• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another MA Escapee

Well guys, this is it, I got a job down in Atlanta and I'm moving out early next month.
It'll definitely be a trying experience but I'll do my damnedest to make it work. If anyone has any advice for someone making a solo move for the first time, please do tell.

I'll miss the Monadnock shoots and all of the friends I've made here both on NES, and at competitions. However, I'll still be on the forum, you don't need to be in MA to bitch about MA gun laws. I guess this really isn't goodby but I wish you all well.

P.S. shameless plug on who wants to buy all my pre-Healy Colt Nat'l Match , pre-ban AR mags, and ammo?

Advice for a first solo move? Only move what is absolutely irreplaceable. Sell or toss everything else. The fact is, most people only have junk possessions that really are not worth moving. Buy new stuff down there; if cost is an issue, just buy replacement stuff off craigslist down there.

Thanks for the well wishes.

As for traffic, I keep hearing this, and I've been in it myself. But I just can't see how its any worse than Boston traffic.

I was working at an office 4.7 miles from Atlanta Airport.

Left at 4pm for a 7:30 flight.

I got to the airport at 8:45.

Day went downhill from there.

Yikes....well with my new commute I'll either have to ask my new boss if I can be an early bird to try and miss most of it. EDIT also apparently they've been adding highways to alleviate traffic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes.

As for traffic, I keep hearing this, and I've been in it myself. But I just can't see how its any worse than Boston traffic.

Ha.

You will. Oh, you will.

Enjoy the move. Georgia was far from my favorite state to live in, but hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Ha.

You will. Oh, you will.

Enjoy the move. Georgia was far from my favorite state to live in, but hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Really depends where you live. Georgia is a very large state compared to Massachusetts. I love living down here compared to living in Connecticut.

Well guys, this is it, I got a job down in Atlanta and I'm moving out early next month.
It'll definitely be a trying experience but I'll do my damnedest to make it work. If anyone has any advice for someone making a solo move for the first time, please do tell.

I'll miss the Monadnock shoots and all of the friends I've made here both on NES, and at competitions. However, I'll still be on the forum, you don't need to be in MA to bitch about MA gun laws. I guess this really isn't goodby but I wish you all well.

P.S. shameless plug on who wants to buy all my pre-Healy Colt Nat'l Match , pre-ban AR mags, and ammo?

As someone else said, bring only what you really need. Take the opportunity to divest yourself of stuff you haven't used in the last two years. If you haven't used it, you don't need it.

As for guns - you're in for a shock. There's no registration, there are no limits, other than your wallet and NFA. Bring down whatever you want, and that's the end of it. Read up on FOPA for transporting your firearms. Georgia allows you to possesses in your home and in your car without any permit. You need a weapons permit for carrying otherwise, and it's an open carry state. Oh yeah, switch-blades are legal here too.

And you've got a small problem. It looks like Georgia doesn't recognize Massachusetts permits - Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity | Georgia Department of Public Safety - I'd double check that if I were you.

If that's correct, you can't carry on your Mass LTC when you get here. The GA DMV has good directions about how to convert your out of state license to an in-state license. Do that, then apply for a Georgia weapons permit. It will probably take longer to get the driver's license than the weapons permit because Georgia is doing the Real ID now.

I don't know Atlanta, I'm further down, and on the coast outside of Savannah. I do know that there are clubs in your area, but I'm not familiar with them. Too far to drive, South Carolina's closer for me.

As someone else said, bring only what you really need. Take the opportunity to divest yourself of stuff you haven't used in the last two years. If you haven't used it, you don't need it.

As for guns - you're in for a shock. There's no registration, there are no limits, other than your wallet and NFA. Bring down whatever you want, and that's the end of it. Read up on FOPA for transporting your firearms. Georgia allows you to possesses in your home and in your car without any permit. You need a weapons permit for carrying otherwise, and it's an open carry state. Oh yeah, switch-blades are legal here too.

And you've got a small problem. It looks like Georgia doesn't recognize Massachusetts permits - Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity | Georgia Department of Public Safety - I'd double check that if I were you.

If that's correct, you can't carry on your Mass LTC when you get here. The GA DMV has good directions about how to convert your out of state license to an in-state license. Do that, then apply for a Georgia weapons permit. It will probably take longer to get the driver's license than the weapons permit because Georgia is doing the Real ID now.

I don't know Atlanta, I'm further down, and on the coast outside of Savannah. I do know that there are clubs in your area, but I'm not familiar with them. Too far to drive, South Carolina's closer for me.

I have to say while guns weren't the main reason I'm moving (the "free" MBA is), I'm giddy as a schoolboy to have $10 PMAGS and finally unite with a free-state rifle (LMT LM8 here I come), not to mention CZ's (If I get that MBA CZ TSO here I come).

I do have an NH non-res permit which I was told is good in GA (which will be replaces by a GA once I get a lease signed). As for transport my plan is to fly down (with guns) and then buy a car there since I don't have one (I have the friends down in ATL to make this possible). Anything that needs to come with can be shipped one way or another, my biggest worry is my PC.

As for club's I'll be fine as lone as one has a steel pit for my pistols, theres gotta be one close to ATL.

Thank you for the advice, and I gotta ask one last thing. One of the Pin Range guys from Danvers F&G moved down to GA, that happen to be you?

Go to the Buckhead area for fun bars and nightlife. Tell the chicks you wash windows thirty stories up on that highrise over yonder, hanging from a thin cable. Be amazed at the reception.

Definitely sell any pre-Healeyban ARs before you go. I sold an NES lower, lpk, and A2 buttstock to a friend so it would remain in the state. He was grateful as he had only recently gotten his LTC and ARs were hard to come buy.

Stay away from that Abrams lady. She scares me. Looks like a transitioning George Foreman. No offense to Mr. Foreman. Good luck to you, and whatever you do, don't tell them you're a yankee!

Go to the Buckhead area for fun bars and nightlife. Tell the chicks you wash windows thirty stories up on that highrise over yonder, hanging from a thin cable. Be amazed at the reception.

Definitely sell any pre-Healeyban ARs before you go. I sold an NES lower, lpk, and A2 buttstock to a friend so it would remain in the state. He was grateful as he had only recently gotten his LTC and ARs were hard to come buy.

I'm hopefully going to woo them southern girls with my Boston accent lol. In seriousness I hear Buckhead is great, I hope to check out the bar scene in a city with actual happy hour.

As for the pre-healy AR I'll put it up on the classifieds this weekend, as well as my ammo/mags. I promise to all NES'ers all proceeds will be spent irresponsibly on fancy guns.

And you still made your flight? I can’t remember a time that I have flown through ATL and actually left on-time

And you still made your flight? I can’t remember a time that I have flown through ATL and actually left on-time

No. Was re-routed through Chicago, which ended up being rerouted through Indianapolis as Chicago had weather, then spending the night at the airport, then flying back to Atlanta to fly to Boston.

He’s moving to the Atlanta area.
Yes. I saw that.

I'm just saying that Georgia as a state, is huge compared to Massachusetts. I don't know where you lived in Georgia. I've been down here a couple of years now, and there's a ton of this state I haven't seen yet. I have a sense of Atlanta as being Boston-like, New York-like,
I have to say while guns weren't the main reason I'm moving (the "free" MBA is), I'm giddy as a schoolboy to have $10 PMAGS and finally unite with a free-state rifle (LMT LM8 here I come), not to mention CZ's (If I get that MBA CZ TSO here I come).

I do have an NH non-res permit which I was told is good in GA (which will be replaces by a GA once I get a lease signed). As for transport my plan is to fly down (with guns) and then buy a car there since I don't have one (I have the friends down in ATL to make this possible). Anything that needs to come with can be shipped one way or another, my biggest worry is my PC.

As for club's I'll be fine as lone as one has a steel pit for my pistols, theres gotta be one close to ATL.

Thank you for the advice, and I gotta ask one last thing. One of the Pin Range guys from Danvers F&G moved down to GA, that happen to be you?

That's not me, I'm from Connecticut. You can use Practiscore to get a nice listing of clubs near you.

Got some in-laws that live outside of Atlanta in the Lawernceville/ Loganville/ Dacula area.
They do say the traffic is horrible, but horrible compared to what? Rush hour 128? 24?

They also tell me Atlanta is getting more and more liberal, but I can't confirm.
Got about 4 more years till I get 20 n the pension, and the goal is to move to Northern Georgia.Been looking at properties and its amazing what you can get down there compared to up here.

Congrats man! My company is HQ'd down there and my Aunt and Uncle have lived outside of Atlanta for most of my life. The only thing I can say is "Boo got shot!" and traffic is just as miserable down there as it is up here. Avoid the city at rush hour.

As for moving, when I moved out here it wasn't that bad. Not sure how much stuff you've got to transport, but I rented a UHaul, convinced my brother to drive it out with me, and bribed friends and family with pizza to help pack it up. Granted I didn't have a lot of stuff to move. I think having a second driver to switch off with was the biggest help. Plan your route and take into consideration when you might have to go through big cities so as to avoid traffic.

Now, I'd probably hire movers because that shit sucks. See if your new job will help cover the cost of moving expenses. Many do (or used to), but if they don't then save all your receipts. You can write that off on your taxes next year.

Back
Top Bottom