Another MA Escapee

Someone has to move down south to warn them that the NY virus is spreading before it's too late ;)

Atlanta proper is like every major city. It doesn't accurately reflect the region it's in. They be liberal without anyone "moving" there from up north.

I'm just saying that Georgia as a state, is huge compared to Massachusetts. I don't know where you lived in Georgia. I've been down here a couple of years now, and there's a ton of this state I haven't seen yet. I have a sense of Atlanta as being Boston-like, New York-like.

I was all set to prove you wrong about the relative size of MA vs GA, but quickly discovered you are correct. MA: 7,800 sq mi. GA: 57,900 sq mi.

I didn’t realize GA is bigger than NY and IL. Still too damn hot and humid, though. [laugh]

How’s the Augusta area???might be there in a couple years.

I spent a year down there, but it was in 1985, so it has likely changed. I wasn’t all that impressed. The area was pretty for about a month in the spring (when the Masters golf tournament is held), but not so much the rest of the year. Ridiculously hot and humid in the summer. Lots of creepy crawlies.

Once you get out of town, there isn’t any zoning so you might find a nicely tended 4 bedroom brick ranch house right next to a tar paper shack. Lots of poverty and property crime.

You either like the southern culture or you don’t. I don’t much care for it.

Last edited:
As someone else said, bring only what you really need. Take the opportunity to divest yourself of stuff you haven't used in the last two years. If you haven't used it, you don't need it.

One good thing about moving several times in our military career was that it forced us (or at least gave us a great opportunity) to get rid of stuff periodically. Amazing how much stuff we gave away or threw away EVERY SINGLE TIME. Stuff we didn't even remember that we had. And this was usually after only a few years.

Had a roommate once who moved himself from NY to California in his Honda Civic. He had a stereo, his record collection, a set of steak knives and his clothes/uniforms. That was pretty much it. He hasn't changed much since. Same guy took a trip with us to Alaska this summer. He didn't bring a jacket; he wanted to travel light. Our first stop when we got there was the Salvation Army, where he bought a used jacket for a couple bucks and then donated it back to the same place when we left. [laugh]

Atlanta proper is like every major city. It doesn't accurately reflect the region it's in. They be liberal without anyone "moving" there from up north.

I think that's correct. I live OUTSIDE of Savannah. It's a beautiful city, at least the old portions of it. But it's rabidly Democrat, and I avoid the modern portions of it like the plague.
I was all set to prove you wrong about the relative size of MA vs GA, but quickly discovered you are correct. MA: 7,800 sq mi. GA: 57,900 sq mi.

I didn’t realize GA is bigger than NY and IL. Still too damn hot and humid, though. [laugh]

My wife loves summer, the cold is rough on her. I like spring and fall, I tolerate summer and I hate the winter. Right now, in the beginning of February, I'm wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. I went riding last night after work. I'll check the weather forecast before I go to my match tomorrow to decide if I'm wearing jeans or shorts. In another couple of months, it'll be perfect for my wife - and too hot for me. As you said "too damn hot and humid" - at which point I'll pack my truck, load my bike on the trailer and go live in CT for a while. I'll stay up there long enough to enjoy the foliage, and a few campfires at night and leave when it starts to get too cold for me.

Now if I could just get rid of the gdmn sand gnats here...

Yes. I saw that.

I'm just saying that Georgia as a state, is huge compared to Massachusetts. I don't know where you lived in Georgia. I've been down here a couple of years now, and there's a ton of this state I haven't seen yet. I have a sense of Atlanta as being Boston-like, New York-like,

Lol. Everything’s relative. I grew up in California and spent awhile in Wyoming. Georgia isn’t big, either.

I spent a year down there, but it was in 1985, so it has likely changed. I wasn’t all that impressed. The area was pretty for about a month in the spring (when the Masters golf tournament is held), but not so much the rest of the year. Ridiculously hot and humid in the winter. Lots of creepy crawlies.

Once you get out of town, there isn’t any zoning so you might find a nicely tended 4 bedroom brick ranch house right next to a tar paper shack. Lots of poverty and property crime.

You either like the southern culture or you don’t. I don’t much care for it.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom