AK47's - Who makes the best one and why?

Tantals are nice. Finding an original barrel is going to be tough though. And there have been scattered reports that some US made tantal barrels are out of spec. This is only internet observations that I have made, no personal experience.

Tantals are nice. Finding an original barrel is going to be tough though. And there have been scattered reports that some US made tantal barrels are out of spec. This is only internet observations that I have made, no personal experience.

Do you think it's be a waste tho of money tho. Since it be semi only? Just thinking out loud I could save some cash and problems building a normal 74...

Last edited:
Do you think it's be a waste tho of money tho. Since it be semi only? Just thinking out loud I could save some cash and problems building a normal 74...

Uhh. Most AKs are "semi only" that you build anyways unless you are rocking a manufacturer's license.

CAI used to sell a Tantal. I don't know what you are asking here I guess.

Uhh. Most AKs are "semi only" that you build anyways unless you are rocking a manufacturer's license.

CAI used to sell a Tantal. I don't know what you are asking here I guess.

More or less thinking out loud .
I know any thing ill build will be semi only.
Just figured the cool factor of a tantal Is the burst fire switch. And like you said, and I have read barrels can be hit or miss.
Kinda thinking building one is like having the fake full auto safety on a ar15 omg I can move it to the full auto spot but it still shoots semi.

On one hand
Figure if I already owned a 47 and a 74 a tantal would be cool for the collection.
On the Other hand build a odd ball first.

Are preban Ak receivers/or complete rifles gonna break the bank?
Within the next 6 months I'd like a side or under folder (because aesthetically i think they are sex) unless of course they cost waaaaaaaay too much then I'll settle for a regular stock.
The kits I've seen with quick searches come with US made receivers.
Is this because a specific portion of the rifle must be domestic and the receiver is an easy way to do that? (guessing)

and I'm all for wood furniture. No polymer or rails, that's what my AR is for [smile]

I saw links in the other thread for O paps for sub $600 I believe, that may be the best option. though something old may have more character.............................

Are preban Ak receivers/or complete rifles gonna break the bank?
Within the next 6 months I'd like a side or under folder (because aesthetically i think they are sex) unless of course they cost waaaaaaaay too much then I'll settle for a regular stock.
The kits I've seen with quick searches come with US made receivers.
Is this because a specific portion of the rifle must be domestic and the receiver is an easy way to do that? (guessing)

The only way you're going to run a side folder/underfolder in AK without running a-foul of MA state laws is through a pre-ban rifle. End of story.

The new manufactured underfolders/sidefolders that have US made receivers are rifles built from parts kits in the USA. Several places sell them and several different places make them (stores contract out orders, etc... especially if they're sitting on a bunch of parts kits- they send them to a builder and have them make them into rifles. Atlantic Firearms does this)

It has nothing to do with US part count. If you import a receiver from foreign lands, it's a different import process than just importing parts.

and I'm all for wood furniture. No polymer or rails, that's what my AR is for [smile]

I saw links in the other thread for O paps for sub $600 I believe, that may be the best option. though something old may have more character.............................

"something old" can mean a few things:

a preban rifle

or

a US built rifle from an "old" parts kit.

If a preban rifle has "character"... it came from the jackass who bought it new in the US of A.

Parts kits that look old, and have character, can be "left alone" on a build, and then the builder can "match" the new parts and their finish to the "old" character of the old rifle..... some examples:

"Old" parts kit (1958 IIRC) Izhevsk Type 3 AK47 Israeli PLO capture parts kit... "put" on a "new US made receiver" (re-welded bits of Izzy T3 AK47 receiver bits).... the "new" receiver was finished to match the rest of the parts.. now it looks old
IMAG1948.jpg

"Old" parts kit (1986) Romanian Cugir AKM m86 "Romanian Guard" parts kit put on a Nodak receiver. Receiver "finished" to look like old parts kit. You know why the stock doesn't match the grip? Because it's off of another kit.... this is a side folder (model 1986), and I still have the original stock for it in the event I leave MA.

IMG_1011.jpg

Last edited:
Gotcha, that makes sense.
Well now I'll keep an eye out for a parts kit or rifle I like, I appreciate the info.

AMD-65's are pretty bad-ass. You tried Ray's so you already know that they're ugly, loud as hell, and flashy on the firing line. Not very practical in any means beyond taking AK mags and folding up nice and tight, but they are incredibly fun to shoot.

Now- for your questions I have to ask you:

Can you build an AK? Do you have the means to do this?

If so- buy a kit and build. Kits are not available at ak-builder and the like, but you can find them in classified sections on the ak files or the ak forum.

Receivers: check nodak, or order a custom through 74ullc.

If not- buy a rifle. But you might have to wait for this. The typical carriers are OOS, and then you'd have to get it shipped to a FFL that would be willing to Massify it for you.

The thing about the store-bought AMD-65's is that they're made on Hungarian receivers that have been modified to accept double stack mags. Early on these conversions sucked. Now they are looking great. Ray's gun is a good conversion, and it's cool because it's a hungarian parts kit on a hungarian receiver. My AMD-65 is a very, very used hungarian parts kit on a Nodak receiver.

The ****er is all over the place at 100 yards. I can barely keep it on a 11x8.5" sheet of paper. Conscript Yuri must have used my rifle in it's previous life for genocide or dicking off while spraying the sky- it's seen some usage.

AMD65.jpg

bumping for JCV. I also want an under/side folder. AMD are cheap but I was lost until this thread in terms of a good receiver and shitty builds etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Dual build party for AMD-65s? If we **** up we can just call Ben. [laugh]

A friend is looking into purchasing a Rifle Dynamics 700 Series AK.
This is the first I've heard of this AK.
They cost upwards of $2k! Maybe that's why there isn't much/any info on them on here.
I would rather buy 3 "ok" ak's at that price point because I know they'd be sufficient enough for me.
Anyone here have any experience with them? I'm just curious for myself to hear some experience/opinions about them.

jeez.... is that 2K ak plated in gold? is a pre ban with full auto sear??

my pre AWB norinco only cost 800 and im sure it will shoot just as well as that rifle dynamics iron sight vs iron sight.

It's all branding and marketing. The guys at RD managed to use social media to make a name for themselves in the industry. They made a few guns for big name personalities like Travis Haley, and all of a sudden they make the best $500 gutter guns on earth. They likely spend a bit of time going over the final finish, and make it look better then the AK I just built in my garage, but ultimately it functions the same. Personally, I would rather buy 2 M70's and 3 cases of ammo for what these guys charge, but I don't really get sold on flashy ads and industry collaborations anymore.

Like ed said. After you smash together a few Ak's and under stand them seeing a price like that blows your mind.

Granted if your building a ak and don't know people with tools could cost you up to 1k for the kit and tools.
The amd I helped build cost him 400$ and change on a 80%

Talk to al . It was a 80% pre bent 40$. So add the difference for 100%

If you get a 100% we could assemble it in a hour or so.

That with going from my dads to my place after I press the barrel out .

Talk to al . It was a 80% pre bent 40$. So add the difference for 100%

If you get a 100% we could assemble it in a hour or so.

That with going from my dads to my place after I press the barrel out .

You and Al have a group message

I have a Zastava o-Pap M70 and looking for another AK but need guidance. I'm all about value and don't want to spend more than 1100ish. Something better than a WASR and all stock. something in the middle..
What do you think?

Last edited:
A friend is looking into purchasing a Rifle Dynamics 700 Series AK.
This is the first I've heard of this AK.
They cost upwards of $2k! Maybe that's why there isn't much/any info on them on here.
I would rather buy 3 "ok" ak's at that price point because I know they'd be sufficient enough for me.
Anyone here have any experience with them? I'm just curious for myself to hear some experience/opinions about them.

their prices are marked up beyond irritating. basic ak building class is almost 2 grand too. they advertising a tuned action - which I'm guessing is just polished in the typical spots. 2 grand for an AK is wacko unless they guarantee 1moa, though I don't know what kind of barrels they use. looks like some bolt-on parts with a nice paint job and jim fuller's name tossed around.

I have a Zastava o-Pap M70 and looking for another AK but need guidance. I'm all about value and don't want to spend more than 800ish. Something better than a WASR and all stock. something in the middle..
What do you think?

Buy a kit from ak builder.
Make friends with people like me that have tools to build.
I've helped a bunch of people build Ak's for free. Lent tools out pressed barrels out etc .I haven't even gotten a beer from those *******s lol .

Buy a kit from ak builder. Make friends with people like me that have tools to build. I've helped a bunch of people build Ak's for free. Lent tools out pressed barrels out etc .I haven't even gotten a beer from those *******s lol .

I will take your generous offering. At least I send a 6 or 12 packs with the kit. [wink]

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

These days with the price of a parts kit, the work involved, and the possibility of ****ing something up by accident its not even worth kit building because there are so many options for AKs out there if you look long enough.

Back
Top Bottom