Adding a scope to a lever-action?

I recently inherited an old (1940s or 1950s) Model 94 lever-action .30-30 that has some sentimental value. It's still in good shape and shoots very straight for its age.

However, at some stage I would like to replace the Lyman iron sights and throw a scope on there. Seeing as it's not one of the angle-eject models, how would I go about that? Obviously I would need a gunsmith to do the work, but are there scopes out there (or mounting techniques) to get around the problem of it not being angle-eject?

I have mounts on mine that elevate the scope. I can't remember if the rifle was pre-drilled or I sent it out. It was a while ago. The elevated scope allows you to use the iron sights and it does not interfere with the AE.

So I gather that an elevated scope would make it slightly different to sight-in, right? Or slightly more difficult to shoot at non-zeroed differences?

And, do I need a scope specifically designed to be elevated?

I don't think so. The scope I have is just a regular scope and I have elevated mounts too. I'll take a look at it when I go home but if I remember correctly once it was drilled everything else was easy.

I recently inherited an old (1940s or 1950s) Model 94 lever-action .30-30 that has some sentimental value. It's still in good shape and shoots very straight for its age.....
It almost seems like a shame to d&t a pre-64 M94.
They do have some collectors' value.
I recently picked up a pretty-near-new '94AE for about $200 at my local gunshop.
It might be worth preserving the gun for its' colletors' value and picking up another already drilled for the scope mounts.

It almost seems like a shame to d&t a pre-64 M94.
They do have some collectors' value.
I recently picked up a pretty-near-new '94AE for about $200 at my local gunshop.
It might be worth preserving the gun for its' colletors' value and picking up another already drilled for the scope mounts.
First off, thanks for the reply! The gun belongs to my father-in-law, it was his father's before him. I personally don't mind using the iron sights -- in fact, I rather enjoy them. But it was my FIL that suggested he pull the scope of his current rifle and put it onto the 94, not me.

He might not be aware of their monetary value, but seeing as it's his rifle he is obviously the most aware of it's sentimental. Where abouts, specifically, do they drill holes to mount the 94? Is it anything I could purchase a "spare" for, and then replace down the track? I am pretty new to rifles (old American rifles especially!) so I don't really know where to start.

.... Where abouts, specifically, do they drill holes to mount the 94? Is it anything I could purchase a "spare" for, and then replace down the track? I am pretty new to rifles (old American rifles especially!) so I don't really know where to start.
The typical side mount for the M94 will require three or four holes drilled and tapped through the side of the receiver.
The holes can be filled with plug screws if the mount is removed but they will be quite obvious.
Also, because the gun ejects straight up, the scope will be offset to the left for clearance. The recent model '94AE will be drilled and tapped for the scope mount from the factory and the scope will mount directly over the bore and fairly low as the gun ejects sideways to clear the scope.
Personally, I would be thrilled to have an older '94 with a nice Lyman receiver sight. I think that it would shoot every bit as well as a scoped one. Even us old guys can usually see the front sight clearly, it's the rear that is the problem. The rear aperature solves that problem nicely because a rear aperature actually works better if you don't focus on it.

The typical side mount for the M94 will require three or four holes drilled and tapped through the side of the receiver.
The holes can be filled with plug screws if the mount is removed but they will be quite obvious.
Also, because the gun ejects straight up, the scope will be offset to the left for clearance. The recent model '94AE will be drilled and tapped for the scope mount from the factory and the scope will mount directly over the bore and fairly low as the gun ejects sideways to clear the scope.
Personally, I would be thrilled to have an older '94 with a nice Lyman receiver sight. I think that it would shoot every bit as well as a scoped one. Even us old guys can usually see the front sight clearly, it's the rear that is the problem. The rear aperature solves that problem nicely because a rear aperature actually works better if you don't focus on it.
How much does a used receiver usually cost for a 94? I guess if it's expensive enough it approaches the price I'd pay for an actual 94 itself...

I guess what I really want is a unobtrusive way to mount a scope on the 94 as it is, but without drilling the receiver I can't think of any way.

Personally I'd avoid putting a scope on it unless you can find a way to mount a scout scope forward of the receiver without drilling and tapping. I don't know if there is anything available to do that though.

I'd go with a Tang peep sight if it was my rifle. Something like the Lyman No.2.

CD

Where abouts, specifically, do they drill holes to mount the 94? Is it anything I could purchase a "spare" for, and then replace down the track?
1) in the receiver. 2) no, you'd effectively be replacing the entire gun. The receiver is the part with the serial number.
I guess what I really want is a unobtrusive way to mount a scope on the 94 as it is, but without drilling the receiver I can't think of any way.
I don't know of a way to do that. You could always call up a decent gunsmith and ask him.

Personally, I would leave your gun alone and buy a recent model 94 if you want a scoped lever action.

Don't scope it. A scope would ruin the classic lines of the 94. Nothing is handier to carry in the woods than a 94. A Marlin 336 is a 30-30 lever-action that can be scoped with ease as they are side-eject. Winchester 88's are even easier, but they are not so easy on the wallet.

Personally I'd avoid putting a scope on it ...
I'd go with a Tang peep sight if it was my rifle. Something like the Lyman No.2....

Don't scope it. A scope would ruin the classic lines of the 94. Nothing is handier to carry in the woods than a 94. A Marlin 336 is a 30-30 lever-action that can be scoped with ease as they are side-eject. ...

+1 on these two posts.

Maybe you could put some fiber sights on instead?

It has Lyman peep sights on it now, and I think I have convinced my father-in-law to leave it as it is; especially seeing as he wanted to do it for me.

I am no expert shot, but I can make tight enough groups standing from 50 yards for it to be effective at what I'm using it for (hunting deer).

I've got an old '94 in .30-30, and if I were to do anything to improve the sights, I'd stick on a Lyman No. 2 tang aperature sight to keep it faithful to its heritage.

Ken

KMaurer: I don't know much about iron sights, but the 94 I shoot says "Lyman no. 2" on the side. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom