• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A little help chosing a gun...

What rifle should I get?

• Mosin-Nagant (7.62X54mmR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M48 Mauser (8X57mm)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you are willing to put your own AR together from parts bought from AR15.com's classifieds, you can easily build one for around $600. It may take you a little while to find the parts that cheap, but you can do it if you are patient.

A stripped lower, around $125

Used upper, I bought one for $175 including bolt/carrier

Used A2 buttstock, $30-40

New lower parts kit, $80

used handguards, $30

Be patient, and all those parts totalled $450. If you want to rush it and buy the parts right away, it will probably cost you around $150-200 more.

But, I'd never be without an AK, too!

I concur with Hawgleg, and will add that some of the parts can be had new, fairly cheap, from a few different sources.

About the Kimber bolt gun, a few observations:

Compare the cost to a Remington 700 series gun. You may find more value for your money from the Remington. Winchester would be a good alternative.

Why 7mm? I suggest a 30 caliber, if for no other reason than availability of good ammo or bullets. I prefer a 308, 30-06, 300 Winchester Mag or 300 Weatherby Mag. Match grade ammo can be had for sure in the first three and possibly the later. Since I make my own ammo, I get more options, and can tell you that the choices for long range bullets in 30 cal is staggering.

I don't recommend a Savage Bolt Gun, based on past experiences with the Savages. They may be good, IF you're on a tight budget. A lot has been done to the Remington's, and they were very popular with the BenchRest folks for a long time.

My experiences with the newer Savage bolt guns are just the opposite. I've never owned one, but three of my friends bought them in .223 for coyote and woodchuck hunting.

With good ammo (Federal Premium), they shoot three shot groups with all holes touching at 100 yards. All of them wear 6.5-20x50 $99 Midway scopes. One thing though, if you plan to use a bipod on the Savage, don't get the synthetic stock. It's not rigid at all and you can't hold steady with the flex of it. My friend got the laminated factory stock and it solved the problem.

The worst part of the Savage was the trigger, until they designed the Accu-Trigger for them. The engineer who designed it is a former S&W engineer who jumped ship and is working for Savage now.

If you go to the get together later this year, you'll probably see my Rem 600 and understand. Hart barrel and McMillan stock.

The Remington factory trigger can be tweaked by a reasonable person, and moderately accurizing the package isn't hard. I recommend synthetic stocks, since they don't warp.

The intended use has a lot to do with how much you spend. A 7mm Mag is probably not for Varmint hunting, though a friend of mine used to shoot Woodchucks with a 30-338.

I had a .308 Remington M600 before, but it's new home is my friend's gunsafe.

I doubt I'll be making it to the shoot. My injuries aren't healing up well at all and I may be going in for more surgeries. We'll see, though. If some Devine Intervention happens, I'll be there.

Bugs100 said:
Thanks you changed my mind about getting a Ruger Mini. What do you think of a bolt action Kimber in 7mm. It has a high powered scope and a bull barrell. I want some thing very accurate.

This also depends on what type accuracy you're looking for and for what purpose. Are you looking for an accurate hunting rifle, bench rest rifle, or something like a sniper rifle you can use in F - Class?

I'll through out a few options:

First, if you want decent accuracy out of the box, you can't beat a 700P or 700VS in .308. Comes with medium heavy weight barrel with target crown and a free floating partially bedded stock.

Second, build your own.

You can buy actions only, and some "in the white". I would suggest a 700 action, or a modified Mauser 98 action from Charles Daly. Select the barrel, stock and trigger of choice, then take it all to your local smith. Have him install the barrel and head space the chamber, install and adjust the trigger (I suggest at least 2 pounds to begin with), and free float and fully bed the action including pillars.

You could also pick up a used 700 in the .308 bolt diameter group and strip the action off and start from there.

Top it off with good glass and you're ready to go.

And, if you build your own, make sure you take it to a Bench Rest 'smith, or send it out to Hart. Have them "true your receiver (locking lugs) and bolt while they're at it, and most of the rest of the work is DIY.

I'll echo on the good glass. Yes, right now, I've got a BSA 6-24 Mil-Dot on the 600 (Remember the only thing Remington is the action). After I decide whether I like it or not, I'll put a better scope on it. I'm thinking Bausch and Lomb or similar, but not Leupold. Leupold's are generally good, but don't like the wet or cold. I've personally seen them fog or freeze (yes, it was well below zero out). An old Weaver is doable, but then, I've already got a few of those (and like them).

If you're not interested in doing the work, a 700P or 700VS would be the ticket. Get a 308 and learn to shoot it. You may find it capable of humbling a 7mm Mag or 300 Mag.

I did get a little ahead of myself. Some 700 actions come already worked. If you get one in the white, you'll need to have the action squared, bolt trued, and lugs lapped. I have a local smith that does some of the best work. The national silhoutte champion uses a rifle he built for him.

TonyD said:
I did get a little ahead of myself. Some 700 actions come already worked. If you get one in the white, you'll need to have the action squared, bolt trued, and lugs lapped. I have a local smith that does some of the best work. The national silhoutte champion uses a rifle he built for him.

ETA - Get a good base and rings, and lap the rings as well.

FWIW, I haven't seen one yet that came from the factory straight enough for match (or extreme long range) shooting. I've done a few, and it's not really that hard, if you've got a lathe and some ability. I've never lapped rings, since that's a fairly new concept, but, it can't hurt, and may gain.

I'll definitely echo that CHEAP doesn't get the job done when you're talking accuracy. Just ask yourself how much accuracy do you need, and just how much can you afford. Are you going to compete with the gun? How far do you plan on shooting? What size is the target? Ask yourself these questions. If you need to hit a man-sized target out to 500 meters, you can do it with an M14/M1A or M1 Garand, and open sights, no less. 750 to 800 meters, scope the semi. 1000 meters or slightly more, I'd look into a moderately accurized custom bolt gun like Tony and I have both outlined. Over 1400 meters, 50 BMG or 338 Lapua Mag.

Well I got a lot of information out of that, thank you. I'm a handgunner I havn't shot a rifle since Vietnam. I was toying with the idea of getting one just to do some thing a little different.

A friend offered me a Kimber in 7mm with a black plastic stock SS bull barrel and a high power Leopould scope for $350. He said it was more than he needed and had less than 10 rounds through it.

After reading these posts I realize I would be happier buying a new handgun. Thanks for the replies.

Bugs100 said:
Well I got a lot of information out of that, thank you. I'm a handgunner I havn't shot a rifle since Vietnam. I was toying with the idea of getting one just to do some thing a little different.

A friend offered me a Kimber in 7mm with a black plastic stock SS bull barrel and a high power Leopould scope for $350. He said it was more than he needed and had less than 10 rounds through it.

After reading these posts I realize I would be happier buying a new handgun. Thanks for the replies.

Holy Shiite! Buy that damn thing before he changes his mind! The scope is worth more than that!

Bugs100 said:

If I were you, I'd buy the Kimber. The scope alone is worth at a minimum most of the $350. This is a situation of circumstance. The gun is worth probably more than the $350, without the scope.

Don't let me paint my posts as negative. Some guys tend to think they can buy a $400 new gun, install a $75 scope and take out woodchucks at 600 yards, every time. Ain't gonna happen. Other guys think they need a Sniper Rifle to shoot deer at 200 yards. They need to learn to shoot.

You're neither person, from what I can tell from your posts.

See I told you I was a handgunner. I had no idea what a scope was worth untill this post. To tell the truth I havn't looked a scope in 40 years. I focused all my time on handguns for the last 40 years and have a large collection of them. I just bought my first shotgun in 20 years last week. It will probaly sit in the safe with the other 3 for another 20 years. haha

Leupold's are generally good, but don't like the wet or cold.
That hasn't been my experience. I've hunted every year for the past 5 years with a Leupold on my 870. I've been in rain and snow many years and in cold every single year. I have never had a problem -- with the scope, that is. Lots of problems with not seeing deer and a couple problems with the nut behind the trigger. But the scope was great...

Well, as I've mentioned before, I used to shoot Bench Rest. Competed at Dunham's Bay, NY (near Lake George) quite a bit, and shot in the Winter League. First shoot of the year, mid-January, I realize that my paralax was still set for 200 meters. Have to change the paralax, AND the zero, and it's 20-25 below zero out. No problem, it's a Weaver T-25 scope. My friend Seeley has to make adjustments, again no problem, he's got a Bausch and Lomb 36X scope. Leupold scopes were really popular. Everybody that had a Leupold and had to make adjustments found they couldn't. They could turn the adjusters, just nothing really happened, the scopes had "frozen" internally.

Another friend has freezer tested scopes before he'll use one, AFTER he had a Leupold fog up on a hunt, wrecking his day. He hasn't had a Leupold pass the freezer test yet. I tried the Lepold that I have, it failed. But my Weaver's passed, and a Bushnell Sportview passed. And those Bushnell's are cheap scopes.

So, I can't recommend a Leupold for ALL uses. IF they're not used in EXTREME weather, yes, they're outstanding optics. But, I'll stick to my other brand scopes that don't care what the weather is like. I'm kinda partial to the 4X PSO-1 scope that's sitting on my RomAK 3, but I haven't freeze tested it yet.

I figured there's very little that gun enthusiasts like better than talking about which gun they're looking to buy next... So I thought I'd offer this up.

I'm planning on getting a rifle in the near- to very near-future. My armory is chock-full of shotguns and pistols, but rather lean on centerfire rifles (I've only got four - two M1 carbines in sad shape, one ancient Mannlicher-Carcano, and a Marlin Model 336 lever action in .30-30). So, needless to say, I've got a gaping hole in my armory.

I'm also rather short on funds, so the arms under consideration aren't going to be on the pricey side (i.e. no full-blown AR-15s). This also means that guns that shoot hard-to-find (read: pricey) ammo are out as well (there's a reason the Carcano is a safe queen, and that's because the Norma 6.5mm ammo is something ridiculous like $40 for 20 rounds. NFW).

I'm torn between a battle rifle like a WASR-10 or FN/FAL (if I can find one that's MA legal) or a bolt-action rifle like a Mosin-Nagant or M48 Mauser for long-range ability. The bolties have the advantage of being cheaper (Four Seasons has M/Ns for $100 - $150, and M48 Mausers for ~ $200). The semi-autos have the advantage of firing cheaper ammo (esp. the WASR-10).

So, fellow Northeast Shooters posters, what's your advice on my next rifle?
What did you end up with?

I would go with the FN FAL it's a very good battle rifle that is over looked by many people to day.

Back
Top Bottom