80% AR build/build party info

I have a bridgeport mill An a couple lathes, shapers ect..in my home basement shop, I would be willing to help a few people out, I am in Rehoboth, That being said, I realy don't know what this thread is in reguards to so it looks like I will be going green in a few min.

Welcome to the "Green Side"

I have a bridgeport mill An a couple lathes, shapers ect..in my home basement shop, I would be willing to help a few people out, I am in Rehoboth, That being said, I realy don't know what this thread is in reguards to so it looks like I will be going green in a few min.

Welcome AMV

For those concerned with having the safety positions marked, I have a simple suggestion.
Place a small divot with a drill bit or burr at both locations. Color the safe position with a white dot and the fire position with a red dot. Many firearms are marked in such a way and would save having to get onto the whole engraving/laser etching thing.

But then I'll need a legend on the firearm somewhere stating what the red and white dots mean. :)

Custom AR safety selector markings - AR15.COM

lowery.jpg

I have a full sized mill and I'm assuming everything we'd need to do it. I don't have a DRO but if people do these with a drill press, I can't image we couldn't figure it out with a little ingenuity.

A DRO is not needed at all. Just a convenience. That's what all those little lines are for on the handwheel dials ;-)
Nice mill! wish I had one like that.

You start to get Into the legality of "manufacturing" a firearm at a business, I guess it can be a shady area.
---CNC machinist/programmer for 10+ years.I wish I could just walk everyone through my shop and finish them in a couple operations.

There was an article somewhere where a guy with a CNC machine was doing just that. He set up the machine and had it already to go. The 'owner' of the receiver that was being made, pushed the start button on the machine. Because he started the manufacturing process, legally he was the one who was manufacturing the receiver. The article discussed the situation and found that this was legal.

There was an article somewhere where a guy with a CNC machine was doing just that. He set up the machine and had it already to go. The 'owner' of the receiver that was being made, pushed the start button on the machine. Because he started the manufacturing process, legally he was the one who was manufacturing the receiver. The article discussed the situation and found that this was legal.

Ares Armor affiliated build party does just that: 80% FAQ - Ares Armor

What happens at a build party?
You take your 80% lower to a Machine Shop. You then put the lower in the CNC Machine and press start.

I have pushed that button, Used to be a guy in NH KT ordnance, but has since moved to Montana

I'd like to participate in a build party. I put in for an AR-15 lower and donated $25 to a AR-15 jig. I'm located on Taunton and willing to travel.

UPDATE: late to the party and didn't read previous posts... /facepalm

Ares Armor not only sells the 80% lowers but they are set up for people to do "push button" completions and this HAS been reported on in the news several times. They have not had legal issues.

You start to get Into the legality of "manufacturing" a firearm at a business, I guess it can be a shady area.
---CNC machinist/programmer for 10+ years.I wish I could just walk everyone through my shop and finish them in a couple operations.

In for a build party. I paid for 2 AR15 receivers and $25 towards a community jig. I live in Eastern MA and willing to travel. I can buy food and beer and contribute towards driill bits, etc.

in for the build party. Have a ar15 lower and kit ordered. In the boston metro area, but can travel anywhere.

Also, if anyone has a 3d model for the jigs, I can print some up at work, and bring to the party

In for a build party anywhere, could bring food and drinks. I can get real good drill bits if needed, but it seems some of the guys on here have more equpment and are better suited for the job.

Metrowest or Worcester.

Can go to Boston or whatever other reasonable (1 hour?) distance from Metrowest.

I'll need some handholding. I contributed a bit toward a community jig, but I'll chip in more for supplies, materials, wings, etc. for a build party.

I'd be interested as well. I bought both the AR15 and 10 jigs and would be happy to bring them along. Also have bits and a couple table-top drill presses and a grizzly mini-mill if those would be helpful to have. Have some basic milling bits and related along with drill bits.

I'd be interested as well. I bought both the AR15 and 10 jigs and would be happy to bring them along. Also have bits and a couple table-top drill presses and a grizzly mini-mill if those would be helpful to have. Have some basic milling bits and related along with drill bits.

You able to get to Nashua, NH?? I believe we need at least the AR10 jig, if not the AR15 jig too. Or a second AR15 jig so we can have both my drill press and the mini-mill (another person is bringing) going at the same time.

BTW, I have my own build party thread already. IF you want to come up to Nashua, you need to post there. Depending on when these come in, I'll be able to do either one, or more, build parties. I'm also open to having people come/go during the build party day(s) so that we can process more of these.

Last edited:
I posted earlier, offering to bring a finished stripped lower for measurement and comparison. I have now upgraded my order from a jig contribution (AR-15) to buying a whole jig so I can bring that too.

Ok. I have a drill press (nothing fancy)and a nice heated 36' X 24' garage. I'm no machinist but could have a build. I will have an AR-15 Jig. I also have ar-10 tools.

GREAT.. got to get caught up on this thread.

We got enough donations to fund several AR-15 jigs. I did not order any AR-10 jigs as we only had 7 AR-10 lower ordered and 4 of those people bought jigs. Hopefully we can borrow/rent an AR-10 jig from one of them. Depending on the location of the build, I will either bring them or hand off the jigs to someone attending the build.

Noob with 2 AR15 en route from Winter... and a $10 donation for some Jiggy use.

I'm downtown Boston... work in Westwood normal hours, and am willing to drive out towards 93/95 interchange or Malden area. I doubt my tools will be of assistance, but if we've a host in the area, I'll connect to see what might help... in addition to some post-mill-suds.

Who's got that area covered and willing to host another?

I hope this is a good place to ask this. Does anyone know if one were to choose to anodize the rest of the finished lower, would that require changing the dimensions that the holes are drilled at? Does anodizing remove material causing dimensions to change? Also is there any process I could do at home to harden the holes without anodizing?

Noob with 2 AR15 en route from Winter... and a $10 donation for some Jiggy use.

I'm downtown Boston... work in Westwood normal hours, and am willing to drive out towards 93/95 interchange or Malden area. I doubt my tools will be of assistance, but if we've a host in the area, I'll connect to see what might help... in addition to some post-mill-suds.

Who's got that area covered and willing to host another?

Im in the boston area too... looking for a closer build. The one in NH is a bit of a drive.

Back
Top Bottom