• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

And the sky did not fall (saw OCing in Boston)

the sheeple will assume the OC'er is an LEO.

if that guy got off his bike, took off his helmet and showed the sheeple his dark skin or tattoos, then yes the sheeple will call 911 and scream.

I've only ever seen 3 people OC in Boston, and they were all pretty obviously security guards for someone or another. If you dress like it, people won't be alarmed.

I make little to no effort to conceal anymore.

Mike
Me also, After all the years I've carried I don't worry the small stuff like will this or that tee shirt be long enough or how I print. I don't look for problems and have never been called out by anyone. Don't mistake this for being careless, there are times when, what do they say, discretion is the better part of valor.

My question is why would you want to open carry? You lose the element of surprise and may actually present yourself as a target.
Equally important, some people will feel threatened if you have a gun, particularly in a low-grade confrontation that does not go beyond the verbal. If someone feels threatened, it is not much of a stretch for them to interpret as "am threatened", report it as such, and start off a chain of events that will be more hassle than you need. The chances of any of this happening if your gun remains hidden are vastly reduced.

To Rob and Blitz.

Lets not confuse "why would you want to" with "should you be able to".

I carry concealed. But in CT, I don't have to worry about any consequences if I accidentally reveal my gun. I just got back from 9 days in CT and I carried exclusively OWB. It is much more comfortable than IWB. I mostly carried my G19 in a Safariland GLS.

So the fact that OC is not a problem in CT means that I can carry a larger, better gun than I normally carry in MA and I'm able to carry it more comfortably.

To me thats the biggest advantage.

With all that said, I will occasionally OC at political events. But to me, its more trouble than its worth simply because I wear all my shirts other than dress shirts untucked. So the simplest, easiest way for me to carry is with a paddle OWB retention holster with my untucked shirt over it.

With respect to deterrence vs making yourself a target. I think both sides have valid points. Some people may be deterred from doing bad things because of the presence of an openly carried firearm. Other (badder) felons may choose to engage the guy with the gun using surprise in the hope of getting the gun. It probably cuts both ways.

With respect to OCing long guns. I think it makes you look like a tool if you aren't on your way to go hunting. Much of the long gun OC is really disturbing to me. If you are going to carry a long gun, it should be slung over your back. I see these bozos carrying their AR at low ready around ChiChi's and to me it looks like brandishing. Its really no different than walking around with a pistol at low ready and expecting people to be ok with it. If you are going to OC a long gun, sling it and put it behind you. But you still look like a tool. Although the tool doctrine has a big carve out for political rallys.

With respect to OCing long guns. I think it makes you look like a tool if you aren't on your way to go hunting. Much of the long gun OC is really disturbing to me. If you are going to carry a long gun, it should be slung over your back.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with, pardner ;-)

21winc650.5.jpg

annex-wayne-john-hondo_01.jpg

figure13.jpg

john_wayne-e1407528141152.jpg

HondoWalk400.jpg

My cousin's uncle has opened carried for as long as I can remember. I'm talking 25+ years. I think he's a contractor or something along those lines. I never thought anything of it. He always had it and that was it. No one on my side of the family said anything about it either. My uncle passed a couple weeks ago and he came to pay his respects and there it was out in the open. Again still not a problem. I can't really say what he carries, I don't want to cause any unwanted attention to him by staring or asking about it, but it's definitely not a small revolver.

I see these bozos carrying their AR at low ready around ChiChi's and to me it looks like brandishing. Its really no different than walking around with a pistol at low ready and expecting people to be ok with it.

Excellent point. Well said.

Many years ago I was in a big box computer store in Framingham. There was a normally dressed guy in a black polo shirt, with the shirt covering the grip of a gun carried OWB, but the holster clearly visible. No badge or other indication he was a LEO.

What amazed me more than anything was that nobody seemed to have noticed. He just walked around without attracting anybody's attention.
It's all about the looks. People are that stupid.

I did open carry an SKS in the Lowell state park a couple of years ago (if that counts [laugh]). Two people gave me crap because they thought I was hunting, and 3 people asked me if I killed anything.

Last edited:
its all about presentation. after church i was oc my gen 4 34 here in ammon. had a guy ask me how many drugs i just finished seizing. but even with my boots, jeans, tshirt on i don't get odd stares

I see these bozos carrying their AR at low ready around ChiChi's and to me it looks like brandishing.
ChiChi's probably would be thrilled just to have patrons, though, while Chipotle gets so busy it is likely they don't have room for rifles.

This just happened, this past Saturday at the (packed!) St. Anthony's festival in Boston North End:
Wife's friend brings hubby along... Hubby is a biker, a great guy, "Gentle Giant" type.. Been shooting with him a few times. Just a genuinely good guy. We were all standing outside one of the private clubs on Hanover St. listening to the music (and checking out the racks).. He was wearing his biker "colors" - an awesome looking vest etc..
Yuppies next to him admired his "uniform", one guy asked if he could take pictures. "Sure" says GentleGiant. Then they notice his T-shirt, huge eagle with the US and Italian flags intertwined in it's talons (custom made - I WANT ONE!).. So he obliges and removes his vest to let them better see and photograph the shirt.
Vest comes off. He has his Sig on his side, in an IWB holster. Priceless look of sheer fright on almost every yuppie face. They are CLEARLY in full moonbat panic, you almost had to wonder if someone had spilled soda on the ground under them as they wet themselves in fear. The looks went from admiration and "Wow, cool!!!" to "Yuck! Ew!! He has a g-g-GUN!" in literally the blink of an eye.

So I'm not sure any sky fell, but it certainly did on the yups who quickly turned and walked away. Very quickly.

This just happened, this past Saturday at the (packed!) St. Anthony's festival in Boston North End:
Wife's friend brings hubby along... Hubby is a biker, a great guy, "Gentle Giant" type.. Been shooting with him a few times. Just a genuinely good guy. We were all standing outside one of the private clubs on Hanover St. listening to the music (and checking out the racks).. He was wearing his biker "colors" - an awesome looking vest etc..
Yuppies next to him admired his "uniform", one guy asked if he could take pictures. "Sure" says GentleGiant. Then they notice his T-shirt, huge eagle with the US and Italian flags intertwined in it's talons (custom made - I WANT ONE!).. So he obliges and removes his vest to let them better see and photograph the shirt.
Vest comes off. He has his Sig on his side, in an IWB holster. Priceless look of sheer fright on almost every yuppie face. They are CLEARLY in full moonbat panic, you almost had to wonder if someone had spilled soda on the ground under them as they wet themselves in fear. The looks went from admiration and "Wow, cool!!!" to "Yuck! Ew!! He has a g-g-GUN!" in literally the blink of an eye.

So I'm not sure any sky fell, but it certainly did on the yups who quickly turned and walked away. Very quickly.

Next time get video for our amusement.

Yuppies next to him admired his "uniform", one guy asked if he could take pictures. "Sure" says GentleGiant. Then they notice his T-shirt, huge eagle with the US and Italian flags intertwined in it's talons (custom made - I WANT ONE!).. So he obliges and removes his vest to let them better see and photograph the shirt. .

I'm in for 10 of those shirts if you can get any. That sounds awesome.

More evidence that there is a moonbat problem, and not a gun problem. I'd love to get this on tape, as evidence of the ills of moonbattery. They were FINE when the gun was there.....inches away from them.....but when they didn't know about it. The moment they become aware of it, a "moonbat meltdown/shutdown/derp/scary gun!/does not compute/not a cop why does he have a gun?/no need for guns in a modern democracy/no need for guns at all/think of the children" seizure violently takes over their minds and bodies. The gun was there the whole time. The disturbance......a disturbance of the peace.....happened when the moonbat was put face to holster (see what I did there?) with his PHOBIA. His hoplo phobia.

We need moonbat control. Not gun control.

Back
Top Bottom