• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After Action Report: Ridgeline Scoped Carbine May 29th & 30th 2021

DarthRevan

NES Member
I am a paper pusher engineer with no military or LEO experience. I am 30 years old, fat, and out of shape. Civilian as f***.
I have done two Appleseed shoots (both winterseeds) and have earned a patch at the second one.
Overall I found this to be a very informative and helpful course even if you're not all that experienced with long range shooting but have decent to good fundamentals already established. I missed some parts here and there but I am aiming to go over everything from memory before I forget any more than I already have.

Rifle Gear:
FNH 16" 1/7 twist barrel
77gr .223 rounds with Sierra Matchking projectiles
Trijicon x3-18 TenMile FFP scope on a American Defense Mfg QD Mount
Trijicon SRO on Arisaka 45 degree mount
Harris 9-13" tilting bipod
OneTigris rear bag, multicam

image0.jpeg

Day One:

Class started at 0900, 9 students and 3 instructors, an insanely good ratio imo. Some cops, some veterans, couple of pure civies.
The southern boys taking the class with us didn't like the mid/high 50's and overcast saturday and high 40's into rain showers sunday. I thought it was f***ing perfect weather and @jhagberg88 and I only wore a flannel or sweater and jokingly gave them shit the whole time. "Welcome to summer in New England!"

We discussed the usual safety briefings, overall course goals, and covered some scoped rifle shooting fundamentals.

• Essential components on/used by the rifle
    • Scope
      • Get one that you know how to use, be it SFP or FFP, and preferably in MRAD/MILS. But if you bring one in MOA, they will know how to translate for your optic.
      • If needed get a cantilevered mount if you need to move the optic far enough forward with your current stock
    • Stock
      • You need to spend time prior to the class learning where your face lies on the stock in relation to your optic. For me, I have a low scope compared to the other shooters in the class, but I need to build up some on the stock so that when I'm relaxed on my rifle, my sight into the scope doesn't have that blackout effect you see when you are not centered on it.
    • Ammo types
      • Get one that matches your barrel spin rate. I have a 1/7 FNH barrel so I went with 77gr Sierra Matchking reloads with the help of @jhagberg88 who also took the course with me.
  • Discussed the placement of bipods and sling mount points on the rifle.
    • They like having the sling mount all the way out on the end of the rail and the bipod within arms reach of your support hand while prone and squared to the rifle
We then went to zero our rifles at 100yds on an 8x11 sheet of paper with 5 - 2"x2" squares on it, in the prone position.
There they discussed using a rear bag, and how to "fall" in to prone...

1622596061081.png
(I'm kidding...)

1622596222750.png

It was similar to this position, keeping your body square to the target and the line between your body and the target going right between your legs and falling into this position from standing.
  • Keep eyes on target
  • Place support hand in front of you on the ground
    • I liked to keep the rear bag in the palm of my support hand to drop onto... rocks on palms suck
  • Kick your feet out behind you, while keeping a triangle of your ass in the air, feet on the ground spread behind you, bipod on the ground already digging into the earth, then slamming you dick in the earth to load the bipod while getting behind it. (My words not theirs)
    • Just think about it for a minute... you'll get it
  • How to position the rear bag under your stock
    • To me this was a very helpful point as I've never really used one prior to this weekend.
On the first string we could take as long as we wanted to fire five rounds in to the top left target of the five, then each following attempt went around the paper setting tighter and tighter time limits.

1622596953613.png
(found this online but picture 4 corners and a center target on an 8x11, also here is a link to a good article by one of the instructors where this picture came from Understanding Cold Bore)
While firing, they discussed the different ways to measure muzzle velocity, they used magnetos (sp?) that were able to magnetically determine our rounds leaving our rifles.
That number was entered in to an app they recommended (BallisticsARC)

This set our zero, and from here the took us to the back edge of the range where the first photo was located. There was a berm of dirt built up they had us lay on in prone and from here they had us use our data from the app and we adjusted elevation on our scopes for targets at 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, & 600 yards up a hill on their "Charlie" hill. In the app it gives you the ability to calibrate your holds with a truing value that uses the elevation and the distance you placed your shot. We went by the app on these shots and the adjustment for 600 from what the app told us was used at the truing shot and once entered to the app, changed all the hold/elevation adjustments.

1622598074510.png

Then we went back to the classroom to discuss windage holds briefly and then we ended the day.

I went to Littleton for dinner at the Freehouse Taproom. Great food, would go again.

1622599429825.png 1622599384305.png
(First game of the BOS-NYI 2nd Round series, BOS won 5-2, sweet game!)

Day Two:
We covered a review of the previous day and went in to CQB shooting.

Taking what we learned from the previous day they had us run a course where there was an orange steel target somewhere on the range that we had to locate as we ran to the "shooters box" on the same berm as before, estimate the range to target then hit it in two attempts, while timed and missed rounds would add 5 sec/shot. I only managed one hit on the second attempt. But finished 3rd out of the 9 of us. (#humblebrag)

We covered standing and kneeling techniques on the 50 yard course, shot those positions, covered shooting on the move and how footfalls, width of stride and length of stride effects aiming, then moved to a MSOC qualifier(? I'm sure some current or former marine will correct me on the right name) course of fire in the same range. At fifty, take two shots from standing, then kneeling, then prone in less than 10 seconds, reset to standing then while on the move to 25 yards wait for the signal to engage two shots in the A zone, and I don't remember the rest of the drill but you move up in segments to 3 yards, reload a second mag then start over and do it a gain for a total of 50 rounds, then score based on all the hits on the A zone and head shots for a score based on 100 possible points.
I only scored a 70, again, being fat and out of shape I'm sure played a part in keeping the rifle steady through the course of fire.

From there we moved back the Range 1 (the 100 yard range), and then did some kneeling and standing work on VTACS and what positions were good and why they were, based on skeletal structure. Then from there we moved back to the dirt berm, and shot 200, 250, 300, 350, & 400 from our different positions on the VTACS.

Then to wrap up the day we loaded a five round mag and had two VTACS 25 meters apart, starting on the first, a meter behind it, get in to a standing position on the vtac and shoot a target 200 yards away, then once the shot was fired, run to the right side VTAC and shoot the next target at 200 from the kneeling position . We ran back and forth between the two vtacs completing our shots at five targets in a row.

Summary: This class was f***ing awesome
This facility is f***ing beautiful....
1622601765353.png
1622601843200.png

I was in awe of the surrounding landscape which made my misses all the more bearable, like how can you be mad looking at a valley like that behind you? The drive to get there through Franconia Notch was awesome too. I've been up Rt 16 many times to Conway and points north, but never up the 93 corridor and I strongly recommend going that way if you ever feel the need to wander.

While the class might be on the expensive side for some newer shooters looking to take it, the instructors and their willingness to share insight and perspective was well worth the cost to me. Alex, Rudy and Brett/Blake (? I feel awful for forgetting his name) were incredibly approachable and offered what they could to help with whatever question you had. These guys really impressed me with how well they handled student questions. I really can't emphasize it enough...
They were able to help me, a complete distance shooting noob, make hits on steel out to 600 in a day, which blew my mind.

I want to take this course again or perhaps their CQB class. I can not recommend this class enough if you want to get serious about shooting past 100.

That said, make sure you find an optic you know how to read, determine what ammo shoots the best out of your rifle, even if you only have a short range to try it out on, and that you have a quality free floating rail section for your hand guard.

Did you get the hoodie?

This is hands down the best scoped carbine class in the US currently. I think ive taken it like 4-5 times now and it improves/changes every single time.

Welcome to my neighborhood. :)

The last time I shot on that property, it was when The Dalton Gang let us host a newbie shoot for PorcFest. And when I say "newbie", I mean people who have literally never touched a firearm before, many from places where it's illegal for them to do so.

@DarthRevan where did most people stay? I assume the Hampton Inn in Littleton because it's the only national chain up here, aside from a Best Western in Franconia.

It was a drizzly dreary weekend right up through Tuesday morning, but when I popped down through Franconia Notch this afternoon to see my daughter in Woodstock, we were in full "NH showing out" mode.

Did you get the hoodie?
No, one of the Carolina guys shot damn well both days. I have some tweaking of equipment to make and spend more time practicing shooting on the move. Maybe then I’ll be in contention.

Did you really shoot 1000 rounds?
No, maybe 650? I have a good amount left over.
That said, I did reshoot a few of the 100 yard zeros and Rudy shot my rifle a few times to see why my groups were constantly painting the edges of the 2” square and got the same results I did. I felt pretty good after that knowing the rifle was a bit off for him, too.

Turns out my gas block is ever slightly rubbing the rails. I’m going to swap it out for a low profile block and get a new rail system and see how that improves me.

@DarthRevan where did most people stay? I assume the Hampton Inn in Littleton because it's the only national chain up here, aside from a Best Western in Franconia.
Honestly I didn’t ask, I stayed in a “art hostel” in whitefield that was booked on Airbnb for cheap money and boy I’ll never do that again.

Last edited:
Nice, good instructors/help is great.
First time shooting nra service rifle XTC i was a bit nervous. They made it real simple and like you was hitting the black at 600 ist time out.
Like many things dont "over think" dont bog down your thoughts with stuff you dont know.
Breath and listen .
Good thing about 223,30-06,308 is they share a common rough "come up" From a known 100 yard zero these will get you in the ball park for elevation. Then you fine tune from there.
I write my zeros and come ups on my rifle. Silver sharpie paint marker works well.
100 to 200 + 2MOA
200 to 300 + 3 MOA
300 to 500 + 7 MOA
300 to 600 + 11 MOA

How often did you find yourself going above say 10x magnification?
Frequently, in order to best see my mil hashes.
With my scope it was fairly quick to have it backed off for better field of view, then zoom in once on target. 15x was best for me as the maximum so that I had some wiggle room while looking for the 600 yd targets.

sharpie paint marker works well.
100 to 200 + 2MOA
200 to 300 + 3 MOA
300 to 500 + 7 MOA
300 to 600 + 11 MOA
Hmm, ain’t that supposed to be memorized when you were, like, 12yr old ? :) plus a correction for m855/m193…

I also think in moa, interesting that they prefer mrad for a civilian class, not sure what’s the point there. Moa is just simpler to remember, or am I wrong? Is mrad now indeed what most people use?

Frequently, in order to best see my mil hashes.
With my scope it was fairly quick to have it backed off for better field of view, then zoom in once on target. 15x was best for me as the maximum so that I had some wiggle room while looking for the 600 yd targets.
Did they speak at all about recommended or their own preferences for optics? What other folks had? I understand they probably did not care much what to use equipment wise, but, just curious.

Hmm, ain’t that supposed to be memorized when you were, like, 12yr old ? :) plus a correction for m855/m193…

I also think in moa, interesting that they prefer mrad for a civilian class, not sure what’s the point there. Moa is just simpler to remember, or am I wrong? Is mrad now indeed what most people use?
I mean it’s all personal preference. If you know how to hold in MOA you’re good.
With mil/mrad in base 10 it’s easier for me to understand it.
Most companies are putting out MRAD now for the most part.

Did they speak at all about recommended or their own preferences for optics? What other folks had? I understand they probably did not care much what to use equipment wise, but, just curious.
They didn’t lean to hard either way but I think the instructors were all running Nightforce.
Other students had Leupold, Vortex, and Trijicon.
I personally FFP so I knew what I’m looking at is actually a useful hash mark at any magnification.

Good write up, I still have a good bit of GMM in my ammo locker, I should sign up and take this class again.

I do like what the did with their target arrays going up the hillside.

They didn’t lean to hard either way but I think the instructors were all running Nightforce.
Other students had Leupold, Vortex, and Trijicon.
I personally FFP so I knew what I’m looking at is actually a useful hash mark at any magnification.
I did not mean brands as much as a type - lpvo vs higher magnification vs ffp/sfp etc.
specifically an opinion of having a red dot combination with optics - as that changes a bit approach to optics choice.

I did not mean brands as much as a type - lpvo vs higher magnification vs ffp/sfp etc.
specifically an opinion of having a red dot combination with optics - as that changes a bit approach to optics choice.
Again it’s all personal preference and time spent behind the rifle. Just learn to shoot what you got.

Again it’s all personal preference and time spent behind the rifle. Just learn to shoot what you got.
That's counter to *everything* in the Zoolander thread. Now I don't know what to believe: run what ya brung, or nothing's more important than looking cool.

:sobbing:

I did not ask about personal preferences- I asked if instructors spoke of their preferences or opinions. If they did not - fine.
My preference for a very long time was a 4x fixed scope- I doubt much of you would prefer that. Anything you got would work fine if you use it for long enough and have no alternatives.

That's counter to *everything* in the Zoolander thread. Now I don't know what to believe: run what ya brung, or nothing's more important than looking cool.
:sobbing:
there are just too many options nowadays. i had a way too long of a time gap to get to modern offers, and it overspreads the attention.
of all the current choices i own i still like the best is the cheapest simplest 4-12 diamondback, but it does not mean it is the best option.

Last edited:
No, one of the Carolina guys shot damn well both days. I have some tweaking of equipment to make and spend more time practicing shooting on the move. Maybe then I’ll be in contention.

No, maybe 650? I have a good amount left over.
That said, I did reshoot a few of the 100 yard zeros and Rudy shot my rifle a few times to see why my groups were constantly painting the edges of the 2” square and got the same results I did. I felt pretty good after that knowing the rifle was a bit off for him, too.

Turns out my gas block is ever slightly rubbing the rails. I’m going to swap it out for a low profile block and get a new rail system and see how that improves me.

Honestly I didn’t ask, I stayed in a “art hostel” in whitefield that was booked on Airbnb for cheap money and boy I’ll never do that again.
How many of those 650 rounds were 50 yards and in? Curious how many 77gr I need on hand vs 55gr for the CQB stuff.

Did you really shoot 1000 rounds?

When I took the course I used 350rds of 77gr and about 300rds of 55gr. I brought 1k of each to the course though. All reloads. There is time while there to shoot more during breaks and after if you need to get some distance shooting in. A few guys in my group shot extra.

ETA
If you brought 500 of each I think you would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom