• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

Question about anodizing, what dyes are people using? I cant find any information about specific brands. I am going to try to anodize in my lab area, so I will not be using a kit.

I am also tempted to try a copper coating over the anodized metal. For some reason the idea of a copper lower intrigues me.

You might get a color close to that without using any dye and anodizing. At least with the lowers made from 7075 aluminum. Those made from 6061 should come out a different color even without using dye. As for dye, look at Caswell Plating to see what they sell. There are other sites that say to use Rite Dye with anodizing. Only issue could come from how you seal the aluminum after you use the dye on it.

I think I have all the chemicals needed to do the electroplating, however no resources say whether to do it to raw or anodized.

one way to test that parts are anodized is to check the resistance. Infinite resistance is anodized. So I would say unanodized but I have not researched it. the caswell black comes out very nice. I also used their sealant. (it was cheap) Rit tends to fade with time. I have done 2 uppers and lowers.

Golddiggie, can you PM me the anodizing instructions you have, i want to see if I can set something up in my lab, since I have all the materials, I just need to know what to do with them.

Thanks.

We will be having a build day next Sunday. Got plans for that Saturday. PM me about coming up to do a build. We've been running the build party for months now.

Need to find some time off of work to come down and mill out my last lower. That and to bring you all of that extra stuff too lol.

After Sunday I will need a break from the build party to do some much needed
work of my own. I have three projects for my truck and now I have to rebuild my
home computer now that the main Hard drive is failing.

I may be able to swing a work night or two but I need the next two weekends
to do my own stuff.

Malodave

Anyone that is looking to process lowers after this weekend needs to PM me ASAP. If I do not get a PM from anyone, then I'm planning on closing this down. After that, you'll need to make arrangements to get access to machinery to process the lowers, on your own.

Once the communal jigs have been tweaked, those will be available for use. There will be a sticky thread where you can request, check out and then check in, the jigs. Do not assume these will be ready before early August though. They might be sooner, but don't bank on it. That's assuming we don't need to work with aimsmall to get them altered to be more in line with what we would like.

Basically, consider this your last call to be able to machine lowers in Nashua. Either myself, or Malodave will post up when the PM window is closing. Once it's closed, that's it.

Thanks a million Malodave and Golddiggie. You have been very helpful and very thoughtful for your time and tolerance of the build party.

It has been a great learning experience for me, and I am sure others.

You guys are what NES is all about

Was good working with you on this too...

BTW, if anyone still has lowers up here, PM me. A few people have gone silent since communicating weeks back. If you don't PM me within the next two weeks, I'll have to assume you've been fully refunded the cost of the lowers and no longer need them.

Thanks for doing so many parties, I have just had a million some odd things happening and have to put mine on hold indeffinatly..... Maybe by the time the next 80% lower buy happens I will have time to build mine...

gold and malodave were more than gracious and generous with their time and equipment. a huge thank you to both of you.
p.s. i am totally putting a slidefire stock on my "lower that goes to 11"

Thanks for running these [parties guys, I never made it up but it's awesome how much time and work you put into this for everyone to attend.

just found some 'gold' anodized parts in lab, and I am tempted to try that for my next part. It has a 15 ft gold look to it. Any closer than 15 feet and it looks a bit hazy (matte) and not quite the same as a polished metal.

just found some 'gold' anodized parts in lab, and I am tempted to try that for my next part. It has a 15 ft gold look to it. Any closer than 15 feet and it looks a bit hazy (matte) and not quite the same as a polished metal.

If you put a nice buff onto the part before anodizing it, you should get a more glossy look. You just need to be sure you completely clean off the buffing compound you use. A dunk (not a short one) in acetone, and/or denatured alcohol, should do the trick. Just be sure you don't touch the part with your skin after it's submerged in that cleaning solution.

that looks familiar, Rong Fu or Grisly?

I had to lift the damned head with my bare hands and place it ontol the column while standing on a damned ladder. Good stuph, you'll enjoy it. It has enough torque to peel aluminum like wax. [thumbsup]

I got it at an estate sale and I think its harbor freight. AKA Central Machinery. I had to figure out how to lift it and googled how to lift a mill/drill. Low and behold I found out all you have to do is drill a hole in the bottom of the belt cover and run a chain through the top!

I got it at an estate sale and I think its harbor freight. AKA Central Machinery. I had to figure out how to lift it and googled how to lift a mill/drill. Low and behold I found out all you have to do is drill a hole in the bottom of the belt cover and run a chain through the top!

Nice find Yazz...

Count me in when you are ready to have a build party. It will be great to do them in our area too.

Fired the AR I built from this build on Saturday. Big booms, little holes - everything went as planned. I need to find some better optics, and now that I'm in NH a 30 round mag and a big f'n bayonet for the rifle [grin]

Back
Top Bottom