Ammo disposal

I did some searching and couldn’t find anything regarding this.

I have a few hundred rounds of Aquila .22LR that I need to dispose of. It sat at my mothers house for 18 years and 1 in 3 fail to fire with multiple restrikes. I had a brick of CCI and Remington Thunderbolt in the same safe and they seem fine. The Aquila is the only one giving me troubles and at this point I just want to dump it.

How do I go about dumping it? Regular trash? I couldn’t find any media prohibiting doing just that, but I thought I’d ask for opinions anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Is it failing in a semi or a bolt action? Could donate to a range that hosts Boy Scouts, just let them know you had issues.

Take a pair of pliers and grip the bullet itself. You can pinch the brass with your other hand and wiggle it off. Do it over a cup of water to kill the powder that falls out (there isn’t much in a .22). Throw the brass in the bin at your range next time you go if they have one. If it makes you feel better soak it first before you toss it because theoretically the primer compound in the rim is still viable, but I don’t bother. The OP specifically mentioned.22lr. This process does not necessarily apply to other cartridges.

Take a pair of pliers and grip the bullet itself. You can pinch the brass with your other hand and wiggle it off. Do it over a cup of water to kill the powder that falls out (there isn’t much in a .22). Throw the brass in the bin at your range next time you go if they have one. If it makes you feel better soak it first before you toss it because theoretically the primer compound in the rim is still viable, but I don’t bother. The OP specifically mentioned.22lr. This process does not necessarily apply to other cartridges.

i was curious with a couple of duds, so decided to cut an empty brass case with tin snips to get a good look at the primer coating. bang!!! scared the piss out of me--not really, but i was surprised the primer blew

Just spit my beer out reading the responses. This has been equally informative, funny, and terrifying. The NES trifecta I suppose.

The range I frequent has a dud can, I guess I can just fill er up. Unless of course someone wants it. Just PM me. I’m around Dedham, Westwood, Boston southwestern. 350 +/- rounds OLD semi-functional Aguila supermax .22LR. FREE! Off Sundays and Wednesdays.

This has been interesting.

Edit- Am not currently member of an actual range with clubhouse, I merely frequent MFS and don’t think it would have the same effect leaving it there with a sign stating old ammo, otherwise, that would be my first choice.

Last edited:
Is it failing in a semi or a bolt action? Could donate to a range that hosts Boy Scouts, just let them know you had issues.

Failing in both. I have an old Mossberg bolt(my first gun) and the ever prevelant 10/22. It just seems to not have faired as well as the others. It was in a Sentey fireproof safe. There’s some fouling on the brass but nothing crazy.

I say 1 in 3 but it might not even be that often. It’s just that with the other 1000 rounds working just fine, it’s hard to power through the wait, recock or reload and try to fire again.

Do you have a semi auto pistol that is anywhere similar to your carry gun? Good for malfunction drills. I have a few 1911 magazines that I got for $5 and they suck. Great practice to clear jams.

Do you have a semi auto pistol that is anywhere similar to your carry gun? Good for malfunction drills. I have a few 1911 magazines that I got for $5 and they suck. Great practice to clear jams.

That’s brilliant. I don’t currently have that option but wouldn’t mind adding a P22 to the safe. My only fear wth that would be a hang fire. It hasn’t happened with any of the duds this far, yet.

When I was a kid, circa 1978 or so, my twin brother took a hammer and a box of 22 into the middle of the street, sat down, and proceeded to hit the rounds with a hammer.
He only got hit a couple of times....

When I was a kid, circa 1978 or so, my twin brother took a hammer and a box of 22 into the middle of the street, sat down, and proceeded to hit the rounds with a hammer.
He only got hit a couple of times....
200.gif

Back
Top Bottom