware that not every cop is a corrupt ******* hellbent on ****ing with people. I got to agree with LenS. Though not exclusively, not even close, and despite the perception you may get from the numerous and onerous examples of cops being corrupt *******s, there do exist examples of people who happen to be cops being, you know, nice. And when talking about small towns with very few cops, far removed from large population centers, they are less likely to be corrupted as easily. Or more likely if they enter a town with already corrupt cops.

Point being, it isn't beneficial to make blanket characterizations of every cop ever, though that doesn't mean you shouldn't be skeptical. I'd be just as skeptical of the small town cop as a city cop. Difference? As LenS points out, in a small town you are more likely to end up on on a personal level in that small community. And you may find that he/she really does look out for the community as opposed to being the strong arm of an oppressive government. You may find out the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom