80% AR build/build party info

I hope this is a good place to ask this. Does anyone know if one were to choose to anodize the rest of the finished lower, would that require changing the dimensions that the holes are drilled at? Does anodizing remove material causing dimensions to change? Also is there any process I could do at home to harden the holes without anodizing?

I plan on getting the inside hit with cerakote post build. Same as the AR10 lower (the entire thing will need to be finished there, since it's raw) I'll have. I have some samples on hand of those finishes and have a few more coming (could be here today). So, if people want to see them in person, they can (during the build party especially).

Also is there any process I could do at home to harden the holes without anodizing?

Don't get yourself all wrapped up in worrying about wear. The load to surface area ratio is tiny. If you are really worried about it, just use anti-rotational pins.

Wondering about etching the 80%, I assume it does not come with any etch marks from ARES. So we will need to add our own Safe/Fire marks as well as identifying marks. Do we use a simple engraver, or do we etch the aluminum?

Does anodizing remove material causing dimensions to change?

Anodizing adds ~ 0.001" +/- (type III hardcoat adds a bit more).
The specs call for the safety and takedown/pivot pin holes to be reamed 0.001" oversize - might be to allow for the anodizing.

Re-anodizing (strip and re-finish) will enlarge the holes slightly.

Anodizing adds ~ 0.001" +/- (type III hardcoat adds a bit more).
The specs call for the safety and takedown/pivot pin holes to be reamed 0.001" oversize - might be to allow for the anodizing.

Re-anodizing (strip and re-finish) will enlarge the holes slightly.

So if we're going to cerakote the lowers later, we should ream the holes a bit more? Or will things be ok if done to spec??

At this point, I'm thinking of just doing something to the inside of the AR15 lower, to protect the metal. Not sure what just yet. The AR10 lower is probably going to be hit with cerakote.

So if we're going to cerakote the lowers later, we should ream the holes a bit more? Or will things be ok if done to spec??

At this point, I'm thinking of just doing something to the inside of the AR15 lower, to protect the metal. Not sure what just yet. The AR10 lower is probably going to be hit with cerakote.

I've never used Cerakote, but I'm guessing it adds quite a bit of thickness - you might want to plug the holes while finishing to protect them from getting the cerakote in them. I wouldn't go oversize on the holes - don't think you'd want to end up with the cerakote as your bearing surface.

I've never used Cerakote, but I'm guessing it adds quite a bit of thickness - you might want to plug the holes while finishing to protect them from getting the cerakote in them. I wouldn't go oversize on the holes - don't think you'd want to end up with the cerakote as your bearing surface.

Good advice... I'll make sure the guy either has plugs that are the right size, or I'll be sure to provide some.

Wondering about etching the 80%, I assume it does not come with any etch marks from ARES. So we will need to add our own Safe/Fire marks as well as identifying marks. Do we use a simple engraver, or do we etch the aluminum?

That discussion begins about halfway down page two and runs on and off to about halfway down page three. There is also some discussion on that in the feeler thread

I am in the restaurant business. I would be happy to bring Clam Chowda and Lobster Rolls to my designated build at cost to our group. Food cost around $10 pp.

Hey Winter, while were are waiting for the 80% to arrive should we be trying to find a location in southeast MA or Central Ma for the build party? Just trying to keep the discussion going, hoping to get some of the logistics sorted out. [smile]

Hey Winter, while were are waiting for the 80% to arrive should we be trying to find a location in southeast MA or Central Ma for the build party? Just trying to keep the discussion going, hoping to get some of the logistics sorted out. [smile]

I am all IN for a SE mass build. As I said in earlyer posts, the only thing I can bring (as far as tools) is a dremel, and snacks [grin]

Ok. I have a drill press (nothing fancy)and a nice heated 36' X 24' garage. I'm no machinist but could have a build. I will have an AR-15 Jig. I also have ar-10 tools.

Well this sounds like our best option for a build on the north shore. Let's plan this thing!
I will bring food and zero machining experience. Please hold my hand.

Hello all. I'm from the metro west area, and interested in building. I don't have any parts as of yet. However, I have a lot to learn. So I would be content to watch and learn. Unless I come up with some components prior. Thanks.

I just purchased one of these jigs for $250.00. Now I have changed my mind about doing a 80% build. If anyone is interested in buying it let me know. I will be posting it in the classified section.

pix884685987.jpg

Someone on here has got to have connections to someone at a CNC shop that would be willing to help us out.

Back
Top Bottom