Advice on Scope for AR-15 Flat Top 24" barrel

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
So I went down to the range to sight in my Nikon that I already had on my newest AR.
Go figure the Nikon is dead again -BOOOO
(see post: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=455412#post455412)

Maxar5.jpg

Maxar3.jpg

AR built through JDL Sales -dealer member of our forum- Great person highly recommended.

So I am looking to purchase a new scope. Looking for recommendations if any or any places that will give C&R discount so I can try and save a couple bucks. Good out to 300 yards is what I am hoping to accomplish. Feel free to PM me if you have any thoughts and such.

Options:

1) buy a cheapo so I can atleast plink until I have the funds for the new scope or the return from Nikon on the one I have.

2) buy used by trying the WTB section and other outlets

3) buy brand new in the price range of $150-$300 based upon recommendations

Very nice Derek - thats exactly the sort of feedback im looking for.
Seems like a reasonable price for what I want to accomplish.
Do you know if any shops carry these or is it best to get it online?

I shoot with Iron sights just fine out to about 200 yards - this AR build is based on it being used with optics.

I have decided based upon recommendations on the Super Sniper.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Sorry one last question -

I only have 1" scope mounting hardware - looks like i will need the 30mm.

Trying to navigate SWFA for ordering the 30mm hardware is tough (No pics etc) - anybody have a recommendation from their site so I can get all I need in one order.
Or a specific manufacturer and model that works well with this setup?

I can always speak to a rep with SWFA if I call them direct but wanted to place via web as to not place a call from my business phone.

Last edited:
Sorry one last question -

I only have 1" scope mounting hardware - looks like i will need the 30mm.

Trying to navigate SWFA for ordering the 30mm hardware is tough (No pics etc) - anybody have a recommendation from their site so I can get all I need in one order.
Or a specific manufacturer and model that works well with this setup?

I can always speak to a rep with SWFA if I call them direct but wanted to place via web as to not place a call from my business phone.

If it's in the budget, buy tour SS at SWFA and get on the horn to Mark LaRue at LaRue Tactical for your mounting needs. Pricey, but worth every red cent. Troy BUIS would be a nice addition in case, but if you're comfortable with a scope-only set up, then I can;t recommend a LaRue scope mount or rings nearly enough....

Ordered up the Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope .
Decided why not to the front and rear flip up sights and ordered those up as well.
Ordered up 2 configurations for the mounting/rings to see which I prefer.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know how it all came together in a couple weeks.

The Super Sniper is freaking awesome... I was really impressed with this scope. Its crisp, clear, pretty darn sturdy. I had it mounted and sighted in within 1 hour and I must admit the thing looks sick on my rifle.

I will be having much fun this summer - Thanks again to all that gave me feedback.

I got a one piece 30mm scope mount from ProMag - I looked at the LaRue which I am sure I will get in the future but at the time it was not cost effective for me.

Pics or it's didn't happen.

I knew I would be asked - My digi is gone. Was placed in my golf bag for some stupid reason that I cannot think of from last season and went to look for it - gone.

Looked everywhere in my house and its just missing. Going to look again now just cause its fresh in my head.

I am going to try bring a digi from my work home and snap a few pics before the end of the week.

Cheapskate... Just kidding....Sounds like a great set-up! [grin]

I agree I did cheap out ... as this will not be my last AR build (still doing the NES one) I am saving up the pennies to continue to get all the goodies that will eventully end up on one of the rifles.

I took a camera from work to borrow so I should have some time by thursday at the latest to get some pics up on or before Friday.

I agree I did cheap out ... as this will not be my last AR build (still doing the NES one) I am saving up the pennies to continue to get all the goodies that will eventully end up on one of the rifles.

I took a camera from work to borrow so I should have some time by thursday at the latest to get some pics up on or before Friday.

Cool - I can't wait to see your set up - it sounds bad-ass... [devil]

Nice but the scope is way high of the center of bore. Is there a reason for this? One more question: I know that I need a good check wield to the stock and your set up seems to be to high for this, is there a reason for this also...Sorry about the newbie Questions.

Back
Top Bottom