AK-47 pre or post ban

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I have a WASR10 AK-47 that I got at Zero Hour before they went out of business. They claimed it was pre-ban, but now knowing their reputation and no longer believing in Santa I wanted to try to find out what it might be.

On the side the serial number is 1963BDxxxx I have heard that is not the DOM

below that it says WASR and 10/63

The importer was CAI and is so marked on the right side but no dates there or anywhere else that I could find.

And is it DOM or date of Import?

2-23%20AK47%20Wasr_zpsea9zewce.jpg

From Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASR-series_rifles#WASR-10_and_variants

WASR-10 and variants

Century Arms WASR-10 with "single stack" magazine
The WASR-10 is a post-ban version of the AKM rifle in 7.62×39mm caliber. Factory-original rifles only support single-stack, low-capacity magazines (10-rounds), but are frequently modified by Century Arms to accept double-stack, standard-capacity magazines (thirty rounds or more). Pistol grip and thumbhole stocks are both commonly found.

I have a WASR10 AK-47 that I got at Zero Hour before they went out of business. They claimed it was pre-ban, but now knowing their reputation and no longer believing in Santa I wanted to try to find out what it might be.

On the side the serial number is 1963BDxxxx I have heard that is not the DOM

below that it says WASR and 10/63

The importer was CAI and is so marked on the right side but no dates there or anywhere else that I could find.

And is it DOM or date of Import?

2-23%20AK47%20Wasr_zpsea9zewce.jpg

Date of manufacture.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of people just think the date on the trunnion is the manufacture date for civilian use.

That is the question how do I determine the date of manufacture?

I shelled out $400 for it, but the kids really wanted one and it runs great and have a tiny little bit of ammo for it.

That is the question how do I determine the date of manufacture?

I shelled out $400 for it, but the kids really wanted one and it runs great and have a tiny little bit of ammo for it.

You got a "preban" rifle off that cheap Fu(k for anything under 2 k. Bravo sir you must've had your Jedi mind powers on that day. 400 is a pretty good price on a wasr.

of course being anal I would like to be sure it is pre-ban. The "compensator" half cut thingy on the front is a screw on and not tacked that I can tell.

I will try to post more pictures of it tomorrow, right now watching the convention.

I was hoping that one of my 10 semi's would be pre-ban but no such luck.

The only one that might have been pre 94 was an old Ruger 10-22, but I sold that years ago. My Luger's, P-38 and one of my 1911's is preban.

when it comes to AKs, there's two meanings to "pre-ban". The common meaning in the AK world is pre-1989 import ban, the meaning we in MA attribute is pre-1994 AWB.

For instance, Norinco MAK90s are preban to us in MA but are post-ban to the AK world. The 90 is short for 1990 but they stopped when the 1994 ban started so they are pre-ban as far as we're concerned.

Just an fyi to clear up confusion that I've run into on this nomenclature.

Were there ANY pre-94 Romanians at all?? I had a SAR (no sight cant) that I got in 99 or so. I thought pretty much everything pre-94 was Chinese in nature. But I could be wrong.

My collection is almost entirely pre 94. Heck, a lot of them are pre 1968 GCA. That was just a coincidence though, I love old wood and metal guns.

If you take it apart so that it can not fire a round at any moment in time while you are here in MA.

According to MA law you are not in possession of an AW.

A firearm is only a firearm only while it is assembled in which it is capable of firing a round of ammunition here in MA.

Just remove the firing pin from any semi-automatic rifle or shotgun manufactured after Sept./1994 and you will not be in the felony class of law abiding gun owners here in MA.

Easy enough huh.

Again IANAL

Last edited:
Hey 84ta406,
Depends on the date of manufacture.

If Sept/1994 or later would be subject to the AW laws governing it being semi-automatic only.

If it does not have a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, grenade launcher mount or threaded barrel for such.
Then the Ag can determine if it copies an operation of or parts that an AW has making it therefore somehow a copy of an AW here in MA.

If you take out any part so it can not fire a round while it is here in MA then you are not a felon at this time due to it not being considered a firearm unless it is capable of firing a round of ammunition at the time of arrest. Or you admit or someone states they saw you firing said weapon. And if said weapon was manufactured after Sept/1994.

The AG said she will not prosecute if you acquired it before 7/20/2016.
Now if you are stopped and the rifle is capable of firing any town or state police agency can and most likely will prosecute you.

Now do understand why so many are outraged!

Last edited:
Just remove the firing pin from any semi-automatic rifle or shotgun manufactured after Sept./1994 and you will not be in the felony class of law abiding gun owners here in MA.

Easy enough huh.

Again IANAL

Not true. People who wanted wall hangers have looked into this and just removing the firing pin from a bolt action doesn't render it 'not a gun' to MA. I believe it was discussed in the MilSurp forum where someone wanted to display a Mosin.

Back
Top Bottom