• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another reason why I hate microsoft

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
I decided I wanted a way to choose a printer that would send the output to a pdf without having to specify a filename. In a former job, I set up netcat (nc) to monitor a port, set that port up as a TCP/IP printer, and do whatever I wanted with the output. So I wrote a simple script:

:loop
ncat -vvv -l 8080>outfile.tmp
del outfile.pcl
ren outfile.tmp outfile.pcl
copy outfile.pcl c:\data\dropbox\pdffiles\%date:~10,4%%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,5%.pdf
goto :loop

It was working fine when I left on Friday. Unfortunately, microsoft decided sometime Friday night that ncat.exe was a virus and deleted it. I had gone through a bunch of hoops telling it not to delete it, but microsoft knows better.

So my system spent the weekend creating 400,000 zero byte files in my dropbox folder and shared them with all of my other machines.

</rant>

That's unfortunate, but Netcat has been considered a malicious application by MS "Security Essentials" for quite some time, at least since least 2007.

Is it possible there was an exclusion in place that was somehow removed?

At least you're not dealing with Adobe and those f***ing extortionists. I hope they die in a fire.

ETA: The only thing I still hate worse than Adobe is GoldMine. I'm pretty scarred from that horseshit... [laugh]

-Mike

At least you're not dealing with Adobe and those f***ing extortionists. I hope they die in a fire.

ETA: The only thing I still hate worse than Adobe is GoldMine. I'm pretty scarred from that horseshit... [laugh]

-Mike

Literally had my guys rebuild one of those 2011 giant all-in-one macs from scratch on a new SSD so the company we support wouldn't get adobe'd on having to go subscription on thousands in their software.

TO quote the mighty drgrant:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z7SafOiCXM

Right you are. I wanted to redact some info out of a PDF and hit the redact button. Right to a $14 per year subscription. f*** Adobe. Maybe if it was cheap, like $2.00, it might be worth it.

-Mike

I'm still shocked that in 2019, their charting in Excel is still as bad as it was in 1995. 25 years later, let's have half of hte text outside (and now hidden) the box. Let's not center things. Let's just make S-word up. 25 years. I hate it. I keep Numbers on my Mac to do quick-and-dirty charts b/c it's 100x faster and won't wig out on me.

I have one PC in my whole inventory, home and work. It's to run Quickbooks. It's a pile of crap. MS updates up the ying-yang. IT's always trying to do something. Or worse, reminding me that I could sign up for MS Office. Thanks, D-bag. I'll pass.

The only thing modern PC's have going for them is we've finally seen the end (for now) of that awful third-party bloatware that used to come on them.

That's unfortunate, but Netcat has been considered a malicious application by MS "Security Essentials" for quite some time, at least since least 2007.

Is it possible there was an exclusion in place that was somehow removed?
When I downloaded it, MS yelled and said it was malicious. I told MS to ignore. When I executed it, MS yelled and said it was malicious. I told MS to ignore it. Apparently, MS decided to kick off a scan Friday, found it and quarantined it. By the time I found it and told MS to ignore, the script I wrote that was expecting it to be there looped 400,000 times, and created 400,000 empty (zero byte) files.

I changed the script to check for the existence of ncat.exe

I'm still shocked that in 2019, their charting in Excel is still as bad as it was in 1995. 25 years later, let's have half of hte text outside (and now hidden) the box. Let's not center things. Let's just make S-word up. 25 years. I hate it. I keep Numbers on my Mac to do quick-and-dirty charts b/c it's 100x faster and won't wig out on me.

I have one PC in my whole inventory, home and work. It's to run Quickbooks. It's a pile of crap. MS updates up the ying-yang. IT's always trying to do something. Or worse, reminding me that I could sign up for MS Office. Thanks, D-bag. I'll pass.

The only thing modern PC's have going for them is we've finally seen the end (for now) of that awful third-party bloatware that used to come on them.
I miss format c:/q/u/s

You think that's bad...... man I have some stories about MS rape jobs I could tell... Try replicating Office files using DFS... A couple of days later you'll realize DFS deleted all your files and your employees are crying about lost work... That was a bug in Server 2003 R2 that they reintroduced in Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012R2, 2016, and yes, even 2019...

WTF...

If the worst you have is not getting a pdf printer to work, I wish I had your problems... How about O365 MS Teams/Skype going down almost weekly for 2 months straight. How about hosted SharePoint taking a shit and bringing down our entire intranet for half a day, along with OneDrive, and all of our document sharing and libraries. Or we can talk about the major Azure outage a couple of weeks ago that brought down our hosted SQL DBs and applications.
LEt's talk about how the Win10 1809 update broke MS's own browser (edge) and the MS Store and all the MS Store apps... Took them months to fix it. Now, how the f_ck did that make it past QA? Seriously, you broke your own damn browser and store and that just happens to slip through QA..... WTF.

PDF printer not working.... pfft.... and you think you have problems with MS.... (I'm writing this post on a Linux Mint laptop).

Let's not even talk about the cluster f*** that is System Center Configuration Manager. Or the cluster f*** that is MS Azure Backup Server...

Last edited:
There is some malware (EternalBlue) that is currently infecting the city of Baltimore. It was invented by the NSA. An NSA contractor took it home to do some work and his Kaspersky antivirus quarantined it. Kaspersky is a Russian company and somehow this thing got into the hands of some spies and eventually the world.

Rather than help Microsoft to find these exploits they would rather use them as weapons. These same people think tech companies should build back doors into encryption!

When I downloaded it, MS yelled and said it was malicious. I told MS to ignore. When I executed it, MS yelled and said it was malicious. I told MS to ignore it. Apparently, MS decided to kick off a scan Friday, found it and quarantined it. By the time I found it and told MS to ignore, the script I wrote that was expecting it to be there looped 400,000 times, and created 400,000 empty (zero byte) files.

I changed the script to check for the existence of ncat.exe

You're lucky the 400K+ files weren't written to the root of the drive ;)

LEt's talk about how the Win10 1809 update broke MS's own browser (edge) and the MS Store and all the MS Store apps... Took them months to fix it. Now, how the f_ck did that make it past QA? Seriously, you broke your own damn browser and store and that just happens to slip through QA..... WTF.

not even M$ developers use Edge [rofl]

All I had was Robbie the Robot (actually Da Vinci surgical robot) crawling around in my ass for 4 hours last week. The hemorrhoids are down from basketball to golf ball size. And I thought I had it bad.

You think that's bad...... man I have some stories about MS rape jobs I could tell... Try replicating Office files using DFS... A couple of days later you'll realize DFS deleted all your files and your employees are crying about lost work... That was a bug in Server 2003 R2 that they reintroduced in Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012R2, 2016, and yes, even 2019...

WTF...

If the worst you have is not getting a pdf printer to work, I wish I had your problems... How about O365 MS Teams/Skype going down almost weekly for 2 months straight. How about hosted SharePoint taking a shit and bringing down our entire intranet for half a day, along with OneDrive, and all of our document sharing and libraries. Or we can talk about the major Azure outage a couple of weeks ago that brought down our hosted SQL DBs and applications.

PDF printer not working.... pfft.... and you think you have problems with MS.... (I'm writing this post on a Linux Mint laptop).

Let's not even talk about the cluster f*** that is System Center Configuration Manager. Or the cluster f*** that is MS Azure Backup Server...

MS definitely has had some problems, and what we see now is nothing compared to the early days, but you really do seem to have more than your share of problems. When were these O365/teams/skype outages, I haven't seen anything significant in the last year (wasn't watching as closely before that). I prefer Teams was out all the time.

MS definitely has had some problems, and what we see now is nothing compared to the early days, but you really do seem to have more than your share of problems. When were these O365/teams/skype outages, I haven't seen anything significant in the last year (wasn't watching as closely before that). I prefer Teams was out all the time.

Pretty much from March to May Teams (and to some extent Skype) had an outage literally every week. The main problem was that web meetings would abruptly end and could not be rejoined. But we had a lot of problems with the POTS dial-in numbers as well. They just didn't work, we got a message about the meeting not being valid, all circuits were busy, etc... The last 3 or 4 weeks it seems to have gotten better - finally. I agree Teams does suck compared to Skype. But MS is forcing everyone's hand.

Another complaint I have about O365 - when there is an outage - their damn health monitor never shows it. When SharePoint was down, the health status page of the portal said everything was peachy. It almost never reported any of the issues we were having with Teams. It's borderline worthless to check at this point. When we have an issue I just open a ticket without even checking it now. That's how useless it is.

Their QA sucks. And I mean it's really bad right now. I've been in I.T. since Windows 2000 and I can not recall a time quality has been so poor. How the f_ck do you re-introduce a bug in DFS-R in literally every server OS release since it's inception. And I mean it's not like it deletes some uncommon file type here, we're talking about Office files. Probably the most common file types on MS file servers... Seriously, WTF.... Let me say on that too - I'm smart enough and have enough experience with DFS-R to know you don't want office files modified on more than one server. I set the DFS pointers to resolve the share path to a single server. But nope - my server 2019 file server still felt like moving the office files to the conflictAndDeleted folder and removing them from the share...

When you manage an environment as large as mine, I'm sure you're going to see more than the average number of issues. But man - MS - your shit is pretty damn bad right now. Meanwhile I have CentOS servers that have been running 24/7/365 and don't even need to reboot for updates. A process that takes maybe 10 minutes... Let's talk about updating Server 2016/19....

The thing is I see potential in some of their products too. Then they f-ck them up. Windows 7 was probably the best desktop OS ever built. The interface was the most efficient design for the most common human interface (keyboard and mouse). So what do they do - they have to throw a grenade in it and totally eff it up with Win8. Because you know - everything has to be touch first in their design now... Including their server GUI... LOL Who the eff uses a touch interface with their server? WTF were you thinking? Oh but you know - you can do server core and just forget about the GUI... Yea that's great.... and if PowerShell were half as developed as BASH that may be an option. Tell me MS - how do you do even basic system monitoring in PowerShell from a remote session.. In Linux I can run TOP in an SSH session. What does PowerShell have? Wait - you mean I have a CLI only interface on an MS server and I can't even remotely monitor basic system use? WTF... Oh and thanks for continuously changing the PowerShell framework on us too. That's great. We go from PowerShell 1 this week to 3 next week 5 the week after. Those upgrades were great - they added cool cmdlets and a lot of functionality. But then we go to "core" and lose functionality in that "upgrade". But hey - at least I can run PowerShell on my Linux boxes now... Yea I'm lining up to do that...

Their QA sucks. And I mean it's really bad right now. I've been in I.T. since Windows 2000 and I can not recall a time quality has been so poor.

It's been that way forever. M$ has always been big on, get a solution into customers' hands ASAP - even if it's wrong (broken, ...) cuz you can always (sell them a) patch later.

Thing is, they've made craptons of money many times over doing this. And inspired countless industry followers to do likewise: Google's products are no prize, witness all the times portable device mandatory updates f*** up the devices, or even the fact that functionality of said devices tends to fail very ungracefully in not-too-uncommon boundary conditions.

Windows 7 was probably the best desktop OS ever built. The interface was the most efficient design for the most common human interface (keyboard and mouse). So what do they do - they have to throw a grenade in it and totally eff it up with Win8. Because you know - everything has to be touch first in their design now... Including their server GUI... LOL Who the eff uses a touch interface with their server? WTF were you thinking?

Agree!

For a Windows desktop o/s, I consider Windows 7 Pro 64bit to be rock-solid. Hell, even WinXP Pro 64bit was just as solid. Especially after it is/was hardened, but as soon as the MS monkeys introduced Windows 8, then followed it up with Windows 10, the shite has hit the fan.

For myself o three occasions I've upgraded my Win7 desktop to Win10 never liking the resultant UI and every time after giving it a try for a week or two, I downgraded back to Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 and have no intention of moving off Windows 7 come 2020.

Probably because nobody actually uses any of that shit.... [rofl]

-Mike

For myself o three occasions I've upgraded my Win7 desktop to Win10 never liking the resultant UI and every time after giving it a try for a week or two, I downgraded back to Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 and have no intention of moving off Windows 7 come 2020.

Just use ClassicShell or something like that, and about 10 minutes worth of basic UI hacks, and now you have a modern OS that looks mostly like 7.

Also, over the top upgrades are terrible, I only do that as a matter of last resort or some case where someone is backed into a corner.

-Mike

I always enjoy it when organizations tell me that their standard browser is IE 7 and ask why my web site doesn't work with their browser. When I tell them to download a real browser for free, like Chrome or Firefox, they say that their IT department forbids it. I refrain from responding, because at that point all I can say is "sucks to be you."

Back
Top Bottom