• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

accidental shooting death at Mansfield Fish and Game

If I wanted to off myself...I would find a nice secluded mountaintop somewhere to do it at! At least see one last glorious sunset

IMHO, i believe people that kill themselves want to be found so the people closest to them feel bad for them.

And here is an update on this situation for all of you gun-nuts who are hating on us and on Stephen: IT TURNS OUT THAT IT WAS NOT SUICIDE AT ALL. He made a big mistake, while standing over the gun, trying to enable the safety mechanism, and it went off. There were many witnesses. The bottom line is probably that Stephen was so depressed and enervated, and perhaps sleep deprived, as well, that he lost his focus. Please people, if you're going to say anything, be KIND. Nobody in this family is happy about what happened. Is this what this country has come to: BLAME BLAME BLAME???

He was manipulating the safety and the gun went off? Keep your finger offfffff the trigger.

He was manipulating the safety and the gun went off? Keep your finger offfffff the trigger.

standing over the gun, pointed at your head, manipulating the safety.........ah, no.
nice way to describe a suicide, that looks like an accident. it's too bad for all involved

Not suicide, a recent post..

Sharrhan IstandwithFerguson Williamson And here is an update on this situation for all of you gun-nuts who are hating on us and on Stephen: IT TURNS OUT THAT IT WAS NOT SUICIDE AT ALL. He made a big mistake, while standing over the gun, trying to enable the safety mechanism, and it went off. There were many witnesses. The bottom line is probably that Stephen was so depressed and enervated, and perhaps sleep deprived, as well, that he lost his focus. Please people, if you're going to say anything, be KIND. Nobody in this family is happy about what happened. Is this what this country has come to: BLAME BLAME BLAME??? 53 minutes ago

And to those who call it selfish.... STFU until you walk in another man's shoes and bear his burdens. How disrespectful.

+1

I am sorry the guy was mentally disturbed enough to do this. But why f*ck over the entire gun club? Was he renting a pistol there or something?

If I wanted to off myself...I would find a nice secluded mountaintop somewhere to do it at! At least see one last glorious sunset

Already planning it, odd.

And Mike from BB did it the best way, not suicide but dying that is.

"Shut the **** up...Let me die in peace"

Last edited by a moderator:
remember this picture of Al Gore? Some people do stupid things. Some get lucky, others don't.

I don't know what happened but I feel bad for his family. Let's hope the club doesn't suffer.
071100gore.1.jpg

Jesus... how about stopping the speculation and arguments. A fellow shooter is down and out. Does it really matter? Is it any of our business?

How about some respect for someone that shared out love of the sport.

RIP

And to those who call it selfish.... STFU until you walk in another man's shoes and bear his burdens. How disrespectful.

Then he can end that suffering somewhere where it doesn't burden a whole gun club of shooters. I'm an *******, guilty as charged.

Nonetheless, RIP and prayers for the family.

Last edited:
Yeah, and then she posted this:
"Second day, and still no clear details. I'm wondering when we will know even basic facts like whether it was a pistol or a larger gun, or why the news continues to say authorities cannot determine whether it was an accident or a suicide? We need to know!"

So it sounds like there is no clear answer yet as to suicide or accident.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. It's clear that a lot of you have no idea what goes through the mind of a suicidal person. You think they care about who is going to be affected when they are so miserable they can't see a way out other than taking their own life? Yeah, no. Selfish is thinking that someone should have to "go somewhere in the middle of the woods" in order to not inconvenience anyone else.
I disagree. Selfish is blowing your brains out and expecting someone else to clean it up.

My childhood friend that grew up across the street from me killed himself last week, I've probably only seen him twice in the last 30 years. My mother still talks to his mother (they've both moved away) and was told that he became an angry drunk and was kicked out of his house by his wife, I guess he thought it was his best option. I don't get suicide, to me you're letting your family and loved ones down and causing nothing but pain.....

Everyone making generalizations about suicide. (Was that a generalization?)

Many people who kill themselves are in very serious pain, either physical or mental.

Many people who kill themselves are NOT in a temporary position, but instead they are in a chronic state.

Many people who kill themselves do so rationally to relieve their families of burden. While we think they are irrational, who are we to take away that most personal decision?
Many people who commit suicide do so heroically to save their brothers in war.

Many people who kill themselves are mentally ill.
Many people who kill themselves are sane.

It is an extraordinary complex subject and platitudes like "permanent fix to temporary problem" and "they are irrational" and "mentally ill" or "selfish" seems to me to be kind of unhelpful.

I agree with both of the above. The trauma of forcing another person to see you do it and carry that burden for life (the "what if I refused to go with him, would he still be alive", "how could I have prevented this if I had just done x or y" self-doubts) is unfair to others.

I did know a few people who committed suicide but they did it by themselves and left no mess for others to deal with. It still hurts those left behind deeply, but it is a lesser hurt than forcing them to watch but be powerless to stop it.

When it comes to suicide, there is always a mess to deal with, whether it be physical or mental......

companies/facilities. It's selfish to cause others harm just because you want a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
I have no idea what this individual's situation is, but the cliche of "permanent solution to a temporary problem" is not always accurate.

I know of one elderly man, in full possession of his faculties, who took a 12 gauge checkout. I would hardly call his Stage IV lung cancer to be a "temporary problem".

And then there is the case of the two deaf brothers in Europe who lived together their entire life. They were in the advanced stage of a disease that would claim their sight, and chose to checkout using legal assisted suicide. Nothing temporary at all about their problem.

That should be in the pamphlet.

Eddie Eagle could deliver that message appropriately.

- - - Updated - - -

When a person dies, someone else ALWAYS cleans it up.

The difference is whether or not that someone signed up for that when they took the job.

I regret making the initial selfish comment on here for what it's worth. No need to MMQB some poor guy's last act.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom