• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR build/build party info

The problem is that you may be crossing a line when all you do is press the start button. I know people do it but no one that I know will even consider it.

Someone on here has got to have connections to someone at a CNC shop that would be willing to help us out.

why are you so hung up on the whole CNC shit? For forged 80% it looks like you need a couple of endmills, set end stops and rock it back and forth to get the FCG pocket done. It's like people really need to complicate shit more than necessary. May be a neutron laser discombobulator needed for this?

The problem is that you may be crossing a line when all you do is press the start button. I know people do it but no one that I know will even consider it.

At minimum you would be violating the intent of the law if not the letter of the law.
Anybody who would host a CNC type party is just asking for trouble. Those types of parties will eventually ruin it for those of us who do actually BIY especially with them being solicited on open forums.

The law states that as long as the owner of the gun is pushing the start button of the CNC, it counts as his fabrication. This is how Ares Armor has CNC build parties for their customers. They setup the mill, the customer loads it in mill, and presses the button, they are the ones who have made it. I even think that the customer needs to put the 80% piece in the mill. The act of creation - pressing start - is all the law looks to for fabrication of the weapon.

80% Build Party - Ares Armor

Using a CNC is no different than any tool. as long as I am the one pushing start, I am building the part. it just makes things easier than needing a jig and presses.

Last edited:
The law states that as long as the owner of the gun is pushing the start button of the CNC, it counts as his fabrication.

Please direct me to where the law states that.
As I said previously, it may not violate the letter of the law, but most definitely the spirit of the law.

why are you so hung up on the whole CNC shit?

Because for the majority of today's youth, that is the only prayer they have of actually finishing one of these. Anything that requires more than two thumbs to operate, ala a game controller, is way over their heads.
I've been shooting for 45+ years and building firearms for 15+ years and some whippersnapper with barely a month under his belt wants to tell me what's up. LMFAO
If you don't have the wherewithal to build it, don't buy the blank and expect somebody else to build it for you.

Where's the pride in doing one on a cnc? Originally I didn't know what was involved and what could be done on a mill/press. Between what 7.62x39 has posted for pics and others I've seen I'm not sure why someone would want to press a button. I like building things and taking pride in what I do. Besides a serial number there isn't much difference with a stripped lower at that point. Plus what kind of party would it be if they were done by the push of a button.

Where's the pride in doing one on a cnc? Originally I didn't know what was involved and what could be done on a mill/press. Between what 7.62x39 has posted for pics and others I've seen I'm not sure why someone would want to press a button. I like building things and taking pride in what I do. Besides a serial number there isn't much difference with a stripped lower at that point. Plus what kind of party would it be if they were done by the push of a button.

That's why I have done so many 0% forgings. The only part that takes time is the mag well. Try that with a drill jig.

You can still f*#% it up pushing a button.

I got in this for a lower and included a jig, figured would always be good to have extra.
Would like to get in on a build party when the time comes.
Other than the jig, I have drill bits, dremel, and air die grinder.
I'm metro west, near MA pike, Rt95, so can get anywhere fairly easy.

Steve

Where are the builds taking place? I kicked in on a jig, not a machinist so I need to tag along with a group. Trying to figure out where group jigs and builds will be. I live south east MA but will travel. Could someone pm me details. Thanks.

Regardless if it's a CNC push-button or a drill press/mill set-up, is there a build party planned for anytime in the next 30 days or so. I live in RI and I don't think these parties take place here. I am willing to drive just to finish my lowers. I have the complete jig set and am willing to buy all the drills ( given its a part that probably wears down the most). I would even be willing to rent equipment in someone's shop couple of hours of use. Since my move to RI, I no longer have a garage or a basement....drives me nuts.

Anyone in this from Cape Cod with a Jig? I may have a shop and will be able to host a very small group. My friend is allowed use of a garage which has drills, press, equipment. We will be working after business hours. We tip my friend. Work at your own risk! Not sure how many people but it has to be low key so maybe around 4, so we can finish at least one first night visit (lol). The one with a jig gets to come of course. This is a feeler and not yet confirm.

Anyone in this from Cape Cod with a Jig? I may have a shop and will be able to host a very small group. My friend is allowed use of a garage which has drills, press, equipment. We will be working after business hours. We tip my friend. Work at your own risk! Not sure how many people but it has to be low key so maybe around 4, so we can finish at least one first night visit (lol). The one with a jig gets to come of course. This is a feeler and not yet confirm.

That would be sweet if you did host one. You can put me on that list as that would be closer to me than Nashua. I don't have the jig I only contributed to one.

that would be perfect for me. i contributed to the community jig, so i'm sure we could get atleast one to use for the party. unfortunately, i have no clue what i'm doing so hopefully one of the other people going does.

See if there is a HACKERSPACE near you guys in Mass.

There is a similar one in Nashua called MAKEITLAB. MakeIt Labs
It is a 6000 SQft area with lots of tools and such to build your ideas.

The Nashua one has a large MSC knee Mill, a Sherline Micro CNC mill, and
a Seig X2 Mini Mill like mine. The Seig needs some work that I would probably
do to it after I become a member. They have three or four Lathes of various
sizes. There is a car lift to be able to work on your vehicle. They have CNC
Plasma Cutter also.

Look into it.

Malodave

Last edited:
OK, there are WAY to many posts to read through them all, does anyone have a list of what build parties have been confirmed and or have space available?

Sorry I just dont have the tools or space to host one myself

OK, there are WAY to many posts to read through them all, does anyone have a list of what build parties have been confirmed and or have space available?

Sorry I just dont have the tools or space to host one myself

Check the other threads in this forum for specific build-parties in various locations.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ar-build-build-party-greater-boston-area.html

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...90183-80%-ar-build-build-party-nahsua-nh.html

Last edited:
Well, this was a ****ing failure... THANKS WINTER

We've been holding build party days for months now. We've had weekends where no one shows up (even though they said they would), and others where too many showed up (the first day). We've refined the process to make the lower damned close to what you get when you buy a 100% lower.

That's even WITH everything that winter has done to us (collectively). As far as I know, the Nashua build party is the only one that's happening. We've had people drive about 1-1/2 hours (each way) to partake.

Golddiggie, I'm not trying to take anything away from all of the hard work you've been putting into this. Trust me, I appreciate the work that you and others do to make this community so great. The failure is the vast majority of us never got lowers/only recently got refunds. And now the thing with the billets...

Golddiggie, I'm not trying to take anything away from all of the hard work you've been putting into this. Trust me, I appreciate the work that you and others do to make this community so great. The failure is the vast majority of us never got lowers/only recently got refunds. And now the thing with the billets...

I've been watching the latest developments in the group buy [aka total butt-hurt] thread... I'm not sure if I have any 'spare' lowers now. I hope I have enough to provide the remaining build party members. Winter/wayne took back 15 of them the last time he was here, to deliver the TM fail jigs. While the TM jigs might work with enough people, we've streamlined the process to have no top plate in place while processing the lowers. Since the TM jigs are held together WITH the top plate, they are not viable for us. I've sent those two back to him, and already have the jigs from aimsmall (from calguns).

We've not been discriminating towards people wanting to bring lowers up/over for processing. If you have one from another group buy, or just one you picked up on your own, you're welcome to come over to finish it/them.

Back
Top Bottom