• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR build/build party info

If you wish to attend or host a build party post your location.
Also drill presses and mills would be the most in demand pieces of equipment for these parties. List what you might have that would help out in that area.

Last edited:
I live in Malden and would like to attend a build party, (I'm throwing down on a jig). I'll drive a reasonable distance to do this. It's my first time and I don't know much about ar's so it'll be a learning experience for me.

I'm in 'ze Boston area. Will drive for party. donated to the NES Jig Fund as well. Total noob when it comes to machining, only bought one 80% AR15 lower. Will need hand holding.

As for tools.. I've got hand tools! and punches.. and specialty BMW tools, bout it.

Am located in central NH (near Laconia) and will drive 2 hours to attend a build party.

Also, I have a Taylor horizontal milling machine with some tooling and a 9" by 4 1/2 foot South Bend lathe. Also a floor stand drill press. I am not a machinist and would like to learn to use these tools. Am willing to buy more tooling. Need help with set up to do AR lowers.

Within 50 miles of Nashua, NH. I have Vice Blocks and hand tools to bring.
I do have a table top Mini Mill, But I would have to re tram the movements
I am looking at adding a 3 axis DRO (digital read out) to it. I could transport it
weather permitting. I also have some tooling for it. I have 3 lowers to finish.

Malodave

Last edited:
in for the build party. I am at the 93/95 exchange in woburn. I will be willing to travel a bit to build. I have stand up press that could manage this. I would love to have the build someplace with CNC machining. I would kick in for tooling, beer, lunch whatever the host needs.

I have a 12 speed drill press (floor model), two vises for it (one fixed, one two axis), a good drill bit set (cobalt, 29 piece going up to 1/2") and a right angle die grinder (with abrasive discs and maybe some dies too) plus a good air compressor to run other tools. I can host (all the tools are in the basement, so better than outside temps) and several of us could fit at a time. Will also have beer on tap for after we're done using the tools. There's also a gas grill right outside the kitchen. I'm thinking about having some chili made before hand, which will be available AFTER we're done. No "Blazing Saddles" campfire scenes in the basement please. [smile]

If someone wants to bring a mill, I can make room for it on my bench. I also have two clamp kits (the larger one doesn't work with my tools, but the smaller one does) that can be leveraged too. I have a 7x14 lathe now, so if you have something you also want turned, bring it. I have bulkhead access to the basement, if you have a tool to bring in for power and such.

I'm still deciding on which lower to get, or if I can pull together the funds for one of each. I'm looking at an AR10 lower, so I hope someone that's getting the jig can come. I'm on the fence about getting an AR15 lower, since I have a pair of synthetics right now, plus a complete rifle.

I've thought about this. I have a 1944 m-head Bridgeport mill and quite a few metalworking tools from my knifemaking...seems this is just mainly drilling a few precision holes and milling out the main slot to spec?

Sorry for the questions I had earlier Winter. I had time to read through the thread. I'll post my order in the gb thread momentarily. I'm in the Worcester area and would like to attend a build within 45 minutes of me. I also want to contribute to a community jig but don't know how much you need. How are funds stacking up for these?

Willing to host in westfield. I'm on the fence about a jig but due to the lack of feedback from western ma guys I'm leaning towards buying one. I should have access to 1-2 mills and have been looking in to picking one up. I have a 1100sq ft garage/ workshop with plenty of room. So it's really up to western mass guys.

Other option is I'd be willing to take a ride out to worcester to put one together with winter. Ride wouldn't be awful. Has anyone else voiced interest in a Worcester build?

Posting drill bit info from feeler, for those that don't want to sort thru 32 pages. [smile]

Thank you, for posting your original info 7.62x39 & Archilochus and for all their additional input and help !!!

These are the drill bits you will need. Forget about H & L you will not need them since the buffer tube is already finished on these. I already had several of all of these (except the #42 aircraft) but I wanted to start with brand new, high quality bits to do these.
I bought US made, Titanium nitride coated cobalt. I don't use these for anything else. I bought 1 of each size except for the 1/8" which I bought 3 of since it is used so much in doing these. I got them from MSC and it cost me $53 including shipping.

For these lowers it looks like only C, D, and E would be needed. It looks like A, B, J, K, G, and F are done already. I can't figure out what "I" is for.

To do a proper job on the trigger/hammer and safety holes, they should be drilled a few thousandths undersized and reamed to the finish size. I have the reamers - if anyone needs to borrow them, let me know.

"I" bit is for the bolt catch pin which is why you need the aircraft length, you will never get near it with a jobber length bit.

After talking with "7.62x39" about other tools we will need for our build, he indicated we will also need end mills in 3/8" for the FCG pocket and 1/4" for the trigger slot area. (Thanks for all your help !!!)

I obtained additional info from Archilochus regarding the reaming process. (Thank you !!!)

For the trigger and hammer pins, a 5/32 reamer, and the holes drilled with a #23 or #24 'wire gauge' drill. Some people just drill these with a 5/32 bit and don't bother with the reamer - but this will result in a sloppy fit. A drill bit just can't make holes with good tolerances.

For the safety the specs call for a 0.376 reamer and a letter 'U' drill bit. Again, just using a 3/8 drill will work, but will be sloppy. I used a 0.375 (3/8") reamer because I had one, and it worked fine.

It's best to drill the undersize holes with the wire-gauge or letter drill, and - without moving the setup - chuck the reamer and ream the holes. Use the slowest speed on the drill press (or mill) for reaming, and liberal cutting fluid (kerosene or just light machine oil works OK).
You could even turn the drill press by hand if it does not have a very slow speed setting.

If you're using a jig, you might first "spot drill" the holes with the full size drill ( just touching the surface to leave a small indentation). Then drill through with the undersize wire or letter bit, remove the jig and ream the holes.
The undersize bits might not center properly in the jig on their own.

BTW - look for decent US made stuff - avoid the Chinese stuff.

51682d1358864408-feeler-80%25-ar-15-lower-drillsizes.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for a build somewhere SE mass. Best I can do for tools is a dremmel for little bits. I am always willing to bring snacks and beverages to any build party.

Just a note, the jig above and corresponding list of bits is for doing a 0% receiver. As Archilochus pointed out, not all of these are necessary for the Ares 80%

Heck with the build party, I want to come over now.

That could be arranged you know... [smile]

I need to keg up another batch, and brew more soon. Also got some stuff in bottles (mix of older beers, some bigger than others, plus meads aging) that can be poured to glass. I have a 12.5% wee heavy and 8.9% old ale in keg, carbonated (resting in the basement) too.

I'm in the south shore/Plymouth area. Can't host nor do I have appropriate tools, but I can find a packie for cold beverages. Put some money in for the nes jig.

I got 2 lowers to play with and will probably need lots of help since I've never done any machining. If anything goes up in flames, I'll be able to handle that though.

- Todd -

Is it legal for a MA resident to go into NH for example with an 80% lower, attend a build party, and then return with a 100% lower (firearm) and cross borders back into MA? Just trying to figure out if, myself as a MA resident, can go to a NH build party or not, or if its a legality issue to begin with.

I'm in Chelmsford. I'm still waiting for the finances to settle before I put an order in - but it will likely be for multiple lowers - and I think I'll be getting the AR-15 and the AR-10 jigs. I don't currently have any of the machine tools that are needed to finish these off - but a friend, who I'm likely going to be getting a lower or two for - has said he has access to a Bridgeport, so something might be able to be arranged there.

I believe this would be up in NH.

Is it legal for a MA resident to go into NH for example with an 80% lower, attend a build party, and then return with a 100% lower (firearm) and cross borders back into MA? Just trying to figure out if, myself as a MA resident, can go to a NH build party or not, or if its a legality issue to begin with.

Lower is not a firearm in MA

That could be arranged you know... [smile]

I need to keg up another batch, and brew more soon. Also got some stuff in bottles (mix of older beers, some bigger than others, plus meads aging) that can be poured to glass. I have a 12.5% wee heavy and 8.9% old ale in keg, carbonated (resting in the basement) too.

SO IN at your place. I have dremil and new drill bits plus the portable drill press mentioned before. If you are serious about hosting you should figure out how many people you want max and then figure out what is needed for jigs. Between us We could purchase what is needed and split it. I am only doing one ar15.

At the end because you hosted you can keep the jig or sell/ lend it to others that need it. As the host I think you should have to pay less if anything.

Last edited:
SO IN at your place. I have dremil and new drill bits plus the portable drill press mentioned before. If you are serious about hosting you should figure out how many people you want max and then figure out what is needed for jigs. Between us We could purchase what is needed and split it. I am only doing one ar15.

I think 10 people would be a good number (for the max)... Might be able to do more, just not sure. Not everyone would be able to be in the basement at once though. As long as someone also has an AR10 jig, I'll be good (that's the main lower I want right now). Should I start a thread, or can people interested in coming over here just shoot me PM's?

I don't think we need another drill press with the one I have. An end mill (4 flute) and/or small milling machine could be a serious help in getting these finished better.

BTW, if you want to scoot up before then, let me know.

I'm in Burlington, MA. I can't host But would like to attend a build party. I am hoping to find and attend where someone is doing both AR -10 and 15. I will have a 15 jig but am hoping to find someone who with a 10 jig.

Looking forward to learning.

I would bet people posting "in" and just add the list to one of your posts here. If I don't have to bring drill I'm in for buying some tooling of your choice. Now we have to work on getting 7.62x39 there so someone knows what to do. I think I could do this on my own but a BP sounds more fun

So what does this wonderful state classify as the firearm? I know buying uppers the dealers don't even ask for id let alone ltc.

Believe that once it's capable of being fired, the clock starts ticking on doing your FA10 form (or whatever that crap is)... So, once it's a complete rifle/firearm, then you need to get moving on the paperwork. Otherwise, you're good.

Check the laws to be 100% sure on that though.

IN.

I don't have much to offer, but i could make a sweet mix CD or something. You know, keep it classy with some britney spears, Nsync, 98 degrees etc. I can also volunteer time to man the grill :)

I haven't posted in the GB thread yet, but i'll be throwing a little into the pool for a NES Jig (AR-15). I'm down for a 50 mile radius or so (NH gig with the kegorator sounds ideal IMO).

Back
Top Bottom