AK47's - Who makes the best one and why?

These days with the price of a parts kit, the work involved, and the possibility of ****ing something up by accident its not even worth kit building because there are so many options for AKs out there if you look long enough.

this is the sad truth. you don't build from a kit to save money or to do things your way anymore, you build from a kit in today's market because you really, really want to build from a kit.

that said if i had the cash i'd buy another kit. even now.

this is the sad truth. you don't build from a kit to save money or to do things your way anymore, you build from a kit in today's market because you really, really want to build from a kit.

that said if i had the cash i'd buy another kit. even now.

I saved building from a kit on my psl granted It took a year plus and its a odd ball. But including the mags , scope, and all the other stuff I saved around 500$ building it my self . Including the tools I still saved money for what there going for.
Few of the builds I helped with they saved cash too.
Granted some parts kits it be cheaper to just buy a gun if you can borrow tools. But there are some deals to be had if you look around .

I saved building from a kit on my psl granted It took a year plus and its a odd ball. But including the mags , scope, and all the other stuff I saved around 500$ building it my self .

Times have definitely changed. My Romak cost me $525 already built and shipped from Romania.

noob question of the day...do these drums work on all AK's?

Century International Arms AK-47 Romanian 75 Round Drum Magazine 7.62x39mm Steel Black Finish MAAK78

I'm looking at buying an AK.. doing my research still. Really like the Arsenal but not so much the price but I definately want a quality piece not a junker. I'll have many more questions I'm sure the more I read.

Century International Arms AK-47 Romanian 75 Round Drum Magazine 7.62x39mm Steel Black Finish MAAK78

I'm looking at buying an AK.. doing my research still. Really like the Arsenal but not so much the price but I definately want a quality piece not a junker. I'll have many more questions I'm sure the more I read.

As long as you don't get a single stack gun they'll work .
I'm not up on my ak drum mags but I know some you want to avoid .

Love my Arsenal Sam7r. It is definitely a high quality rifle. Almost too nice to be an AK.

Love my Arsenal Sam7r. It is definitely a high quality rifle. Almost too nice to be an AK.

where did you purchase it? anyone actually stock these here in Ma? I really would like a preban but don't know my ass from my elbow with all the various models/years etc. I do know that there is plenty of junk out there and I don't want to spend 5-800 on something like that.

where did you purchase it? anyone actually stock these here in Ma? I really would like a preban but don't know my ass from my elbow with all the various models/years etc. I do know that there is plenty of junk out there and I don't want to spend 5-800 on something like that.

You won't find a preban any where near that price range.

Thought some from china that are preban are around 6-700? Thought queen bee and a few others got them on gun broker the last few months from free states at those prices .
Then again when I see thumb hole stocks on non 54r I throw up alittle

I would be surprised. When I lived in MA, and before I stopped caring, I looked at preban AK's and was outraged at the prices they were carrying.

I would be surprised. When I lived in MA, and before I stopped caring, I looked at preban AK's and was outraged at the prices they were carrying.

gepate6a.jpg

It's awesome what you can do when you just dgaf lol.

Never said that...

Im not willing to spend 5-800 on one of these post ban junkers that are so common and I'm not interested in a WASR either.

I don't mind putting the cash down on a quality AK.. thus why I'm trying to ask my questions get educated.

If I bought an Arsenal could I legally use a drum or 30rd clips? obviously that would just be for the range but this was the reason I was looking at preban in the first place.

Never said that...

Im not willing to spend 5-800 on one of these post ban junkers that are so common and I'm not interested in a WASR either.

I don't mind putting the cash down on a quality AK.. thus why I'm trying to ask my questions get educated.

If I bought an Arsenal could I legally use a drum or 30rd clips? obviously that would just be for the range but this was the reason I was looking at preban in the first place.

Wasr not junk if you look at it in person . . Some have canted sights.
Heck my buddy Loki never cleans his and it runs like a champ .

Never said that...

Gotcha.

If you care, as long as the mags are preban you can do what ever you want with them. I have been thinking about grabbing a Zastava M70 because they show up sub $600 bucks. I have read they are decent rifles.

Wasr not junk if you look at it in person . . Some have canted sights.
Heck my buddy Loki never cleans his and it runs like a champ .

not calling the WASR junk just saying I'm not interested in them for the very reason you stated. Don't want to buy something that will need repair but might not be able to be repaired. I want it to go bang and be reliable out the box and just not have that loose junky feel to it like alot of these el cheapo surplus builds that flood the market.

not calling the WASR junk just saying I'm not interested in them for the very reason you stated. Don't want to buy something that will need repair but might not be able to be repaired. I want it to go bang and be reliable out the box and just not have that loose junky feel to it like alot of these el cheapo surplus builds that flood the market.

Theres only one or two company's who make Ak's from new parts in the states and they don't have the best track record .

Most are made from surplus parts kits that a company buys .
Some are made from never used parts that are ok but not fully to spec like the psl's you could buy a few years ago.

Granted there's are a few that are new parts made over seas saiga verp ect. But the non sporter ones you need to be careful who converted them..

There's nothing wrong with a WASR. Get one with straight sights and it'll be a reliable weapon. That's the beauty of the platform. Loose tolerances, simple design. The thing goes bang.

Gotcha.

If you care, as long as the mags are preban you can do what ever you want with them. I have been thinking about grabbing a Zastava M70 because they show up sub $600 bucks. I have read they are decent rifles.
I have an 0 Pap and it's clean as heck, and shoots even better. Have to get used to the stock though. Little diff than others.

I don't like that stock using the irons, but if you mount up a scope it is a better setup, better cheek weld.

I'll second Dark Horse on the vepr, in my experience it was the most accurate hands down, although some people bitched about the weight compared to a regular ak but the veprs are fantastic rifles with amazing accuracy for an ak

Never said that...

heres to the two who said they could never find an excellent pre 94 ban ak ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=416476794

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=420570589

both of these are gorgeous , all you have to do is 922 compliance work on them.. all norinco ak's are pre 94 ban because of the import ban of all Chinese firearms in early 94'. so that 400 mak 90 , go out spend 100-200 dollars and there you go... though most mak 90's have the muzzle turned down.

the reason i singled out these two for a person to buy is because that long peice of pipe on the barrel when you start re-fanging the ak, you just cut the two welds and there are pristine standard ak threads under there.. ive got one and the action is super smooth. and plan on putting an fsc 47 break on it.

I'm still leaning very heavily toward putting down the money on an Arsenal build.. haven't seen anything negative about their rifles to this point and paying for the quality and reliability makes sense to me versus buying something cheaper and having to just spend money on it anyway(let alone find a place to trust to do the work).

anyone using the TAPCO polymer 30rd magazines? How are they for the money? I just ordered my SAM7 and will pick it up next weekend and need to pick up mags and ammo in the meantime.

I have had trouble getting them to seat. I gave up on them in favor of the steel mags. It's not like they're in short supply.

how about the ProMags? I'm just thinking polymer to save some weight since the SAM is already heavier than a standard AK.

Back
Top Bottom