AK-47/74 Build Party 2015 - It's Official

10941035_1017634218252682_5905882222506456289_n.jpg

You want to join us for the day.. maybe teach us rookies a thing or two? You're welcome to join in the fun... I even have a shit shovel. ;)

Still need a few more people to vote on the shirt design... So far, it's very close between all three, so the votes definitely count - as opposed to most elections... No worries though - we have plenty of time to solidify things. I do need more sizes from you all though. Only a few have actually included that. Also, for those unaware, I' have had a couple votes come in through PM. Those have been included in my tally of votes. So those keeping score at home, know you are missing a couple secret ballots haha

Medium for me.

If the vote is for non gun tshirts would it still be possible to get design #1?

Last edited:
Medium for me.

If the vote is for non gun t-shirts would it still be possible to get design #2?

I've actually looked into that very thing. There is another company that could do it on the same shirt color, without the minimum order number being 6 - but their costs are higher. So, it is possible, but the shirts would cost significantly more (as in ~$35 a piece). That being the case, if a few people chose to go that route, then others going with the consensus would also end up paying more because the group buy rates would be based on a smaller group. Like I said - impossible to please everybody, but I'm trying.

EDIT: Great... now you went and edited your post. I thought it was a bit weird reading what you were saying. Either way, my explanation still remains the same though - so no harm, no foul

Last edited:
You want to join us for the day.. maybe teach us rookies a thing or two? You're welcome to join in the fun... I even have a shit shovel. ;)

I wish that I could commit for a date so far ahead or bring any useful tools. You guys are on the right path, most glorious path of building your own and I sincerely hope that it would not be the last gun that you build.

I wish that I could commit for a date so far ahead or bring any useful tools. You guys are on the right path, most glorious path of building your own and I sincerely hope that it would not be the last gun that you build.

Haha, was looking for a barrel today. Noticed some very affordable and available parts kits. I'm already subletting room in some friends' safes.

Oh, and since I forgot, size Large for me.

That one doesn't look like it's been torched, so it would be just assembly at the build party? If so, I might be interested

There refinished and pre demilled.
You might need to drill the rear trunnion rivets out.
The company selling them aren't doing that work. A few places are selling them . I think the importer is doing the demill and refinish work. I helped build two kits and the rear rivets weren't removed.

The trigger guard isn't assembled . Getting that rivet in ****ing sucks. I've done enough it takes me 5 mins to install the mag catch . First one took me a hour and some blood .a lot of swearing. You think a ar15 front pin sucks.

If you get a kit and need to demill the rivets . File a flat on it. Hit it with a center punch/or if you have a center drill .
Drill with a 1/8 bit . Peck drill . Drill a little bit and pull out. Knock chips out drill some more . Low speed and keep it wet. Then step up a drill size still under size for rivet.

I found your less likely to mess the rivet hole up just drilling with a 1/8 drill then tapping the hollow rivet out vs trying to get it dead nuts and drill to rivet hole size. Some rivets I can tap out with just a 1/8 hole others I need to drill bigger.

If any one wants to chip in and buy me a amd65 kit I'll gladly host a demill party lol .... Kinda joking . But I would take a 65 kit and demill a bunch for people on my milling machine.

I want to get a 65 kit. But I need to finish a few projects and rebuild my ak54r.

How about a spot welder? I dont want to have to go through an ffl for my receiver
Thought about getting one of those too... To go along with the flat bending die. By sadly, no to that as well as of right now. Harbor Freight carries a relatively cheap one that could get the job done though.

But pre bent 80%
Drill 3-5 holes where each rail is.
Fill hole with mig welder.
Or if you got a tig welder .

Thought about getting one of those too... To go along with the flat bending die. By sadly, no to that as well as of right now. Harbor Freight carries a relatively cheap one that could get the job done though.

That's the one ak builder sells tips for .

Last edited:
Damn. I want to do an 80%. No ffl required saves me $25

- - - Updated - - -

Homemade spotwelder with a microwave transformer. Im thinking about trying it. Maybe not. I dont want something blowing up lol

Damn. I want to do an 80%. No ffl required saves me $25

- - - Updated - - -

Homemade spotwelder with a microwave transformer. Im thinking about trying it. Maybe not. I dont want something blowing up lol

That may not likely have the power. HF spotwelder's most weight is the coil and it heats up quiet a bit, it weighs most of the welder. HF spot welder will need one tongue (sold on AK builder) that let you reach into tight spots. Also, you will need a way to heat treat your receiver.

That's the one ak builder sells tips for .

Back in the old days (pre akbuilder or any other AK tool suppliers for that matter) We really did have to DIY. Damn, I'm sounding more like my father everyday.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/163-ak-47-library/8901-spot-welder-lower-tong-mods.html

Here's another one for you.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/163-ak-47-library/37342-tg-jig-plans.html

A lot of what you see available online today, is just updated versions of stuff we were doing a decade ago.

Edit to add.
Somebody mentioned a bending jig also. Here are the plans for that.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/163-ak-47-library/7028-555th-jig-plans.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom