80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

I don't know if I can get over there this weekend but if you're around next weekend, I've got 4 days off, I'm SURE I can find some time

These are 5/8" bits... If you want to come over to check them out, and advise, let me know... Input from someone that actually does this stuff professionally would be greatly appreciated.

Billet lower went together flawlessly! Thanks Adam and Dave. I was worried I would eff that one up but I am pleased with the results.
If need help getting Dave's mill out and yours in let me know. I will help out.
I only have two more lowers to go so you need to come up with two new beer recepies .

Dave if you read this post please let me know the size and style of the end mill you said you wished you had the other night. I will pick it up.

The fact that you insist on running an end mill which is 25% larger than the rated capacity of the machine does not help your problem. I'm sure you'll ignore this advise as you have every time I've tried to help you. But if you stick with the recommended .500 end mill you will have no chatter problems.

The fact that you insist on running an end mill which is 25% larger than the rated capacity of the machine does not help your problem. I'm sure you'll ignore this advise as you have every time I've tried to help you. But if you stick with the recommended .500 end mill you will have no chatter problems.

Bubba, I'M not doing this, Dave is... So get off your high horse.

Bubba, I'M not doing this, Dave is... So get off your high horse.

Exactly the type of response I was expecting. I have done several of these lowers on the exact same machine you are using and have run into none of the problems that you have. Yet every time I try to offer some advise, you ignore it and respond with some sort of smart ass comment.

Exactly the type of response I was expecting. I have done several of these lowers on the exact same machine you are using and have run into none of the problems that you have. Yet every time I try to offer some advise, you ignore it and respond with some sort of smart ass comment.

Every time you offer 'advise' it's from upon your high horse... The mill is NOT MINE. How many times do I have to state this?? Dave/Malodave is running that aspect of the process. If you're going to offer advise (that's actual advise, not you beating off from your high horse) then direct it to him, not me.

BTW, why do you even post in this thread? Seriously you never have anything of value to offer. You never signed up to take part or anything. Or are you just looking to be an asstroll??

What does suggesting the correct end mill size have to do with who owns the machine? Where does all this high horse stuff come from? Actual advise? Not long ago you were urging all the guys to start milling down the pads under the selector because you were clueless on how the finished receiver went together. How many of those would have been needlessly blemished if I hadn't mentioned it?
I also noticed that you ended up making blocks for the jigs. That was the very first piece of advise I gave you. You gave me crap for mentioning it, but surprise, surprise, you ended up doing it.

I have run a 4 flute 3/4" endmill taking a 0.150 deep cut without any chatter. I wanted to try a deeper cut but I ran out of material to remove on the piece i was milling.
Yes, it is over the spec stated for the machine. The 5/8" 2 flute endmills would do 0.070" deep cuts with just a mild chattering. We backed it down to 0.050" and they
were doing fine until they dulled up too much. They were bought used so they were not very sharp to begin with.

Malodave

Why don't I just end the build party and everyone can do their own lower the way they want to. I would like to have my weekends back anyway.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that next weekend (with the holiday) will be the final one at this point.

Once I'm working, again, and have my own mill, I might offer up the use for those that still need to process lowers.

So, if you haven't processed your lowers, and want to sooner rather than later, you need to PM me (or Dave) about coming up and then actually come up. It could be a few months (or more) before I actually get my own mill.

From what I've been told, you [wayne] didn't fully refund thumper81 yet. You refunded for the AR10 jig, but NOT the seven lowers he was due.

As for all the rest, need to know if anyone else (besides Kid Presentable) is coming up tomorrow/Sunday (6/30) or not.

Nice to see Kid Presentable and peteyb on Sunday. Got two more lowers (Matrix lowers) processed. Each took about 2.5-3 hours to complete the machining part. We helped peteyb install the LPK he had, so that was less he had to do on his own. Lower looked really nice once finished, both inside and outside.

Anyone looking at coming over during the long weekend to process lowers? Need to know ASAP so we can plan accordingly. If no one chimes up about coming over (need a day and time frame) then we'll be doing other things. We might be at the house, but we might not.

so its about 3 hours for the lower to be milled?

Depending on the person doing the milling. Dave has done it in about 2 hours.

This weekend we were in the 2.5-3 hour range (each) for both people. We have a LPK on hand, currently, to do a test fit of the FCG. If you have a LPK, you can bring that to test your parts. Not sure how much longer the LPK that's been here will be here (it's got a name on it).

I just made a program in Mastercam for the pocket and trigger slot. Gonna try it at my buddy's shop.

Bubba, that's all well and good except for a few things.

1. That has NOTHING to do with the Nashua build party.
2. You've not been involved in the Nashua build party.
3. You're trying to toot your own horn in a thread where it has no place.

If you really want to broadcast that to people, then make you own thread about it.

so its about 3 hours for the lower to be milled?

It took 3 hours to do mine, I've never milled anything before, and not being my machine, I didn't want to push it hard. After I was done, I was shootin' the shit with Golddiggie while Peteyb started his and he made good progress in short time. But plan for the 3 hour mark, you may be surprised at how quick it goes.

Had a great time meeting you guys and machining my lower yesterday. Like Kid Presentable it was my first time on a mill so I didn't want to rush anything, but it definitely helped watching him first so I had a basic understanding going in.

Theres tons of stuff to check out in the shop and like Adam said they have plenty of gear to drool over as well.

Bubba, that's all well and good except for a few things.

1. That has NOTHING to do with the Nashua build party.
2. You've not been involved in the Nashua build party.
3. You're trying to toot your own horn in a thread where it has no place.

If you really want to broadcast that to people, then make you own thread about it.

Oh brother....

Sorry to intrude on your thread!! I was just saying what I was gonna try on mine. Thought this was an 80% lower thread. I now know its just for your 80% lower's.

Woohoo I'm tootin alright!!!!

FU!!!!!

IN for Saturday afternoon 7/06 - Build Party

Will be good to see you again up here. You thinking about making another scrap-yard run?? Doesn't look like this week will be good for it. Not sure what days they'll be open after the 4th either.

The party is in it's final stages now. Not sure how much longer, after this holiday weekend, Dave's mill will be here. Also don't know how long it will be before I manage to get one of my own.

I remember you having 9:30am start time last time i was up there. if it is still available, Ill start first thing saturday.

I remember you having 9:30am start time last time i was up there. if it is still available, Ill start first thing saturday.

9:30am is still the start time, or when the door is unlocked. Before that, and there's a high probability you'll want eye-bleach. [rofl2] Just ask Dave.

Back
Top Bottom