• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

accidental shooting death at Mansfield Fish and Game

When he was quoted I'm sure he knew nothing about why/who/etc.

I think you can believe his SIL who posted on the MPD Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MansfieldPD

He was 64 yo Stephen Backstrom according to her and she stated that it was a suicide. RIP!

Makes sense now. I didn't realize the sil posted on the Mansfield pd fb after the article with the quote from the club was written.

The way the sister-in-law describes him in her comment on one of the news articles has got me wondering if he snuck onto the range, waited for someone to be on the line shooting and took a second gun that person brought, using it to off himself. She explicitly describes him as having been in a mental institution and jail for a violent offense. People with that type of background can't legally own guns and don't typically frequent shooting ranges. If he had the gun on his own, it seems very strange to me that he would have gone to the range to kill himself.

Here's the moron's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SharrhanOccupy.Williamson

Not surprising that she's going to capitalize on the situation to push her own personal far left agenda.

After reading the posts here, my next thought was what kind of low life relative would publicly post that her sister's husband committed suicide? There are many ramifications involved in a suicide not the least of which is financial. I'm going to make some harsh judgements about the sister in law. She is a selfish, spiteful, unloving piece of humanity.

Best regards.

Relative is posting she is going to try and shut down the club. See wcvb comments.

That'll be amusing, that will end right after the ambulance chaser she approaches utters the words "I need a contingency fee of $XXXX."

-Mike

Selfish people need to find better places to kill themselves.

I am sorry the guy was mentally disturbed enough to do this. But why f*ck over the entire gun club? Was he renting a pistol there or something?

If I wanted to off myself...I would find a nice secluded mountaintop somewhere to do it at! At least see one last glorious sunset

Poor bastard.

If I was going to ever off myself, I'm pretty sure I'd have to be so messed up that I wouldn't even begin to consider if where I was doing it was a good place or not.

I guess you guys that are unselfish enough to wander off into the woods expect to be pretty rational immediately ahead of your suicide.

I am sorry the guy was mentally disturbed enough to do this. But why f*ck over the entire gun club? Was he renting a pistol there or something?

If I wanted to off myself...I would find a nice secluded mountaintop somewhere to do it at! At least see one last glorious sunset

Personally, I'd go with a HANO jump on a clear day. High Altitude, No Opening.

People who think about shooting themselves with a gun on purpose generally aren't concerned with excitement or having fun. Maybe they might be if they had terminal cancer or something, I could see that... but I don't think that most people who commit suicide have the emotional capacity for such thoughts at the moment they do it; because if they did they wouldn't do it.

-Mike

When he was quoted I'm sure he knew nothing about why/who/etc.

I think you can believe his SIL who posted on the MPD Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MansfieldPD

He was 64 yo Stephen Backstrom according to her and she stated that it was a suicide. RIP!

Yeah, and then she posted this:
"Second day, and still no clear details. I'm wondering when we will know even basic facts like whether it was a pistol or a larger gun, or why the news continues to say authorities cannot determine whether it was an accident or a suicide? We need to know!"

So it sounds like there is no clear answer yet as to suicide or accident.

- - - Updated - - -

Poor bastard.

If I was going to ever off myself, I'm pretty sure I'd have to be so messed up that I wouldn't even begin to consider if where I was doing it was a good place or not.

I guess you guys that are unselfish enough to wander off into the woods expect to be pretty rational immediately ahead of your suicide.

Exactly. It's clear that a lot of you have no idea what goes through the mind of a suicidal person. You think they care about who is going to be affected when they are so miserable they can't see a way out other than taking their own life? Yeah, no. Selfish is thinking that someone should have to "go somewhere in the middle of the woods" in order to not inconvenience anyone else.

And she's already blaming the tool he used:

"Just checked your FB page. Oh, of course!: Another ill-informed gun rights promoter. I bet situations like this (where a mentally ill man with an easily obtained record of incarceration and institutionalization for erratic behavior) was foolishly allowed to be a member of this gun club and went there regularly to let off steam. What could possibly go wrong? Hmmm??? Just ask his family members."

And she's already blaming the tool he used:

"Just checked your FB page. Oh, of course!: Another ill-informed gun rights promoter. I bet situations like this (where a mentally ill man with an easily obtained record of incarceration and institutionalization for erratic behavior) was foolishly allowed to be a member of this gun club and went there regularly to let off steam. What could possibly go wrong? Hmmm??? Just ask his family members."

TTBOMK:

- He wasn't a member of the club, I don't recognize the name and I've been a member for 7-8 years.
- If what she posts is correct, he could never be a member of any gun club in MA as he'd be DQ'd on getting a LTC [STRIKE=I was wrong]which is a requirement for membership . . . if you don't show it, you don't get a membership[/STRIKE]!
- Nobody realizes that gun clubs can't access medical records nor can they directly do a CORI on someone. The fact that someone has a LTC in their hand is more info than what a CORI would show anyway.
- It is likely that he came as a guest of a member and used that member's gun. What that member knew or didn't of his background is unknown.

If she has legal standing, it wouldn't surprise me if she or her sister sued the club, the gun mfr and the poor guy who brought her BIL to the club.

Last edited:
On second thought... Wow. I can't even believe the things I've read after my initial post which makes my initial post meaningless.

Last edited:
First, RIP to the human being who killed himself regardless of the situation.

As for the location he picked, if he's out of touch with reality so much that he would end his life then I doubt very much he had the capacity to decide where would be the "best" place.

Second, I'd like to set something straight because we are creating an atmosphere by which people who have depression will be less inclined to get help for fear of being labeled or otherwise stamped as defective. The VAST majority of people with depression don't kill themselves. The media, lawyers and activists have created the stereotype that people with depression are dangerous suicidal killers. While it's true that many people who commit suicide are depressed, the opposite is not true. That is, if you are depressed then you are by default a danger to yourself and others. NOT TRUE. People who ultimately take their own lives suffer from far more than just depression. Most people with depression simply don't have the ability to feel happiness and are no danger to themselves or anyone else. As a former cancer patient I can tell you without hesitation that when you are faced with possible death you get depressed. I can also tell you without hesitation that I did not put myself through 6 months of chemo just for the privilege of blowing my brains out at a later date. There is a BIG difference between being depressed and being suicidal or a killer.

Keep up the good fight with the cancer .

You've nailed it about being depressed and wanting to kill your self are not the same thing.

RIP. Glad I didn't take my 13 year old daughter to the range after school like planned. That would have been devasting for her.

- If what she posts is correct, he could never be a member of any gun club in MA as he'd be DQ'd on getting a LTC which is a requirement for membership . . . if you don't show it, you don't get a membership!

I've been a member of three clubs (still a member of two). None of them required you to have an FID or LTC. At one club, the leadership discussed that but decided against it because, at the time, Boston PD required club membership before applying for an LTC or FID. So if we required an FID or LTC to get a club membership and the PD required a club membership to get an FID or LTC, that would put people in a catch-22 situation. The BPD might have liked that but we would not play that game.

I feel for the guy. I suspect that he had been in a lot of pain for a very long time.

RIP. Glad I didn't take my 13 year old daughter to the range after school like planned. That would have been devasting for her.

By that time I'm sure that MPD and MSP had shut-down access to the property. However, I agree that anyone seeing the aftermath might be traumatized.

By that time I'm sure that MPD and MSP had shut-down access to the property. However, I agree that anyone seeing the aftermath might be traumatized.

She gets off the bus at 2:10. I usually take her around 2:30

I've been a member of three clubs (still a member of two). None of them required you to have an FID or LTC. At one club, the leadership discussed that but decided against it because, at the time, Boston PD required club membership before applying for an LTC or FID. So if we required an FID or LTC to get a club membership and the PD required a club membership to get an FID or LTC, that would put people in a catch-22 situation. The BPD might have liked that but we would not play that game.

BR&P gives a Notarized "provisional member" paper to those in process, but you don't get an access card until you show your LTC to one of 2 officers who handle club access cards.

MF&G requires that you show a LTC and NRA (now or GOAL) membership card to get your membership card.

Neither club has fishing on the property so if you can't shoot there is no reason to join.

- - - Updated - - -

She gets off the bus at 2:10. I usually take her around 2:30

Ouch! You are right. The problem is that this can happen at any club at any time.

Back
Top Bottom